Author Topic: Small talk: Picky eaters  (Read 2991 times)

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
Small talk: Picky eaters
« on: July 24, 2021, 08:05:13 pm »
Are you a picky eater? Were you one as a kid? Did you outgrow it? Do you cook for a picky eater? Do you have thoughts re how to overcome being a picky eater?

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline libertybele

Re: Small talk: Picky eaters
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 08:22:29 pm »
Are you a picky eater? Were you one as a kid? Did you outgrow it? Do you cook for a picky eater? Do you have thoughts re how to overcome being a picky eater?

Well, I was never what you would consider a true picky eater.  A couple of things that I refuse to eat; coconut, liver and other organ meats, spinach, and blood sausage.  I've never outgrown my dislike for any of them

I used to not be too fond of some other foods, but as a kid I'd eat them.  Now that I'm on a restricted diet because of a couple of different  ailments ... those foods I have learned to become ok with and gladly eat them as something different to add to my list of foods that I can eat.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 08:36:16 pm »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 02:15:36 am »
When I was young, I was sure strawberries were awful. Wouldn't touch them. But one day our family was invited to lunch by some folks at church and we kids were expected to be on our best behavior, including graciously eating whatever they offered - whereupon I discovered I really liked strawberries, omg!

Since then I've kept an open mind and will try just about anything - but not bugs, worms or still-alive creatures.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 02:23:59 am »
When I was young, I was sure strawberries were awful. Wouldn't touch them. But one day our family was invited to lunch by some folks at church and we kids were expected to be on our best behavior, including graciously eating whatever they offered - whereupon I discovered I really liked strawberries, omg!

Since then I've kept an open mind and will try just about anything - but not bugs, worms or still-alive creatures.

Yeah, Gagh is a bit of a "No."

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 02:29:01 am »
One thing I still don't eat are pickles.....they are just nasty!

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2021, 03:20:16 am »
Yeah, Gagh is a bit of a "No."

I couldn’t eat Gagh either. Even if I could share a meal with Worf and Dax. And add Bloodwine to that too. Sounds like blood sausage with I can’t bring myself to eat as well

@Cyber Liberty
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2021, 04:24:59 am »

Glad you "discovered" strawberries. My late husband wouldn't eat them because he insisted that they had whiskers. :silly: For him, it was a texture thang. Just like me with fatty meat, gizzards or anything that's uber chewy like that. I can't even stand to watch people take a bite of meat with fat on it.

I was never good about eating my vegetables when I was growing up. It occurred to me a few years ago that if Mother had roasted all the veggies, Daddy and I would have them. We were a little difficult to cook for, so I feel sorry for her knowing that she tried so hard to put food on the table that we would enjoy.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2021, 04:29:20 am »
Well, I was never what you would consider a true picky eater.  A couple of things that I refuse to eat; coconut, liver and other organ meats, spinach, and blood sausage.  I've never outgrown my dislike for any of them

I'm kinda with you on coconut, although for me, again, it's mostly a texture thang. Kinda like eating something hairy.

I realize that most folks don't like liver, but I've loved it since I was a child and still do as a geezer. I've tried serving it to my family. It didn't go over well.  **nononono*

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2021, 04:29:37 am »
NOPE. I will eat about anything... Except haggis, and blood sausage.

I have ate all kinds of things y'all would cringe at, foraging in the forest... rats and rodents... weasels, grubs, insects... I've often ate my lunch sitting on the manure pile.

But no haggis. no blood sausage.

Now that I am kosher, I have wondered if I could survive on woodland forage now... It would be much harder to accomplish.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 04:31:53 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 05:29:37 am »
Squash, Liver, and just a few other things I will pass on. Mostly raised on "Shut up and eat it".... They say over time your taste (mind) matures and you except more foods... I can somewhat eat squash now (especially if battered/fried) if I have to. Cucumbers are not my fave and milk (cause I was forced to drink the fake milk growing up, powdered). Then there is the corndog that I can not eat often because I got sick once on them (at a flea market). But I was nowhere near a bad kid as far as food was concerned, you didn't have much choice back in my day, you either ate it or went hungry.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2021, 10:53:06 pm »
Squash, Liver, and just a few other things I will pass on. Mostly raised on "Shut up and eat it".... They say over time your taste (mind) matures and you except more foods... I can somewhat eat squash now (especially if battered/fried) if I have to. Cucumbers are not my fave and milk (cause I was forced to drink the fake milk growing up, powdered). Then there is the corndog that I can not eat often because I got sick once on them (at a flea market). But I was nowhere near a bad kid as far as food was concerned, you didn't have much choice back in my day, you either ate it or went hungry.

I believe that to be true, but a person has to be willing to abandon their childhood eating habits in order for that to happen.

A strange thing I noticed regarding my eating proclivities... My husband died when we were very young after a lengthy cancer battle. For some reason, I came out on the other side craving foods I had never craved or even thought of before. I can't help but wonder if anyone else has had such an experience.

In my second marriage, we had custody of my husband's kids. He had already wisely implemented a plan for introducing the kids to foods they would turn their noses up at. He had a 2-bite rule. Whatever was served, you had to have at least 2 bites. This applied to us adults as well. My step-daughter learned that she not only didn't hate coleslaw, it became the first thing she'd tackle on her plate when we went to Chris and Pitts. Not everything turned out that successful, but we did manage to expand their repertoire of things they'd eat.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2021, 11:06:37 pm »
NOPE. I will eat about anything... Except haggis, and blood sausage.

I have ate all kinds of things y'all would cringe at, foraging in the forest... rats and rodents... weasels, grubs, insects... I've often ate my lunch sitting on the manure pile.

But no haggis. no blood sausage.

Now that I am kosher, I have wondered if I could survive on woodland forage now... It would be much harder to accomplish.

So, I'm not the only one who had the displeasure of eating blood sausage.  My dad absolutely loved it and we had to eat it as kids ...I later made it clear as a young adult that I would pass on eating the stuff.   There's just no way to disguise it or make it taste good.

What are haggis??

Online mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2021, 11:11:20 pm »
I haven't had haggis yet, but will give it a try if we visit Scotland. I believe my mother had it there.

Mmm, mmm, good!  :pondering:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2021, 11:13:57 pm »
I haven't had haggis yet, but will give it a try if we visit Scotland. I believe my mother had it there.

Ok., it looks to be some kind of sausage encased in some kind of skin??  It doesn't look all that appetizing.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2021, 01:23:09 am »
It's various sheep organs minced with spices, oats and onions, and cooked in the sheep's stomach. It sounds utterly disgusting,  but I'd like to try it, anyway.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2021, 04:12:36 am »
So, I'm not the only one who had the displeasure of eating blood sausage.  My dad absolutely loved it and we had to eat it as kids ...I later made it clear as a young adult that I would pass on eating the stuff.   There's just no way to disguise it or make it taste good.

Yep. NOPE. Just cannot do it. Never could. There's a reason Yah said not to eat the blood. Because it's awful. I may eat some pretty weirdo stuff, but guaranteed - It is bled out.

What are haggis??

Basically baked tripe. I don't lend much to guts... I will take the heart, liver, and kidneys, often the tongue...  but the rest is for the gutpile... a thing I prefer to give back to the forest.

If haggis is your thing, befriend a Scot... And some Irish, but assuredly a Scot... They will be sure to invite you over if they are having haggis - It is a tradition thing for them I think, but they need people over to help em choke it down.  :laugh:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2021, 04:29:35 am »
Ah the fights I remember at the kitchen table growing up.  My middle sister would not eat peas.  Not sure why but she hated the damn things.  But the rest of us liked peas and she was expected to eat them too. You remember the sayings... People starving in China...Clean your plate..don't waste food . That girl had to eat the peas or stay at the table all night.  My dad never broke her.  Pig headed as she was!.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2021, 04:36:34 am »
Ah the fights I remember at the kitchen table growing up.  My middle sister would not eat peas.  Not sure why but she hated the damn things.  But the rest of us liked peas and she was expected to eat them too. You remember the sayings... People starving in China...Clean your plate..don't waste food . That girl had to eat the peas or stay at the table all night.  My dad never broke her.  Pig headed as she was!.

HAHAHA! Yeah.

I can take peas or leave em... Unless in the pod, which I love in a stir fry.
The one place peas shine is in Tuna Casserole... But that is mostly a testament to how bland a dish that is... When you are looking at it on your plate and saying 'thank God for peas'...

If you have ever been on hard times and had Tuna Casserole without peas, you'll know what I mean. There was one point we didn't even have the potato chips to crumble on the top.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2021, 04:40:44 am »
HAHAHA! Yeah.

I can take peas or leave em... Unless in the pod, which I love in a stir fry.
The one place peas shine is in Tuna Casserole... But that is mostly a testament to how bland a dish that is... When you are looking at it on your plate and saying 'thank God for peas'...

If you have ever been on hard times and had Tuna Casserole without peas, you'll know what I mean. There was one point we didn't even have the potato chips to crumble on the top.

LOL.  Tuna Casserole was a staple at our house!  Mary would pick thru the tuna and noodles and push all the peas to the side of her plate!  She would have enjoyed "Hard times" if it meant no Peas!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2021, 04:47:34 am »

LOL.  Tuna Casserole was a staple at our house!  Mary would pick thru the tuna and noodles and push all the peas to the side of her plate!  She would have enjoyed "Hard times" if it meant no Peas!

:laugh:

I really can't think of another dish where they inherently belong... Maybe beef stew... They'd be no surprise there... and split-pea soup of course... But otherwise  :shrug:

Not that I am clean against em... I WILL eat em... A whole bowl full in butter salt and pepper, maybe with some bacon ground in... I'll eat it. It's alright. But I really don't NEEED em anywhere else. I pretty well don't stock em, for fear they will not ever be used.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 04:48:54 am by roamer_1 »

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2021, 06:38:02 am »

@Wingnut

Mary and I would get along great. Although I'd eat some if placed before me, I really have no use for them. I do have a bag of peas in the freezer, but those are used as an ice pack. They're acceptable in a stew. Other than that, meh.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2021, 07:59:57 am »
Chicken pot pie. That needs peas too. For some reason I had to get out of bed and post that. :shrug:

Offline AllThatJazzZ

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2021, 03:25:35 pm »
Chicken pot pie. That needs peas too. For some reason I had to get out of bed and post that. :shrug:

:silly: :rolling:

I'm not sure of your age, but I find that if I don't bring things up as they occur to me, the thought is usually gone forever.

Online godblessRonaldReagan

• It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2021, 03:29:29 pm »

As Groundskeeper Willie said on The Simpsons, "Get your Haggis right here! Chopped heart and lungs boiled in a wee sheep's stomach! Tastes as good as it sounds!"
I, for one, welcome our feline overlords