Author Topic: The Navy’s Debauchery Problem: An Enlisted Perspective  (Read 223 times)

rangerrebew

The Navy’s Debauchery Problem: An Enlisted Perspective
« on: July 24, 2021, 02:23:35 pm »
   The Navy’s Debauchery Problem: An Enlisted Perspective
By Luther Ray Abel

July 21, 2021 6:30 AM

Senator Tom Cotton’s report on the service branch gets a lot right about the upper ranks, but the enlisted side remains in dire need of attention.

Senator Tom Cotton recently released a report detailing manifold flaws in the U.S. Navy’s warfighting capacity; at the end of it, he included eight recommendations for how the Navy can improve itself. Reviewing the suggestions, I think he has much correct. However, his prescriptions are understandably biased toward the upper brass and provide little direction for the enlisted side of the house — the people doing the work. Having served six years on that side in the Navy, rising to E-5, I believe much should be corrected in the enlisted ranks, from the culture to recruiting practices to the chain of command.

I’ll attempt to tackle each of these concerns in separate pieces but will begin with the Navy’s culture — which is most in need of reform. Easy to say, difficult to effect, I know.

Sailors — and I speak from experience — can be a mischievous lot of rabble-rousers and skirt-chasers. Take four steps outside any naval base, and — aside from a steadily frequented row of strip clubs, bars, and payday-loan shops — you’ll see some variation of two heavily mortgaged Ford Mustangs and a Harley for sale in the parking lot adjacent because some young sailors thought an $800 monthly payment was feasible on $1,600-a-month pay. Sailors live fast and loose as a general rule. But why is this the case, and is there a way to bring some old-fashioned military-style order to these habits?

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/07/the-navys-debauchery-problem-an-enlisted-perspective/

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: The Navy’s Debauchery Problem: An Enlisted Perspective
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 11:46:34 pm »
Sounds a lot like young oilfield hands at the start of a boom, only no jets landing over your bunk (the continuous sound of back up alarms, the drilling rig, and heavy trucks moving in and out is there instead).  But then, a lot of successful hands are veterans, too. (BTW, mandatory drug testing pre-hire, no alcohol or drugs on site, random tests during employment, definite tests in the event of an accident, are de rigeur in the patch).

But the job, a 12 hour day is basic, may mean additional time driving to and from the site, if town is close, or staying in crew quarters if it isn't. You don't know where the next job will be, how long it will last, when it will be done. If you are a service hand, you could be in North Dakota today, New Mexico in three, Wyoming the next. After 20 years, at least one divorce is normal, and you never know when the bottom will drop out.

Not complaining. It's a great life if you don't weaken. (What doesn't kill you makes you stronger).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 11:58:39 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis