General Category > World News

Firefighters battle wildfires raging across south-west Sardinia

(1/1)

240B:

The Guardian
By Angela Giuffrida in La Maddalena
Mon 26 Jul 2021 04.54 EDT

Firefighters are working to put out wildfires that have spread quickly across parts of south-western Sardinia, destroying 20,000 hectares (50,000 acres) of forest and forcing 1,500 people to be evacuated from their homes.

Many agricultural businesses and private properties have been damaged by the fires, which began on Saturday in the province of Oristano.

The EU on Sunday sent four firefighting planes, including two Canadair planes provided by France, to support 11 aircraft working to extinguish the fires raging close to 13 towns. Efforts have been hampered by strong and hot winds.

Newspapers in Sardinia described the fires as “apocalyptic”, with the damage equalling or potentially eclipsing that caused by wildfires in 1983 and 1994.

(more)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/26/firefighters-battle-wildfires-raging-across-south-west-sardinia

GtHawk:
Yeah, yeah welcome to a typical California summer.

Okay in serious mode, I hope they get under control soon and I have sympathy for those who lose homes and businesses. At least, so far, I didn't see any deaths reported.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version