General Category > General Discussion

Small talk: Driving

(1/9) > >>

AllThatJazzZ:
How old were you when you learned to drive? How did you learn? Where did you learn? How old were you when you got your driver's license? When were you allowed to take the car out without parental supervision?

roamer_1:

--- Quote from: AllThatJazzZ on July 28, 2021, 11:00:07 pm ---How old were you when you learned to drive? How did you learn? Where did you learn? How old were you when you got your driver's license? When were you allowed to take the car out without parental supervision?

--- End quote ---

Drive... what? I was driving tractors and hay trucks as soon as I could reach the pedals.
Got my license at 14 1/2 yrs old, and owned my own car (a 63 chevy pickup) before I was licensed. So as soon as I could legally drive the county road, I went where I wanted... So long as I had the fun tickets  to put in the tank. I had my first trapline afield the winter I was 15 (down in the Swan range, 50 miles away or so), and I drove my first grain truck to the grain elevators that same summer. Didn't get to drive big trucks (anything with air brakes) for a couple more years... And even then was illegal because I was not old enough for a CDL, but I rode shotgun on 18 wheelers about then and drove water trucks up on the forest fires, and dump trucks off the pavement...

Driving something goes all the way back as far as I remember. It's just part of life in the country.

sneakypete:
Started driving when I was about 12. The state road ended not far from me,and I didn't even have to get on the state road because there were sand dunes behind my house,and I could use them to get to the beach.

PeteS in CA:
I think I was driving my Dad's Ford tractor on county roads when I was age 8 or 9. I never got to drive the flywheel John Deere, but I think I did operate his Cat D4 some.

As for cars, I did Driver Training in high school - a few weeks instead of PE - soon after I turned 15 1/2. My parents had to urge me to practice driving. I was 16 when I got my license and my first car (I used it to drive to my summer job between my junior and senior years). I was still 17 when I moved, driving my car and my parents in theirs, from Central California to Phoenix, AZ.

My parents car at that time was a 1969 Dodge Polara, which had a trunk that could sleep 3. My first car was a 1967 Plymouth Valiant (225 cu. in. slant 6).

jmyrlefuller:
I didn't get my driver's license until I was almost 30. It was a combination of a bunch of little issues: my parents seldom had cars growing up, I didn't get my learner's permit until age 21 (and only then so I could buy a beer if I wanted to, though I didn't drink at the time and still only drink minimal alcohol), and for some odd reason—I think it was related to my mental issues—I simply could not pass that road test. Three failed tests, two of whom humiliated me so badly that it made me literally cry, I was so bad. Eventually the fourth time, I barely passed. The instructor turned out to be the guy who had flunked me the second time, but he was more understanding than the other two.

I'm still not a great driver, though my record is clean.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version