Author Topic: Our Wasteful Defense Establishment  (Read 504 times)

rangerrebew

Our Wasteful Defense Establishment
« on: July 24, 2021, 02:21:12 pm »
   Our Wasteful Defense Establishment
By David Williams

July 20, 2021 6:30 AM

U.S. Air Force F-35A Lightning IIs from the 388th and 419th Fighter Wings conduct a combat-power exercise at Hill Air Force Base, Utah, January 6, 2020. (R. Nial Bradshaw/USAF)
American servicemembers’ lives are threatened by Pentagon boondoggles.

America’s top-of-the-line fighter jet might not be able to break the speed of sound or fire its own cannon, but its ability to score lucrative contracts for its manufacturer remains as impressive as ever. Last month Lockheed Martin won a nearly $500 million contract to develop new weapons for the troubled F-35 fighter. And earlier this month, Lockheed Martin was awarded a $1.8 billion contract to perform maintenance work and manage logistics for the F-35 program.

The issues plaguing the F-35 fighter, its development, and its entry into service have received extensive coverage from policy analysts and government watchdog organizations, most recently from a Government Accountability Office report that said: “Since 2012, F-35 estimated sustainment costs over its 66-year life cycle have increased steadily, from $1.11 trillion to $1.27 trillion, despite efforts to reduce costs. The services will collectively be confronted with tens of billions of dollars in sustainment costs that they project as unaffordable during the program.”

And the F-35 is far from the only defense program suffering from cost overruns and lack of a clear purpose. Bloated, ineffective programs are a symptom of the misplaced priorities, poor decision-making, and lack of vision plaguing the American defense establishment. The burden on taxpayers and servicemembers alone should be enough to warrant serious scrutiny of the practices that have enabled such bad management for so long. But wasteful defense programs and poor military strategy don’t just cost taxpayer dollars. They can cost American servicemembers’ lives.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/07/our-wasteful-defense-establishment/#slide-1

Offline AARguy

Re: Our Wasteful Defense Establishment
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 12:40:20 am »
As someone who has been in battle with American military systems, I have a different view. The responsiveness and precision of American Artillery is nothing short of amazing. When you have an Apache hovering behind you, you understand the true meaning of a "warm fuzzy" feeling. Watching a Javelin engage a moving enemy is as close to a religious experience as one can come.

You seem to think that there is something wrong with a weapon moving less than the speed of sound. I have yet to see an A-10 exceed the speed of sound but I have seen it devastate a formation of enemy tanks. I have seen "sensor fused weapons" destroy enemy tank formations from beyond the "line-of-sight" to the target. So the F-35 has (I think that's HAD now, by the way). Guns require line-of-sight. That means they must be close. Sensor fused weapons fired from 40 or more kilometers away at a space in the sky to descend on the enemy in a rain of fire seem to make a lot more sense. F-35 carries such weapons with ease.

Things like F-35 aren't procured by going to the sales lot and picking out a few. They require research, concept formulation, development, new processes and revolutionary manufacturing practices. Its not easy. Although inexperienced naysayers always think it is.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 08:23:30 pm »
I just spoke to a friend who went to a nearby VA clinic for acupuncture and is very pleased with the results. Out of curiosity, I went online to search the clinic (thinking maybe they outsourced the acupuncture and I could find the name of the practitioner). Guess what I found on the VA site.
LGBTQ+ Veteran Care
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer/Questioning identities

If you're a Veteran who identifies as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning, or a related identity, we’re committed to serving your needs. The LGBTQ+ Veteran care coordinator at your VA health care facility can help you get the care you need in a safe, sensitive environment.
Contact information
 xxx, Suite 200
Phone
412-xxx-xxxx
Phone
412-xxx-xxxx
Appointments

Contact us to schedule, reschedule, or cancel your appointment. If a referral is required, you’ll need to contact your primary care provider first.
Phone
412-xxx-xxxx
412-xxx-xxxx
Care we provide at VA Pittsburgh health care

Our LGBTQ+ Veteran care coordinators can answer your questions, advocate for your right to quality care, handle complaints or concerns you have about your care, and help you get started with any of our services for LGBTQ+ Veterans. These include:

Mental health services, including psychosocial assessments for hormone therapy and gender confirming surgeries
    Creative arts therapies
    Hormone therapy
    Gender-affirming prosthetics
    HIV and STI testing, counseling, and care, including PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) and PrEP (pre-exposure prophylaxis) for Veterans at risk for HIV
    Other prevention, screening, wellness, and testing services

Learn more and connect with a care coordinator
Wasteful? Yeah, I'd say so.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline AARguy

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 09:13:53 pm »
Ick.