Author Topic: Another Attempt To Retire A-10 Warthogs Isn't Going Well For The Air Force  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Glad to have you aboard @AARguy @sneakypete and I served in the same unit at separate times during the Vietnam thing. Neither of us have a clue about the technological progress that has been made since then WRT munitions so we would have zero idea about how to apply the kinds of things you are talking about but I'll bet you that we would learn damned quick if we had to.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!

BTW: I almost became a member of that long gray line myself long ago but had gotten married before the appointment caught up with me.  Np regrets on my part as things turned out.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@AARguy

I know you mean well,but you have obviously never played "Custers Last Stand" with a recon team surrounded by the bad guys,who are trying to climb up your back.

The only reason I and countless other SF vets are still alive is the USAF still had A1E Skyraiders still flying during the VN war. I have had them make gun runs so close to me that I could look up and see the pilot smiling and waving as he pulled up again.

And you ain't never seen anybody haul ass like an enemy hauls ass when they look up and see napalm cannisters tumbling towards the ground around them after you have requested "Crispy Critters" over your radio.

You get neither with zoomies firing rockets from miles away.

Yeah,helicopter guns ships and Cobras do a FINE job of shredding an attacking enemy,but they can't get there as fast as the old A1E's,never mind the the A-10's.
I had a wonderful chance to watch A-10s flying over the Nevada desert, and the maneuverability of those planes is stunning. No other aircraft has reminded me so much of a hawk hunting over a field as those pilots did with their aircraft. Knowing just enough to know how the planes were designed and the firepower they carry, I could only think "I'm sure glad they aren't hunting me.

Stop and think about the psychological effect of that on any enemy, especially when they ARE being hunted.

Just the sight of the aircraft, not to mention sound of that gun, would have an effect on anyone, I don't care who you are, as a morale builder for our guys and a morale buster for the enemy.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

rangerrebew

But the primary threats we face today are not in jungles.   

How true!  The primary threats today are believing BLM stands for American values, becoming experts in LGBTQ values, becoming experts in Critical Race Theory, equity for everyone and everything, and learning everything PC.  The point being, as was said elsewhere, none of this matters if you are pinned down and who or what is called matters only in the speed it can get to you.  In the meantime, those people who are pinned down have got to do what they can to survive and I'm not so certain that is being adequately taught.  Most troops don't get the training of a Marcus Lattrell where they can survive in most any situation and that is the training that is needed, not the PC and virtue signalling crap they are teaching.  The military is about life and death and the emphasis today on PC will bring about the latter with increasing speed.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
How true!  The primary threats today are believing BLM stands for American values, becoming experts in LGBTQ values, becoming experts in Critical Race Theory, equity for everyone and everything, and learning everything PC.  The point being, as was said elsewhere, none of this matters if you are pinned down and who or what is called matters only in the speed it can get to you.  In the meantime, those people who are pinned down have got to do what they can to survive and I'm not so certain that is being adequately taught.  Most troops don't get the training of a Marcus Lattrell where they can survive in most any situation and that is the training that is needed, not the PC and virtue signalling crap they are teaching.  The military is about life and death and the emphasis today on PC will bring about the latter with increasing speed.

:yowsa: AMEN!!!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

rangerrebew

Congress Rebuffs Air Force's Plan to Retire Older Aircraft, Putting A-10 Move on Hold

28 Jul 2021
Military.com | By Oriana Pawlyk

With congressional members rejecting the U.S. Air Force’s plans to make substantial cuts to some of its oldest aircraft fleets, the service will put its plan to shift some close air support aircraft to Arizona on hold as it figures out other options.

Last month, the service said it would move some A-10 Thunderbolt II aircraft and HH-60 Pave Hawk helicopters to Davis-Monthan Air Force Base to consolidate close air support and rescue operations while retiring some of the oldest Warthogs in the fleet. Specifically, 14 aircraft that are used for an A-10 weapons course and test and evaluation would relocate from Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada, to the base in Arizona in 2022. The move was predicated on Congress approving the Air Force's 2022 budget request to get rid of 42 A-10s -- an attempt the service has tried before, but to no avail, because lawmakers shot it down.

Lawmakers would block the retirement of the A-10s again if the recent Senate Armed Services Committee’s version of the bill becomes law, prompting a pause in the plans to move the 14 aircraft, the service announced last week.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/07/28/congress-rebuffs-air-forces-plan-retire-older-aircraft-putting-10-move-hold.html