Author Topic: 1 in 5 electric vehicle owners in California switched back to gas because charging their cars is a h  (Read 477 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

1 in 5 electric vehicle owners in California switched back to gas because charging their cars is a hassle, research shows

https://www.yahoo.com/news/1-5-electric-vehicle-owners-164149467.html

In roughly three minutes, you can fill the gas tank of a Ford Mustang and have enough range to go about 300 miles with its V8 engine.

But on a recent 200-mile trip from Boston to New York in the Mustang's electric Mach-E variant, Axios' Dan Primack said he felt "panic" as his battery level dipped below 23% while searching for a compatible charger to complete his trip.
For Bloomberg automotive analyst Kevin Tynan, an hour plugged into his household outlet gave the Mach-E just three miles of range.

"Overnight, we're looking at 36 miles of range," he told Insider. "Before I gave it back to Ford, because I wanted to give it back full, I drove it to the office and plugged in at the charger we have there."

Standard home outlets generally deliver 120 volts, powering what electric vehicle aficionados call "Level 1" charging, while the higher-powered specialty connections at 240 volts are known as "Level 2." By comparison, Tesla's "Superchargers," which can fully charge its cars in a little over an hour, run on 480 volts.

That difference is night and day, according to a new study published in the journal Nature Energy by University of California Davis researchers Scott Hardman and Gil Tal that surveyed Californians who purchased an electric vehicle between 2012 and 2018.

Roughly one in five plug-in electric vehicle (PEV) owners switched back to owning gas-powered cars, in large part because charging the batteries was a pain in theā€¦ trunk, the researchers found.

For the sake of perspective, in 2016 I did a 10K in a park between Fairfield and Vacaville. I left San Jose early in the morning and drove home around noon. The round trip was 130-140 miles, just a bit shorter than Dan Primack's 200 mile trip in which the battery charge level got low enough to make him nervous. PEVs' utility still is very poor, and unless one uses their solely as a commutermobile, one has to plan many activities around the battery range and charging station locations.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 06:42:26 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Hoodat

Three out of five would never have purchased their electric vehicle if they had to pay market price (i.e. not subsidized by taxpayers).
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Keep in mind that any time you see a "range" on an electric vehicle, the range is with no A/C, no heat, no CD player blasting, and no plugin devices charging. You are basically sitting there in silence with no air conditioning or heat.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Joe Wooten

Keep in mind that any time you see a "range" on an electric vehicle, the range is with no A/C, no heat, no CD player blasting, and no plugin devices charging. You are basically sitting there in silence with no air conditioning or heat.

AND with the windows rolled up and NO vent fan running.

Offline thackney

How Much Does Climate Control Affect EV Range?https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a31739529/how-much-does-climate-control-affect-ev-range/
MAR 19, 2020

We cranked up the heat in our Tesla Model 3 to find out just how much of an impact it has.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Kamaji

How Much Does Climate Control Affect EV Range?https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a31739529/how-much-does-climate-control-affect-ev-range/
MAR 19, 2020

We cranked up the heat in our Tesla Model 3 to find out just how much of an impact it has.

Maybe I'm reading the chart wrong, but as I read it, that implies that actual range went up with HVAC running at hi and all seat warmers on, rather than declining, as the predicted range would have it.

Is that correct?

Offline Joe Wooten

No, the black bars are the power consumption, the gray ones the range with that consumption. SO the range declines as the parasite power demands increase.

Offline Kamaji

No, the black bars are the power consumption, the gray ones the range with that consumption. SO the range declines as the parasite power demands increase.

Ahh.  So I was reading the chart wrong!  Thanks for the correction!