Author Topic: Haiti earthquake – Huge magnitude 7 quake strikes in Caribbean as THOUSANDS feared dead after buildi  (Read 525 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
THOUSANDS are feared dead and many more injured after a major earthquake struck western Haiti on Saturday, forcing people to flee their homes amid fears buildings might collapse.

The magnitude 7 earthquake quake struck 8 km from the town of Petit Trou de Nippes, about 150 km west of the capital Port-au-Prince, at a depth of 10 km, the US Geological Survey said.

The U.S. Geological Survey has estimated “thousands of fatalities” and “tens of thousands of injuries in poor mountainous communities" in the aftermath of the quake.

Images posted to social media also showed significant damage to buildings including collapsed homes and rubble splayed across the road.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/3473432/haiti-earthquake-huge-magnitude-7-quake-strikes/
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Somehow I don’t know what to say if thousands can be dead. Prayers doesn’t seem like enough.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
High casualties feared as 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes near Haiti

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/14/world/haiti-earthquake/index.html

The US Geological Survey said it's likely that casualties are "high" after a 7.2-magnitude earthquake struck near Haiti Saturday morning.
"High casualties are probable and the disaster is likely widespread," according to the USGS.

Haiti's Civil Protection told CNN there have been fatalities and damage.

A 7.0-magnitude earthquake that struck Haiti on January 12, 2010, left between 220,000 and 300,000 people dead and injured hundreds of thousands more.

Haiti is in the cone of Tropical Storm Grace, and the storm could have an impact on the area from Monday into Tuesday, CNN Meteorologist Haley Brink said.

Online corbe

They can shore up the shaky finances of their foundation, again.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Construction methods there are anything but earthquake resistant.  **nononono*
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Biden will flood the country with our tax dollars, and bring several thousand back as refugees.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline dfwgator

They can shore up the shaky finances of their foundation, again.

Chelsea needs a new wedding dress.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I haven't seen any coverage on Fox.. :shrug:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

Newsmax mentioned it.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

Construction methods there are anything but earthquake resistant.  **nononono*

The three danger factors there are high density population (this wasn't, not that that is any comfort to the people who live in that area), un-reinforced masonry & poor/no foundation, and liquefaction. The epicenter seems to have been in hills or mountains, but coastal areas are nearby. An extreme example of liquefaction would be the 17th Century earthquake in Jamaica, in which pretty much the whole city of Port Royal slid into the sea.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I've seen coverage on FNC.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

The three danger factors there are high density population (this wasn't, not that that is any comfort to the people who live in that area), un-reinforced masonry & poor/no foundation, and liquefaction. The epicenter seems to have been in hills or mountains, but coastal areas are nearby. An extreme example of liquefaction would be the 17th Century earthquake in Jamaica, in which pretty much the whole city of Port Royal slid into the sea.
Yep. The Bay area in San Francisco built on reclaimed land (filled with rubble and debris from 1906) is likely to suffer something similar when the big one hits. There is a tendency there to build houses up the side of the hills, and that appeared to have a sort of domino effect during the Port au Prince quake, with debris from the higher houses contributing to the demise of those just down the hill.

C S Lewis

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Biden authorizes US response to Haiti following fatal 7.2-magnitude earthquake
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/7.2-magnitude-earthquake-hits-near-haiti
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Hoodat

Looks like another money-making opportunity for the Clintons and their friends.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

Looks like another money-making opportunity for the Clintons and their friends.
I wonder if the Biden "feedback" loop will be at work there. Bet the 'Big Guy' would want more than 10% though.

C S Lewis

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I wonder if the Biden "feedback" loop will be at work there. Bet the 'Big Guy' would want more than 10% though.

Competing Crime Families?  Not a chance.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

Competing Crime Families?  Not a chance.
Dunno, one hand washes the other, and he only gets 10 from Hunter's stuff.

C S Lewis

Online corbe

We can probably expect these two to make an infomercial for Haiti.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
No sweat, cue up Clinton Aid II.