Author Topic: A Disaster of Olympian Proportions  (Read 600 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
A Disaster of Olympian Proportions
« on: July 27, 2021, 01:50:29 pm »
July 27, 2021
A Disaster of Olympian Proportions
By Christopher Skeet

Is it wrong that I'm rooting for the U.S. Women's National Team to lose, and humiliatingly so, this Olympics?

Of course it's not wrong.  The USWNT, led by America's favorite histrionic Megan Rapinoe, protested against racism and discrimination by taking the knee before their first Olympic match.  Though the stadium was empty (certainly nothing new to the USWNT), the attending "reporters" revived each other with smelling salts to swoon and gape at the unparalleled fortitude exhibited by these privileged virtue-signalers in what was dubbed a "social justice reckoning".

I find soccer thoroughly unwatchable and, if forced to choose, I'd rather do something less painful like chew broken glass.  But I won't deny being smugly satisfied to read that the USWNT got massacred by Sweden.  And there are a few other athletes for whose wokism I'm hoping ends in face plants:

GWEN BERRY

Apparently, there's a sport called hammer throwing, and Gwen Berry excels at it.  Unfortunately, hammer throwing doesn't draw the crowds that swimming and gymnastics does.  In fact, had Berry not turned her back and disrespected the U.S. national anthem, most people would never have heard of her.

After the sought-after backlash, Berry parroted the usual yard sign witticisms about how the anthem doesn't represent her, and about how she wants America to "be good to everybody, and not just for the elite or the white supreme."  It's hard to believe that anyone who gets corporate sponsorship for playing with hammers sincerely feels themselves oppressed in any way, shape, or form.  This is simply her "look at me" moment, and it's not about anything except her own ego.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2021/07/a_disaster_of_olympian_proportions.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

Re: A Disaster of Olympian Proportions
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 02:01:31 pm »
Anyone who is a disciple of the particularly obnoxious strain of marxism currently afflicting my country is my enemy, I don't care where they were born. Why would I feel a patriotic urge to support them because they call themselves Americans? They'll just turn their popularity against what I believe.

Haven't watched a single event.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 02:02:58 pm by skeeter »

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 02:06:32 pm »
Anyone who is a disciple of the particularly obnoxious strain of marxism currently afflicting my country is my enemy, I don't care where they were born. Why would I feel a patriotic urge to support them because they call themselves Americans? They'll just turn their popularity against what I believe.

Haven't watched a single event.
I agree, and I haven't watched an event, either. I won't.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 02:09:23 pm »
What choice do we have when the left infects & corrupts every institution & popular event with their evil brand of politics.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 02:15:20 pm »

Ditto.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 07:49:46 pm »
Let me get this right, there's still a thing called the olympics ? Well I'll be jiggered!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 08:47:44 pm »
Ditto.
Judging by your comments elsewhere, you must take in no form of entertainment whatsoever.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 08:57:26 pm »
What choice do we have when the left infects & corrupts every institution & popular event with their evil brand of politics.
Oh, there is plenty else to do, and the results of that please me.
Why devote my time and attention to something that would, eventually, just make me cranky?

I have been enjoying rehabilitating an outbuilding on my days off, and that project is in the final phases. Then I have other things to do, which have lasting results.

It's a shame that those few athletes who are proud of this country will suffer the indifference many of us feel toward the NFL, NBA, and other 'woke' organizations that bend their knee to Marxists, but I'm just not going to give that whole shebang the ratings.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2021, 09:00:54 pm »
The wife is a big fan, so I end up watching what she wants to watch.
The U.S. men's basketball game was on, and she asked me if I wanted watch that. As I didn't watch one minute of the NBA last season, I won't watch them play in the Olympics. I'm glad they got beat by France.
I never thought I'd say that about an American Olympics team, but I don't support anti-American louses.
It goes without saying that I won't watch the U.S. women's soccer team and hope they lose as well.

Offline berdie

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 09:12:32 pm »

It's a shame that those few athletes who are proud of this country will suffer the indifference many of us feel toward the NFL, NBA, and other 'woke' organizations that bend their knee to Marxists, but I'm just not going to give that whole shebang the ratings.

I feel the same.  I refuse to root against this country. I also refuse to root for those that went there under false pretenses and are "making a statement". I feel bad for the genuine patriots/athletes. And that is too bad.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2021, 10:32:43 pm »
Judging by your comments elsewhere, you must take in no form of entertainment whatsoever.

I work and piddle in my woodshop which is quite enough entertainment for me.

I will not engage these woke idiots in any way that I can avoid. @jmyrlefuller
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 10:52:00 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2021, 10:44:08 pm »
I had no interest in the Olympics prior to this year.
And STILL no interest, particularly after the events of this year...!

Online roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2021, 11:10:52 pm »

Well, there's the local mudhole... And local stock car racing... Local softball league and rodeo, and high school football and basketball coming up...

I am finding a vast preference for these local activities, far surpassing whatever it was that I thought was good in national sports. WAY mobedda cheering on kids from families I know and have an investment in. Much more excitement and variety... And all you have to do is stir your stumps and go get some.

I don't see me every caring about natl sports again, just simply because the real thing is so much better. And every event opens with a prayer and presenting the flag. You know, Normalcy.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2021, 06:59:58 am »
roamer-1, what you have now, enjoy it.  The Democommies will take that away too in the not too distant future.

:yowsa: :yowsa: :yowsa:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2021, 07:08:07 am »
roamer-1, what you have now, enjoy it.  The Democommies will take that away too in the not too distant future.

:yowsa: :yowsa: :yowsa:

@jafo2010

They'll have to come and take it. And they will play hell doing that. There ain't a single place on this earth more independent, wild, and liberty minded... And that's ALL of it all at once, from Colorado to Alaska. The Rockies will NOT be moved.