Author Topic: Knife Rights Foundation Weighs In on Critical 2nd Amendment Case  (Read 665 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
 Ammoland Inc. Posted on July 22, 2021 by Doug Ritter

Knife Rights Foundation has joined with FPC American Victory Fund and a number of state Second Amendment advocacy groups submitting an Amicus Curie (Friend of the Court) brief to the Supreme Court of the United States in a critical Second Amendment case, New York State Rifle & Pistol Association, Inc. v. Bruen. This is the first Second Amendment case to be heard by SCOTUS in over a decade. Both that case, McDonald v City of Chicago, and the preceding 2A case, District of Columbia v. Heller, included discussion of knives as “arms” in the majority opinions.

The key issue in the case revolves around whether the Second Amendment protects the right to bear a handgun in public for purposes of self-defense. New York City’s so-called “proper cause” permitting law and how it is arbitrarily administered makes it almost impossible to get a concealed carry permit. Knife Rights Chairman Doug Ritter said, “since the Second Amendment says ‘arms,’ not ‘firearms,’ the decision, in this case, will be significant for the rights of knife carriers as well. We owe it to our members and supporters to do what we can to support their right to carry.” (Read the law review article “Knives and the Second Amendment.”)

This case has attracted a large number of amicus briefs. These amicus briefs provide the Justices additional supplemental or expansive information about many aspects of the case. This coalition brief in support of Petitioners provides a detailed historical perspective on the right to carry for self-defense.

More: https://www.ammoland.com/2021/07/knife-rights-foundation-weighs-in-on-critical-2nd-amendment-case/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Knife Rights Foundation Weighs In on Critical 2nd Amendment Case
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 07:58:25 am »
Good! At the time the Second was written, knives, swords, daggers and cudgels all were viable weapons and still are. There is a long list of items which are generally prohibited as "dangerous weapons" (included in my CCW permit--I can carry those, too), but which should, by Rights, be included as "arms".
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis