Author Topic: Drafting Women Is Reckless  (Read 346 times)

Offline libertybele

Drafting Women Is Reckless
« on: July 27, 2021, 09:17:37 pm »
Drafting Women Is Reckless

By The Editors

‘The system of conscription,” Captain Basil Liddell Hart wrote after the Second World War, “has always tended to foster quantity at the expense of quality.”

Well, leave it to today’s Senate Democrats — and compliant Republicans — to insist on the chimera of equality at the expense of quality.

Late last week, the Senate Armed Services Committee voted the National Defense Authorization Act out of committee on a bipartisan vote. In their wisdom, senators included a provision in this “must pass” piece of legislation that would amend the Military Selective Service Act to require the registration of young American women for a future draft.

Apparently, that this provision is reckless, imprudent, and unnecessary matters little when weighed against the fact that it is a groundbreaking move toward “gender equality.”

Should we ever need one again, a draft would be instituted under conditions of grave national emergency. Let us be blunt: The purpose of conscription in modern warfare is to provide replacement manpower for soldiers killed, maimed, or captured in a war of attrition. In such a circumstance, the need to quickly process and train fresh cohorts of soldiers would be needlessly complicated by the necessity of sifting through twice as many young Americans to find those qualified to serve in the armed forces.

Drafting masses of young women during such an emergency would do nothing to improve America’s combat readiness. It would weaken it.

In 2015, exhaustive Marine Corps-commissioned studies demonstrated that, under the brutal conditions of ground combat, women are generally more prone to injury, less accurate with their weapons, and less capable of evacuating the wounded. Indeed — outside of a few outliers — the most physically gifted women were on average as strong as the weakest cohort of men. Anyone watching the Olympics this week can see the obvious fact that even elite female athletes are no match for their male counterparts in size, speed, and brute strength. Why should American women compete in the cruel death match of war against men, when everyone agrees that it would be unfair to pit women against men in the 100-meter dash or Olympic Rugby?.................

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/07/drafting-women-is-foolish/
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online rustynail

Re: Drafting Women Is Reckless
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 09:23:33 pm »
Be like The Ransom of Red Chief.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 10:18:15 pm »
The attached editorial is not an argument against drafting women, it is an argument against women in combat.

As the editorial notes, any observer of sports knows that women cannot compete against men in athletic competitions.  Clearly it is insane to believe that women can compete against men in combat.

However the country has decided that women are eligible for combat roles.  So long as this is the case yet women remain exempt from the draft we maintain two tiers of citizenship - men who can be forced into combat and women who can't be forced but can go if they choose.  This is not acceptable.

Although I've never worn the uniform, I don't need a Combat Infantryman badge to recognize that women in combat is a recipe for defeat.  Were it up to me women would not be eligible for combat roles, nor would they be included in Selective Service.  But so long as women are eligible for combat there is no logical reason to exclude them from Selective Service obligations.
James 1:20

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 10:46:41 pm »
No sane Western Civilized nation sends women into combat.

Israel is a special case, and even though young women there may be required to serve in the Israeli military, I'm wondering how many of them are actually "sent in to physical combat" against the muslims enemies?

Offline AARguy

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 06:16:45 am »
Much ado about nothing. No one has been drafted since 1973. Parents don't want a draft. Draft age men and women don't want a draft. The military doesn't want a draft.

Armies arent made up of waves of bodies with swords or rifles anymore. They are made up of tiney numbers of folks that wield tremendous firepower. Like the six guys with three pickup trucks loaded with JAVELIN missiles that defeated an entire Iraqi tank battalion. Like the single aircraft carrying "sensor-fused-weapons" that can decimate a tank or mechanized infantry battalion from beyond the horizon. Like an unmanned aerial vehicle that engage the enemy with pinpoint accuracy, guided by an operator in another hemisphere.

I joined a conscript (draft) Army and when I left it was a volunteer force. The Army I joined had race problems, drug problems and many more "I don't want to be here" problems. The Army I left was so totally different. When I was a contractor in Iraq, a soldier being separated due to medical disqualification came to me and asked how he could join my company. He felt he had a job to finish in Iraq. Such a thing in the Viet Nam era would have been unthinkable.

Many of us remember "MacNamara's 100,000" which was an attempt by the then Secretary of Defense to increase manpower by lowering standards. It took well over a decade to cleanse the ranks of the substandard soldiers it introduced. Attracting quality people is the answer, not a draft. Admittedly, 7 out of 10 draft age citizens today are unable to join due to obesity, lack of a high school diploma, or criminal record. But, again, the solution lies in attracting the best and most qualified folks... not by setting out huge, personnel fishing nets in the form of a draft.

So all this to-do about a draft is simply much ado about nothing.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 10:07:58 am »
Much ado about nothing. No one has been drafted since 1973. Parents don't want a draft. Draft age men and women don't want a draft. The military doesn't want a draft.

That's what I've heard from others who share your experienced perspective @AARguy.  Is the whole concept of the draft permanently outdated?  Maybe Selective Service should be repealed.

James 1:20