Author Topic: U.S. Senate in rare Saturday session on $1 trln infrastructure bill  (Read 143 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Chuckie; voting on amendments.  IOW, they will amend the bill till they get what they dang well want!

U.S. Senate in rare Saturday session on $1 trln infrastructure bill

The U.S. Senate in a rare Saturday session worked on a bill that would spend $1 trillion on roads, rail lines and other infrastructure, as lawmakers from both parties sought to advance President Joe Biden's top legislative priority.

The ambitious plan has the backing of Democrats and Republicans alike and has already cleared two hurdles by broad margins in the closely divided Senate.

But so far lawmakers have not seen the final text of the bill, which includes about $550 billion in new spending and was still being written on Saturday. Earlier votes were for a shell bill that the actual legislation will be added to once it is complete.

U.S. Democratic Senate leader Chuck Schumer said on the Senate floor that the bipartisan group working on the legislation needed additional time. "The Senate will remain in session today so they can bring this to a conclusion," Schumer said.

"I know all the parties want to get this right. As soon as their legislative text is finalized, we'll review it and then I will offer it as a substitute amendment. After that, we can begin voting for amendments," the top Senate Democrat added.............

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-senate-works-weekend-1-trln-infrastructure-bill-2021-07-31/
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: U.S. Senate in rare Saturday session on $1 trln infrastructure bill
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 10:11:24 pm »
Senate holds sleepy Saturday session as negotiators finalize infrastructure deal

excerpt:

Schumer has vowed to hold votes on both the bipartisan bill and the budget resolution before he lets the Senate leave for a weeks-long summer break. The Senate had been expected to start that break on Aug. 9 but is likely to lose the first week to finish up the two-part infrastructure debate.

"I have said for weeks that the Senate is going to move forward on both tracks of infrastructure before the beginning of the August recess. The longer it takes to finish, the longer we'll be here, but we're going to get the job done," Schumer said.

Updated 5:49 p.m.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/565788-senate-holds-sleepy-saturday-session-as-negotiators-finalize-infrastructure
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 11:32:51 pm »
U.S. Senate in rare Saturday session on $1 trln infrastructure bill

Nothing rare about spending money they don't have.  Over $6 trillion added to national debt since January.  What's another trillion?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 11:49:19 pm »
Nothing rare about spending money they don't have.  Over $6 trillion added to national debt since January.  What's another trillion?

Yes the $$ is a concern, but the bigger concern is what they are adding to the bill, i.e., amnesty.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.