Author Topic: California pig rules could cause bacon to disappear  (Read 471 times)

Offline libertybele

California pig rules could cause bacon to disappear
« on: July 31, 2021, 10:12:10 pm »
I stopped buying bacon for hubby about 6 months ago when the average price hit about $7.99/lb. I stopped eat bacon, hot dogs, bologna, salami, etc., after my heart attack back in '14.

This is nothing more than a reason to jack up food prices to where they are unaffordable to the average Joe.

California pig rules could cause bacon to disappear

Thanks to a reworked menu and long hours, Jeannie Kim managed to keep her San Francisco restaurant alive during the coronavirus pandemic.

That makes it all the more frustrating that she fears her breakfast-focused diner could be ruined within months by new rules that could make one of her top menu items — bacon — hard to get in California.

"Our number one seller is bacon, eggs and hash browns," said Kim, who for 15 years has run SAMS American Eatery on the city’s busy Market Street. "It could be devastating for us."

At the beginning of next year, California will begin enforcing an animal welfare proposition approved overwhelmingly by voters in 2018 that requires more space for breeding pigs, egg-laying chickens and veal calves. National veal and egg producers are optimistic they can meet the new standards, but only 4% of hog operations now comply with the new rules. Unless the courts intervene or the state temporarily allows non-compliant meat to be sold in the state, California will lose almost all of its pork supply, much of which comes from Iowa, and pork producers will face higher costs to regain a key market................

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/california-pig-rules-bacon-disappear

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline PeteS in CA

Re: California pig rules could cause bacon to disappear
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 08:47:39 pm »
I'm not aware that CA is a big on hog raising, so I'm not sure the impact will be that devastating, especially having had 3 or 4 years to adjust. I'm not justifying that ballot proposition. One need not be a member of CFBF to know that city people have few or zero clues as to how their food is raised and thus ram stupidity down farmers' throats. IOW, I voted against that feel-good idiocy.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 08:51:52 pm »
I live in Iowa and there will be no bacon shortage, so you can suck it Cali.
The Republic is lost.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 01:38:46 am »
I'm not aware that CA is a big on hog raising, so I'm not sure the impact will be that devastating, especially having had 3 or 4 years to adjust. I'm not justifying that ballot proposition. One need not be a member of CFBF to know that city people have few or zero clues as to how their food is raised and thus ram stupidity down farmers' throats. IOW, I voted against that feel-good idiocy.
keep in mind what the feel good law on chickens did to the price of eggs after it passed.

California's law bans the extreme cage confinement of egg-laying hens, mother pigs and veal calves within the state. It also bans the sale of products from these abused animals within California, no matter where the eggs, pork and veal were produced. ... Other states have also moved to ban cage confinement in recent years.Apr 28, 2020

Offline corbe

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2021, 01:48:55 am »
    The glass is always half full.  Maybe all the Muslims will congregate there.   s/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2021, 03:16:13 pm »
This is nothing more than a reason to jack up food prices to where they are unaffordable to the average Joe.

I think this would only impact California.  Iowa and other hog producing areas are not going to add these rules.

So only reduce demand from California and the supply remains basically unchanged.

We might see lower prices outside California.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2021, 06:33:57 pm »
I think this would only impact California.  Iowa and other hog producing areas are not going to add these rules.

So only reduce demand from California and the supply remains basically unchanged.

We might see lower prices outside California.
Is that the way it went with eggs? Seems to me I recall a lot of other poultry and egg farms in other states were forced to follow the rules started in California forcing prices up all over, anyway that's how I remember it.

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2021, 06:46:09 pm »
Is that the way it went with eggs? Seems to me I recall a lot of other poultry and egg farms in other states were forced to follow the rules started in California forcing prices up all over, anyway that's how I remember it.

I do not recall that.  But I find this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/06/us/coronavirus-eggs-price-gouging-lawsuit.html

What time period are you talking about?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2021, 08:15:52 pm »
I do not recall that.  But I find this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/06/us/coronavirus-eggs-price-gouging-lawsuit.html

What time period are you talking about?
@thackney
I think this article from 2015 covers the requirements, costs and the price eggs were pushed to for a time. I see egg prices back, accounting for Bidenflation, back to a reasonable though higher price now that everything has shaken out.