State Chapters > State Politics/Government

Arkansas Senate Candidate Claimed He Joined Army In 2015, Actually Joined In 2017

(1/3) > >>

mystery-ak:
Arkansas Senate Candidate Claimed He Joined Army In 2015, Actually Joined In 2017
Jake Bequette previously claimed he enlisted in 2017. His campaign website said he enlisted in 2015.
by Tom Pappert   
July 26, 2021

Jake Bequette, who recently announced his run to represent Arkansas in the U.S. Senate in the 2022 election, appears to have mislead Republican voters in the state by incorrectly claiming he joined the U.S. Army in 2015, while in reality he did not join until 2017. He was discharged in 2020, but remains active in the Army Reserves.

A source from the Department of Defense tells National File that Bequette is currently active in Army Reserves and could face losing his top secret security clearance due to “this borderline stolen valor”.

According to a status report from the Department of Defense Manpower Data Center obtained by National File, Bequette’s Active Duty Start Date in the U.S. Army was August 8, 2017, and his Active Duty End Date was January 26, 2021, meaning he served for just over three years in the U.S. Army. This runs contrary to what was written on Bequette’s website when he launched his Fox-propelled campaign in early July.

When Bequette launched his campaign two weeks ago on July 12, Bequette claimed he joined the Army in 2015.

In an apparent effort to hide the apparent lie about his military service — and after National File contacted the Bequette campaign for the purpose of writing this article today, on July 26 — the Bequette campaign edited the information on Bequette’s website to read consistent with the claims Bequette made to an online sports magazine in a profile piece published in 2019.

more
https://nationalfile.com/arkansas-senate-candidate-claimed-he-joined-army-in-2015-actually-joined-in-2017/

sneakypete:
I don't get it. Why is this a big deal?

Chances are it was a typo on the fact sheet presented by one of his aides,

SZonian:
9 Aug 1983...1 Nov 2003

Even after all these years, I know what my service dates are.

And as recent as this was, I don't buy any excuse about forgetting, especially given the disparity in years.

But I suppose in this new era of common core, an odd number is the same as any other odd number.  Amirite?

SZonian:

--- Quote from: sneakypete on July 26, 2021, 10:49:29 pm ---I don't get it. Why is this a big deal?

Chances are it was a typo on the fact sheet presented by one of his aides,

--- End quote ---

Maybe, but why edit to match?  Just come clean and admit the error.  FTA:"In an apparent effort to hide the apparent lie about his military service...the Bequette campaign edited the information on Bequette’s website to read consistent with the claims Bequette made..."

GtHawk:
Hey it's Arkansas, after the Clintons what a little lie about when you enlisted, small beans. I don't get the might lose his top secret clearance over it, maybe he should have slept with a Chinese spy, or had a Chinese spy as an aid and chauffer then he could keep his clearance, oh wait I forgot not a democrat.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version