Author Topic: For Simone Biles, hubris persists in humiliation  (Read 4053 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
For Simone Biles, hubris persists in humiliation
« on: July 29, 2021, 12:41:41 am »
Simone Biles is human.

I'm not sure if she will acknowledge that.

Coming into this year-delayed 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, the hype around Biles, figurehead of an American gymastics team that was a rare glimmer of optimism in one of the weakest and most controversial Olympic lineups our country has put forth in decades, was so strong that social media made snide remarks to the effect that she was indisputably the greatest gymnast in the world, and that she was a shoo-in for the gold medal. When the International Olympic Committee noted that Biles's routine had crossed a boundary from talent into reckless danger, noting a gymnast could easily injure herself attempting the moves Biles was attempting, her defenders cried foul, claiming that only other gymnasts would get hurt, and it was only further proof that she could do what no other gymnast could and was The Greatest. While social media bragging about celebrities is nothing new (just ask Chuck Norris!), the dread seriousness most of Biles's defenders have expressed is matched only by the arrogance of Biles herself, whose famous quote is "I'm not the next Michael Phelps. I'm the first Simone Biles."

There is a colloquialism, "don't write checks you can't cash." In other words, if you are going to feed and make grand claims about yourself, you had better be able to back yourself up when it is your turn. Well... to put it simply, she didn't.

Biles went out onto the mat and stumbled, then she quit on the rest of her team. She then pulled out of the Olympic Games altogether, claiming "mental health." If that sounds familiar, it's because it has echoes in the actions of an unrelated competitor, tennis player Naomi Osaka, who withdrew from the French Open earlier this year and opted not to contest Wimbledon due to mental health issues. Yet for Osaka, the issue was unrelated to tennis: it was her dispute over requirements to be made available to a sports media that is often hostile and unpredictable. For her to drop out of competition was her right, and I will note that she is representing her country in tennis in the Olympics as we speak—an implicit recognition that, at least in principle, representing your country in the Olympic Games means you are representing something bigger than yourself.

In light of that, and the full knowledge that the American sports media fawns on Biles as one of the great superstars of sport, her claims of "mental health" ring hollow.  Perhaps she is having mental health issues, but they are at least in part of her own doing. Let's make this clear: quitting on your team after a bad performance is not an honorable thing to do, and hiding behind "mental health" to cover for your failures is cowardice, not courage—despite the continued hubris coming from her defenders on social media, and the desperation to make excuses for her, ranging from the IOC judges to Larry Nassar. Simone Biles encouraged the writing of checks on her account that she ultimately could not cash, and in doing so embarrassed a United States of America that is in need of good role models that demonstrate strength, humility and perseverance. Biles's teammates on the gymnastics team showed those traits and salvaged a silver medal from the competition, for which they should (and will likely) be commended. In short, it is time for her and the countless defenders of this disgrace to admit what most average Americans already know about ourselves:

Simone Biles is human.

And that's OK.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: For Simone Biles, hubris persists in humiliation
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 12:54:27 am »
@jmyrlefuller

Did you write that?  Wow!!   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 12:57:46 am »
@jmyrlefuller

Indeed I did. Thank you! :beer:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 01:08:42 am »
@jmyrlefuller

WOW is right...loved it!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 01:24:04 am »
Excellent essay.

The 'greatest of all time' never, ever up & quit for no good reason. So we can put that little canard to bed.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 01:40:12 am »
Adversity lurks in every action a Man takes.
The coward masks his fear, runs away, shouting excuses,
while the valiant grasps this, confronts it and conquers it.

Offline DB

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 02:33:48 am »
I think a lot of blame goes to the media. They put her on an alter and then elevated her further because she was black. They set expectations into the stratosphere while fawning over her life. And now that she's folded the media gets to write all about that bringing in more clicks.

They are destroyers of people.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 02:35:47 am »
I think a lot of blame goes to the media. They put her on an alter and then elevated her further because she was black. They set expectations into the stratosphere while fawning over her life. And now that she's folded the media gets to write all about that bringing in more clicks.

Wasn't this basically what Rush Limbaugh said about Donovan McNabb,   that the media put him on a pedestal because of his skin color?

Offline libertybele

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 02:59:32 am »
Simone Biles has accomplished moves that no other gymnast accomplished.  With her talent and  being used to competing I was surprised that she flinched and  gave up on her chance at the gold.

I don't think the media put her on a pedestal because of race, rather they put her on a pedestal because of her talent.

You are right @jmyrlefuller she is after all human.  She's now having to live with her decision.

Btw @jmyrlefuller great commentary!!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 03:02:17 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 03:08:24 am »
Has @jmyrlefuller found his true calling?  Could be if this is an example!

Well done!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2021, 06:00:13 am »
Great write-up here @jmyrlefuller ... as usual.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2021, 10:30:57 am »
@jmyrlefuller

@DCPatriot   @jmyrlefuller

WOW x 2. I am seriously impressed.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2021, 10:34:51 am »

@DB

The media of today are nothing but whores,interested in nothing but selling press and making themselves famous. EVERYTHING they write that gets published is spin,designed to make profits for them regardless of the harm it does to others.

There are no honest news reporters anymore because management won't allow honesty,so they don't and won't hire them.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2021, 10:38:04 am »
Tremendous writing @jmyrlefuller  .  If you don't write professionally, you certainly could.
James 1:20

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2021, 12:23:04 pm »
@jmyrlefuller

Awesome essay sir!  Please, please, please keep gracing us with your skill!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2021, 01:35:02 pm »
:thumbsup:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2021, 02:29:27 pm »
Can we stop talking about her, already,  there are other Olympic events.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2021, 02:33:18 pm »
@jmyrlefuller

Very well written.  Kudos!
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2021, 02:46:33 pm »
By the way, another American won the All-Around Title,  but I have a feeling nobody is going to even remember her name.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2021, 02:49:38 pm »
Can we stop talking about her, already,  there are other Olympic events.

Be careful what you wish for.  The prima donnas have infected many of the Olympic Sports, if not all.  To expand the "coverage" would send us all into terminal outrage.

If the IOC doesn't get a handle on protests from the athletes, it will be the death of the quadrennial Olympics.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2021, 02:55:54 pm »
The entire ladies team came out yesterday and sassily said they don't owe anyone a gold medal.

I remember womens Olympic gymnastics so differently - Mary Lou Retton & Olga Korbut. My, what changed?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 02:59:48 pm by skeeter »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2021, 03:00:51 pm »
The entire ladies team came out yesterday and sassily said they don't owe anyone a gold medal.

And we don't owe you a plane ticket back to the US either.  Stay where you are.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline skeeter

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2021, 03:07:12 pm »
And we don't owe you a plane ticket back to the US either.  Stay where you are.
They'll come back all right.

And will be feted by the rat media as worthy role models. Sponsors will line up to give them money. Its America today.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2021, 03:57:11 pm »

I remember womens Olympic gymnastics so differently - Mary Lou Retton & Olga Korbut. My, what changed?
They are handing out participation trophies now....

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2021, 06:08:22 pm »
By the way, another American won the All-Around Title,  but I have a feeling nobody is going to even remember her name.
Sunisa Lee.

A very prideworthy accomplishment.