Author Topic: Grassley pressured to run as Democrats set sights on Iowa  (Read 324 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Grassley pressured to run as Democrats set sights on Iowa
« on: July 25, 2021, 12:13:53 pm »
Grassley pressured to run as Democrats set sights on Iowa
By Max Greenwood - 07/25/21 06:00 AM EDT

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) is under increasing pressure to run for reelection as Democrats look to turn around their recent struggles in Iowa next year.

Republicans have publicly and privately encouraged the 87-year-old Grassley to mount one more campaign, seeing his candidacy as a sure-fire way to lock down the Iowa Senate seat. The party is also eager to avoid another retirement after five of its incumbent senators announced that they will not run for reelection in 2022.

Democrats, meanwhile, saw their first prominent candidate, former Rep. Abby Finkenauer (D-Iowa), jump into the Senate race on Thursday.

Iowa will be a difficult target for Democrats, even if Grassley decides to retire. The party suffered a series of setbacks there in 2020: former President Donald Trump won the state by a more-than-8-point margin; Democrats failed in their effort to oust Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa); and the party lost control of two of its House seats – Finkenauer’s included.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/564585-grassley-pressured-to-run-as-democrats-set-sights-on-iowa
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Grassley pressured to run as Democrats set sights on Iowa
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 12:34:04 pm »
I hope he won't run. It's time for Republicans to roll the dice and let it be a competitive seat.

I'm afraid if they don't people will vote against Grassley due to age, or skip over that contest on the ballot.

As far as Axne and Finkbauer, neither have a snowballs chance of winning. I don't know anyone the Dems could dredge up right now that would be competitive.
The Republic is lost.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 11:12:12 pm »
You're right, Vulcan.

87 is TOO OLD. Sorry if anyone here doesn't like that.

Time to find someone new who can run and win on his own.
Maybe the party should DRAFT a good prospective candidate ...?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 11:28:28 pm »
"Pressured" to run by whom, Mitch McConnell?

Online libertybele

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 11:29:59 pm »
You're right, Vulcan.

87 is TOO OLD. Sorry if anyone here doesn't like that.

Time to find someone new who can run and win on his own.
Maybe the party should DRAFT a good prospective candidate ...?

I agree.  Age is a factor. 

TERM LIMITS!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 11:33:30 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 11:31:05 pm »
"Pressured" to run by whom, Mitch McConnell?

Probably.  The man is 87  -- let him be and let him live the rest of his life without all the political drama; especially now.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2021, 11:36:53 pm »
Having followed Grassley for a long time, I do not think anyone can pressure him.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2021, 11:37:16 pm »
Probably.  The man is 87  -- let him be and let him live the rest of his life without all the political drama; especially now.
I never had a problem with uncle Chuck, other than he seemed to be one of the club members who would never do anything to rock the boat. Which is all McConnell requires of any GOP senator - don't do anything that might upset the gravy train.