Author Topic: Small talk: Driving  (Read 1804 times)

Offline The_Reader_David

Re: Small talk: Driving
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2021, 01:25:16 am »
Driver's ed in HS (on an automatic), then really learning to drive (i.e. a manual) with my father on a VW microbus, with the unforgiving VW clutch, license at 18.  Didn't get my own car until I was 26, in grad school and married (like all since, joint title with my wife, this first one a gift from my mother-in-law). When it crapped out, we bought an '83 Nissan Sentra with a manual transmission and I taught my wife to drive a stick.   All my kids learned to drive manuals.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 01:34:06 am by The_Reader_David »
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2021, 01:59:23 am »
When I first got my 53 Willys on the road. I had a 500 cfm Rochester 2 bbl on a 350 Chevy. That 2 bbl acted like an on-off switch taking off and if the roads were wet I couldn't take off without breaking the tires loose. I swapped it out for a 390 cfm Holley 4 bbl and it was much more driveable. I have a dual fuel set up on it now and mostly drive it on propane.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 02:00:44 am by Elderberry »

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2021, 08:21:21 pm »
I didn't get my driver's license until I was almost 30. It was a combination of a bunch of little issues: my parents seldom had cars growing up, I didn't get my learner's permit until age 21 (and only then so I could buy a beer if I wanted to, though I didn't drink at the time and still only drink minimal alcohol), and for some odd reason—I think it was related to my mental issues—I simply could not pass that road test. Three failed tests, two of whom humiliated me so badly that it made me literally cry, I was so bad. Eventually the fourth time, I barely passed. The instructor turned out to be the guy who had flunked me the second time, but he was more understanding than the other two.

I'm still not a great driver, though my record is clean.

@jmyrlefuller

Did you live in the city where you could take buses and/or taxis to get where you needed to go? I always wonder how people get around when they're not drivers or don't have access to cars. When those people on "The Five" mention that they haven't driven in years, I always wonder how they get their groceries home. I imagined that they simply made more frequent trips to the store, but I really don't know for sure.

Did you ever try taking driver's ed?

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2021, 08:24:33 pm »
@jmyrlefuller

Did you live in the city where you could take buses and/or taxis to get where you needed to go? I always wonder how people get around when they're not drivers or don't have access to cars. When those people on "The Five" mention that they haven't driven in years, I always wonder how they get their groceries home. I imagined that they simply made more frequent trips to the store, but I really don't know for sure.

I know, right? That is entirely unreal to me...

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2021, 08:27:28 pm »
When I turned 14 they changed the age to get a license to 16. Damn. I took Driver's Ed at school. My instructor was one of the coaches. For our driving instruction, we drove him to other schools, so he could talk with other coaches. If he took too long and we were late coming back, he just had us run all the red lights. When I took my test, I just skipped Parallel Parking. Passed without it. I got my grandmother's 60 Chevy Biscayne(283) at 17. She hadn't driven it herself for years.

@Elderberry

Funny how all the driver's ed instructors were coaches. Why did you get to skip parallel parking?

My heart melted when you said Chevy Biscayne. My late husband had a '59 cream colored one when we were in HS. He sure looked fine driving it.  :yowsa:

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2021, 08:28:44 pm »
I took drivers training in high school which was craziness (a whole story in itself).  My Dad finally took me to get my licence when I was 18.  I wanted a car so he told me I had to get a job to save money and pay insurance.  I got a job and walked to work.  When I had money to pay for insurance he lent me money to buy a car.   I saved and saved and that Christmas I paid him back every penny.  He cried and couldn't believe I paid him back.  It wasn't a lot that I had borrowed but I was making a whopping $1.75 hr. and I had made him a promise to pay him back.  He taught me well.

@libertybele

Great story. Kudos to you.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2021, 08:54:05 pm »
Pretty much the same for me.  I think I had to wait until I was 16 to actually get a DL but it didn't matter much around here in those days whether or not you had one.  In HS I could fill the car up with gas, buy some burgers fries and drinks, and pay our way into the drive in movie for around $5.00. Not necessarily in that order.

I've still never taken a drivers ed class.

It mattered in our house. There was no way I was going to get to drive the car without my license. Daddy played by all the rules and made sure I did too.

I hear you re the cost of a night out. We'd have about 4 or 5 girls in the car, and everyone would pitch in to buy 50 cents' or a dollar's worth of gas and cruise the main drags for the night, stopping at least a couple of times at the drive-in (the kind with carhops) to see who was there and do a little flirting. Cars were usually parked 4 deep, so it was busy and you could eat up a lot of time there. The unwritten rule in those days: the boys could get out of their cars and go from car to car. The girls couldn't without a ding to their reputation! Also, the guys could drag the place, but not the girls. Every once in a while we'd get realllllly brave and drag the drive-in. Then most of the girls in the car would lose their nerve and duck down leaving the driver and her recognizable car to be the "slut" dragging the place.  :silly:

Also, never took Driver's Ed. Learned to drive on rural roads when we'd go visit my grandparents on Sundays.

P.S. Speaking of drive-ins (the movie kind this time), who else hid in the trunk to save $? For us, it was per person, so 4 of us girls got in Paula McC's huge trunk and sneaked in. I think we saw "A Summer Place" that night.

Offline berdie

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2021, 09:06:06 pm »
It mattered in our house. There was no way I was going to get to drive the car without my license. Daddy played by all the rules and made sure I did too.

I hear you re the cost of a night out. We'd have about 4 or 5 girls in the car, and everyone would pitch in to buy 50 cents' or a dollar's worth of gas and cruise the main drags for the night, stopping at least a couple of times at the drive-in (the kind with carhops) to see who was there and do a little flirting. Cars were usually parked 4 deep, so it was busy and you could eat up a lot of time there. The unwritten rule in those days: the boys could get out of their cars and go from car to car. The girls couldn't without a ding to their reputation! Also, the guys could drag the place, but not the girls. Every once in a while we'd get realllllly brave and drag the drive-in. Then most of the girls in the car would lose their nerve and duck down leaving the driver and her recognizable car to be the "slut" dragging the place.  :silly:

I never took DE and didn't get a license until I married, even though I drove. Like your Dad my husband was a stickler for such things.

My girlfriend and I would go to the local drag and cruz for a bit and then go to the hidden dragstrip. In her Mom's pearl pink Caddie.

It could be beat off the line...but not in the long haul, lol.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 09:07:05 pm by berdie »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2021, 09:31:33 pm »
@Elderberry

Funny how all the driver's ed instructors were coaches. Why did you get to skip parallel parking?

My heart melted when you said Chevy Biscayne. My late husband had a '59 cream colored one when we were in HS. He sure looked fine driving it.  :yowsa:

@AllThatJazzZ

Everything I was graded on in my driver's test had points associated with it. I looked at the total points for parallel parking and knew if I didn't screw up  on the rest of the test I would still pass. So I skipped it, got a zero on parallel parking, and still passed.

I also had a cream 59 Biscayne I bought around 75 in Pensacola when I was stationed on the Lex.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2021, 11:22:44 pm »
@jmyrlefuller

I lived in a small town. We had a couple of stores where we could buy the essentials. For a time, one of my parents had access to a work vehicle that we used to get places. Anything else, we had to ask for a ride from friends. That, and I eventually got used to riding a bicycle several miles to the next town for certain things. I didn't really need one in college; we had buses.

But young adulthood, that was incredibly hard on me. I missed out on a LOT.

As for driver's ed, I recall it being offered at my school, but it didn't fit my class schedule. Plus, the school itself was several miles away so without a car of our own, getting there and back wasn't feasible back then if it were held in the summer (for the same reason, I pretty much couldn't do any sort of sports).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 11:24:18 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2021, 05:00:32 pm »
@jmyrlefuller

A lot of people in Boston, when i lived there, would just use zipcar.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2021, 05:26:24 pm »
A lot of people in Boston, when i lived there, would just use zipcar.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

I know there are different ways to get around. I just can't wrap my head around not being able to go where you want to go at will. I think I'd go stark raving mad.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2021, 07:25:43 pm »
Y'all... I can't imagine youth without bugging the gut... hopping lights... going home to get the pickup because we're all going down to the river. Tailgates and bonfires...

Hell, I am near 60 and I do all that yet.  happy77

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2021, 04:55:36 am »
I learned to drive at 15 and got my license at 16 and my parents let me take the car out on my own then. At 17 I got my very first car that was all mine, a 63 Studebaker GranTurismo Hawk with the Avanti drive line. We used to take speed runs after work at Knott's Berry Farm to Camp Pendleton and Back. How cool was it being young and function on four hours sleep after school and an eight hour shift and then do it again the next day  happy77 Also really cool that there was no traffic or cops on the freeway late at night back then.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2021, 03:19:39 pm »
@Weird Tolkienish Figure

I know there are different ways to get around. I just can't wrap my head around not being able to go where you want to go at will. I think I'd go stark raving mad.

Understood... and the hassle got to me living in Boston. But now people have uber and lyft and zipcar and a bunch of other rideshare options, and taxis, publix transit, bicycles etc. Or just renting a car for the weekend.

Personally I enjoy having my own vehicle but plenty of people, mostly younger, do not.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 03:20:48 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2021, 04:54:48 pm »

Personally I enjoy having my own vehicle but plenty of people, mostly younger, do not.

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Well,in those rat mazes known as "Big Northern Cities",if you have a car you can't drive it to work because there is no place to park. Hell,unless you have a garage attached to your house or live in a partmint bilding with underground parking,you can't drive it to work even if you have parking at work because you won't find a place to park it when you get back home.

I wouldn't own a car if I had to live there,either. It makes more sense to take uber/rideshare/whatever rides if you are in a hurry,or maybe a bus for normal "going somewhere",and then renting a car if you want to go out of town for the weekend.

Not to mention a HELL of a lot cheaper because you avoi d spending 30 grand plus for something you will rarely use,plus you avoid having to pay the insurance,parking fees,property taxes,maintenence and other upkeep,etc,etc,etc.

No,you won't save enough money to make up for the high rent or house payments plus the other normal big city taxes,but not adding to them is BIG plus for not owning a car.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 04:56:31 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2021, 06:01:16 pm »
@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Well,in those rat mazes known as "Big Northern Cities",if you have a car you can't drive it to work because there is no place to park. Hell,unless you have a garage attached to your house or live in a partmint bilding with underground parking,you can't drive it to work even if you have parking at work because you won't find a place to park it when you get back home.

I wouldn't own a car if I had to live there,either. It makes more sense to take uber/rideshare/whatever rides if you are in a hurry,or maybe a bus for normal "going somewhere",and then renting a car if you want to go out of town for the weekend.

Not to mention a HELL of a lot cheaper because you avoi d spending 30 grand plus for something you will rarely use,plus you avoid having to pay the insurance,parking fees,property taxes,maintenence and other upkeep,etc,etc,etc.

No,you won't save enough money to make up for the high rent or house payments plus the other normal big city taxes,but not adding to them is BIG plus for not owning a car.
Well, when the cities collapse, that means the refugees will be riding in trucks or buses, at least until those start breaking down. Then on foot.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2021, 12:48:00 am »
Well, when the cities collapse, that means the refugees will be riding in trucks or buses, at least until those start breaking down. Then on foot.

@Smokin Joe

Yeah,now ain't THAT a crying damn shame?

The good news for me is that I THINK I live far enough away from major population centers is that the stench from the rotting bodies won't be unbearble.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2021, 03:40:50 am »
@Smokin Joe

Yeah,now ain't THAT a crying damn shame?

The good news for me is that I THINK I live far enough away from major population centers is that the stench from the rotting bodies won't be unbearble.
Depends on the prevailing wind...and how many get eaten.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis