Author Topic: Small talk: Picky eaters  (Read 2990 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Small talk: Picky eaters
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2021, 03:35:40 pm »
:silly: :rolling:

I'm not sure of your age, but I find that if I don't bring things up as they occur to me, the thought is usually gone forever.

Yes that's right... Usually leaving me in front of the refrigerator with the door open and a blank look on my face... Or the same standing in front of my toolbox with a drawer open...  :shrug: :whistle:

DANG IT THOUGH... Now I need to make a chicken pot pie, or I will never get it outta my head.
Anybody got some peas?

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2021, 03:45:31 pm »
It's various sheep organs minced with spices, oats and onions, and cooked in the sheep's stomach. It sounds utterly disgusting,  but I'd like to try it, anyway.

Who in the world would think up such a concoction? I would forego our 2-bite rule if this thing were set in front of me.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2021, 03:53:17 pm »
Who in the world would think up such a concoction? I would forego our 2-bite rule if this thing were set in front of me.

The proper etiquette advantages the elderly... bump it off the table and be too slow for the 3 second rule... The dog just might comply.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2021, 04:14:37 pm »
Chicken pot pie. That needs peas too. For some reason I had to get out of bed and post that. :shrug:

Never take your pees back to bed.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2021, 04:25:32 pm »
Never take your pees back to bed.

That's right...  :laugh: :beer:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2021, 05:47:10 pm »
@Wingnut

Mary and I would get along great. Although I'd eat some if placed before me, I really have no use for them. I do have a bag of peas in the freezer, but those are used as an ice pack. They're acceptable in a stew. Other than that, meh.

Last night I remembered Dads last attempt o get Mary to heat her peas.  Most of our meals where Mom served peas also had creamy mashed potato's.  She loved mashed taters so Dad served the peas on top of the potato's and mixed them together.  That is when the fight started!  Oh the horror to see. Those Big Green dots (we couldn't afford  Le Sueur Very Young Small Sweet Peas) peaking up thru the whitish substance that was once pure clean food.  I think that was the day Dad threw in the towel and let his little angel win!

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2021, 09:03:38 pm »
So, I'm not the only one who had the displeasure of eating blood sausage.  My dad absolutely loved it and we had to eat it as kids ...I later made it clear as a young adult that I would pass on eating the stuff.   There's just no way to disguise it or make it taste good.

What are haggis??

I’ve had haggis. It wasn’t bad.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2021, 09:05:05 pm »
I'm kinda with you on coconut, although for me, again, it's mostly a texture thang. Kinda like eating something hairy.

I realize that most folks don't like liver, but I've loved it since I was a child and still do as a geezer. I've tried serving it to my family. It didn't go over well.  **nononono*

I like liver and onions, and chopped liver.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2021, 02:02:04 pm »
The proper etiquette advantages the elderly... bump it off the table and be too slow for the 3 second rule... The dog just might comply.

@roamer_1

Thanks for the tip. This is the first time I've been old, so I appreciate learning how I can use it to my advantage, right?  :yowsa:

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2021, 02:06:42 pm »
Last night I remembered Dads last attempt o get Mary to heat her peas.  Most of our meals where Mom served peas also had creamy mashed potato's.  She loved mashed taters so Dad served the peas on top of the potato's and mixed them together.  That is when the fight started!  Oh the horror to see. Those Big Green dots (we couldn't afford  Le Sueur Very Young Small Sweet Peas) peaking up thru the whitish substance that was once pure clean food.  I think that was the day Dad threw in the towel and let his little angel win!

@Wingnut

OMG! What an awful way to ruin perfectly good mashed potatoes. Poor Mary. Very wise of dad to give up at that point. Is Mary still with you? Does she eat peas now?

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2021, 02:11:38 pm »
I like liver and onions, and chopped liver.

@Gefn

Yea! Sometimes I feel like a red-headed step-child for enjoying liver. And then a fellow traveler comes along and I don't feel like such an oddity.  :seeya:

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2021, 02:25:14 pm »
@Wingnut

OMG! What an awful way to ruin perfectly good mashed potatoes. Poor Mary. Very wise of dad to give up at that point. Is Mary still with you? Does she eat peas now?

Oh yeah.  Still alive and well.  As for the peas...  I will ask her.  I know she was still adverse to the the goobers  thru high school!

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2021, 03:25:54 pm »
@Gefn

Yea! Sometimes I feel like a red-headed step-child for enjoying liver. And then a fellow traveler comes along and I don't feel like such an oddity.  :seeya:

@AllThatJazzZ

I hated liver when I was younger. It’s one of those foods you don’t like as a child but like as an adult.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2021, 06:28:32 pm »
@roamer_1

Thanks for the tip. This is the first time I've been old, so I appreciate learning how I can use it to my advantage, right?  :yowsa:

It's a hack...  happy77 :beer: