Author Topic: Small talk: Your dream home  (Read 1404 times)

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
Small talk: Your dream home
« on: July 24, 2021, 08:29:52 pm »
Describe your dream home, lot, and surroundings if you could build one without any financial barriers. What unique features would need to be included to make it your dream home? Are there features that most other homes have that you'd omit? Have you ever sketched out your dream home? Do you think you'll ever build your dream home? Are you already living in your dream home?

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Online libertybele

Re: Small talk: Your dream home
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 09:03:30 pm »
Describe your dream home, lot, and surroundings if you could build one without any financial barriers. What unique features would need to be included to make it your dream home? Are there features that most other homes have that you'd omit? Have you ever sketched out your dream home? Do you think you'll ever build your dream home? Are you already living in your dream home?

We lived in our dream home for years; 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, pool bath, large pond-shaped swimming pool with a large lanai, on Gulf access with a dock and boat lift, sailboat and a power boat. We had a lot of fun.  The kids grew up, we retired and started having health issues and we could no longer sail and rarely used the swimming pool unless the grand kiddies came over.

So we downsized and we now live on freshwater vs. Gulf access. We paid off all debt, invested some of the proceeds and cut our bills in about half.  So in that light, we're still living in our dream home and each day that we wake up and are able to function is a true blessing.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline AARguy

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 11:25:43 pm »
We just retired to our dream home.Four bedrooms (master, gym, theatre, office).. three baths (one with walk-in tub, one large shower, one standard). 7 person jacuzzi on the deck. New 20x10 storage shed for extra everything.  Small barn for tools 'n stuff. Fireplaces in dining room and family room. Bay window looking out to the huge old oak in the back lit with a bank of lights. Manicured front yard. Ramps at the doors, handles in the bathrooms for oldster access, French doors everywhere. Huge laundry area with new appliances and a work bench area for woodworking and other hobby stuff. Keepsakes all over from our adventures in Europe, South America, the Middle East and all over the USA. Big screen TV's everywhere. Recliner chairs complete with rising to assist standing up, massage, heat, etc. And cats... lots of loving cats.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 02:08:56 am »
We built this house 12 years ago and pretty much consider it our dream home. It was built to our specifications. It's not full of fancy features, but it's spacious, on enough land that we aren't right next to the neighbors' homes (and we get along very nicely with them). We may downsize in the next few years, however, just because we aren't kids anymore.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online libertybele

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 02:18:27 am »
Home is where the heart is and nothing fancy is truly needed.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 02:58:42 am »
:bkmk:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2021, 04:51:02 am »
Predictably... What I have right now... A 900-1100 ft2 cabin... 1-2 beds and a bathroom. And a whole lot of porch... A barn and a shop, and a whole bunch of critters. That's the parts I don't have now, is the porches. Ran out of fun tickets... and the barn and shop are down at the ranch, a mile off from here.

Doing it all over right now... But way back in the woods at the very end of a two track. Takes half an hour to get to the pavement...

But this time the cabin will be on a puddle lake - right out the front door - That's where I will take my morning coffee, listening to the loons holler. And there's a clear water creek, and enough land to make do for critters. If I can get that one done, I will die on that land.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2021, 05:32:18 am »
One I have now, with all the bugs out of it (no leaks, new roof, good plumbing). Good neighbors are a big plus.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2021, 10:32:11 pm »
Isn't it interesting to see how different our needs are concerning what constitutes our dream home. I'm truly glad for those of you who already have all the things you want in a home. @Sighlass, you're so right about good neighbors. Bad ones can take a toll on your enjoyment of your home.

For those who are far off the beaten path, I envy you. My dream home is just a figment of my imagination and will never come to fruition, but I can dream, can't I?  :shrug:

I'd like to live in the middle of nowhere (but it would have to be in Texas, preferably in Zone 9 so I can have tropicals). The home itself wouldn't be much to look at from the outside but would be a knockout on the inside. It would have a wrap-around, screened-in porch about 12 feet deep with a surface that would be comfortable for little paws to run on. In the very center would be an ample atrium where my tiny dogs could go in and out on their own without my having to be concerned about birds of prey. It would have 2 entrances and would have glass all around so that the atrium could be viewed from the entire house. The exterior wall would have floor-to-ceiling banks of windows pretty much all around. At the end of the wrap-around porch, there would be a 3-season (4-season in Texas) room just off the living room.

The kitchen counters would be built to the specs I need for my diminishing frame so that cooking would once again be fun. The view from the kitchen would be that beautiful tropical atrium. The living room TV would be visible from the kitchen as well. I'd have a craft room with great lighting and a door to close so that my crafting mess won't be visible. A small small guest bedroom and a small extra bath would accommodate any visitors I might have, although I don't really expect any since I don't have family.

I haven't given thought to how far out it needs to be. I just want to be somewhere where I don't  have to listen to people's music or the bass from a car driving by. I don't want to listen to fireworks either. Whatever the distance that requires is part of my imaginary dream home. I sincerely hope it wouldn't require a 30-minute drive to the pavement! I'd like to go into town without too much time expenditure.

If it sounds somewhat like a fortress, I guess it is. I've been alone with my dogs for so long, it's become my comfort zone, so this arrangement would work for me. Add an attached garage, a laundry space in the master bath and a dog washing station in the mudroom, and you've got my dream home.

For now, I'm grateful to have a roof over my head in a decent neighborhood IN TEXAS in a house that's more than I need but comfortable nonetheless. The thing that would keep me from moving away from here is the park where I walk my dogs -- 1.2 miles round trip, and the park is a lovely jewel box we have to ourselves about 97% of the time. Even so, there's plenty of pee-mail for my dogs to answer, so it does get used. When my dogs are happy, I'm happy!

I've loved hearing about y'all's dream homes. Glad y'all took time to share.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2021, 10:39:13 pm »
I'd like to live in the middle of nowhere
Me, too. But now that I'm no longer a 20-something, I've decided it's important to be practical about things like doctors, hospitals, fire departments and the like. No fun. :crying:  A few decades ago, it would have been dandy to be off the grid and away from people.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 11:02:12 pm »
Me, too. But now that I'm no longer a 20-something, I've decided it's important to be practical about things like doctors, hospitals, fire departments and the like. No fun. :crying:  A few decades ago, it would have been dandy to be off the grid and away from people.

I hear ya. You have to think about those things as you age. Mine was just a pipe dream. On the plus side, I'm only about 4 tenths of a mile from my fire station. I'm also on the same grid (along with a nursing home), and that's worked out favorably for me when disasters come. After Hurricane Ike, my power and cable were restored that afternoon and never went off after that. I had so many friends in surrounding areas that were without power for up to 3 weeks. And in the 100-year freeze this winter, the parts of my neighborhood on the same grid as the fire station never lost power. Our power lines are underground. Not sure if that's a factor or not.

Offline AARguy

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2021, 11:12:06 pm »
Superwife and I retired four years ago from San Diego. We got online in search of the best place to retire. We researched and traveled a bit. We ended up in a smallish city in Texas (Pop about 70,000). Two huge medical centers (also the Houston University Medical school), large mall, super shopping, coast beaches about 20 miles away, wonderful, friendly people, low/no crime, no state income tax, free services that we paid for in CA (like diabetic needle disposal, free plastic shopping bags in stores, parking, etc.). People say "yes sir" and "no ma'am" and kids play freely and respectfully all over. One of my neighbors is a pharmacist, the other is a software professor at the local college (Hispanic... family been here for hundreds of years... my Irish ancestors are newbies in comparison). Cops are our friends. Texas Roadhouse (with the best Tomahawk Ribeyes EVER!) around the corner. Nearby Chinese, sushi, BBQ and all sorts of other restaurants. Great place for retirement hobbies from woodworking to gunsmithing. Wonderful environment to sit in the jacuzzi watching blue states burn and get looted while safely enjoying a nice glass of Merlot.

Superwife is from California and I was born and raised in New York. We're both veterans that have traveled the world and love just... enjoying life now.

Online libertybele

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2021, 11:17:51 pm »

When we decided a few years back to downsize we contemplated moving in the middle of nowhere. We decided no because of family and we didn't want to be in the middle of nowhere after one of us  passed.

I'm glad we stayed in the area; we need our doctors (unfortunately) and our hospital is not far from here. 

P.S. I am NOT doing this aging thingy very well.   Not at all.

Online libertybele

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2021, 11:20:19 pm »
Superwife and I retired four years ago from San Diego. We got online in search of the best place to retire. We researched and traveled a bit. We ended up in a smallish city in Texas (Pop about 70,000). Two huge medical centers (also the Houston University Medical school), large mall, super shopping, coast beaches about 20 miles away, wonderful, friendly people, low/no crime, no state income tax, free services that we paid for in CA (like diabetic needle disposal, free plastic shopping bags in stores, parking, etc.). People say "yes sir" and "no ma'am" and kids play freely and respectfully all over. One of my neighbors is a pharmacist, the other is a software professor at the local college (Hispanic... family been here for hundreds of years... my Irish ancestors are newbies in comparison). Cops are our friends. Texas Roadhouse (with the best Tomahawk Ribeyes EVER!) around the corner. Nearby Chinese, sushi, BBQ and all sorts of other restaurants. Great place for retirement hobbies from woodworking to gunsmithing. Wonderful environment to sit in the jacuzzi watching blue states burn and get looted while safely enjoying a nice glass of Merlot.

Superwife is from California and I was born and raised in New York. We're both veterans that have traveled the world and love just... enjoying life now.

***wine  That's wonderful.  Good for you!

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2021, 11:43:01 pm »

@AARguy

Welcome to Texas. Glad you finally made it. I have a sneaky suspicion we're almost neighbors.

BTW, I lived in SoCal in the 70s. Loved it but always missed Texas. I had a chance to go back for a visit a few years ago. It was NOT the same place at all, and it's even gotten worse since then.  8888crybaby

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2021, 11:47:20 pm »
When we decided a few years back to downsize we contemplated moving in the middle of nowhere. We decided no because of family and we didn't want to be in the middle of nowhere after one of us  passed.

I'm glad we stayed in the area; we need our doctors (unfortunately) and our hospital is not far from here. 

P.S. I am NOT doing this aging thingy very well.   Not at all.

@libertybele

To quote Art Linkletter's book title, "Old Age is not for Sissies."  9999hair out0000

Offline AARguy

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2021, 01:34:46 am »
We're in Victoria.

Online libertybele

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2021, 01:42:26 am »
@libertybele

To quote Art Linkletter's book title, "Old Age is not for Sissies.9999hair out0000

Definitely true and I'm only in my 60's (yikes).

Online roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2021, 03:51:55 am »
One I have now, with all the bugs out of it (no leaks, new roof, good plumbing). Good neighbors are a big plus.

Yeah... No neighbors is better...  happy77

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2021, 12:33:39 pm »
A log cabin in the woods with indoor plumbing, and a claw foot bathtub. Room for several cats and a dog, closest neighbor about half a mile down the road.

A little porch attached so I can use a telescope. No light pollution.

A pond nearby so I can see ducks. And I can put up bird feeders too.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️