Author Topic: 'A huge rise in people just forgetting to be human': Since restaurants reopened, customers have been  (Read 538 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Since California’s June 15 reopening of the economy, customers have gotten … a little difficult. Well, a lot difficult.

“I’ve been seeing a huge rise in people just forgetting to be human,” said Mina Makram, founder of Palo Alto bakery Misfits Bakehouse. “People have been staying at home for a year and a half, but everyone in the service industry has been busting our butts ... and this is what we’re getting now.”

(excerpt)

Headline was from the version posted on Twitter. It was also posted on the newspaper's Web site under the title:
SF Bay Area restaurants are still struggling. Returning customers don't see that.
https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/SF-Bay-Area-restaurants-customers-rude-Yelp-review-16333535.php
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Hoodat

“People who were already nice prior to the pandemic are super nice, and people who were a little bit difficult to deal with pre-pandemic are now completely just unbearable to even serve.”
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

I ain't seeing none of that. But then, where I go there was little effect anyhow... The bank maybe, where the tellers are grateful to be out from behind their spit guard and their masks.

If anything, I find folks happy to slow down and reconnect with folks. I tend to be a bullsh*tter anyhow, and folks seem twice as ready to hear a funny story while passin the time of day.

I know I sure am. I am both an introvert and gregarious - I can be either and be content. but I don't like when one or the other suffers, and it sure is nice to get back around to seeing folks in town.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Have upped my tipping by 5% majority of those people were really struggling the past year.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline PeteS in CA

In general, generalizations generally work poorly.

In the past 6-12 months we've gotten consistent good service and food from several chain locations (e.g. CfA, In-N-Out, 5 Guys, The Habit, and Shake Shack). We've also gotten consistent good service and food from several onsie-twosie restaurants.

OTOH, we experienced mildly ruse and very inconsistent food quality at a few restaurants and seen some rudeness from (other) customers.

On the restaurants' side, they tend to be short-staffed, and many of their cooks and servers are under-trained replacements (their experienced people had to move on during the full and partial shutdown). On the customers' side, jerks have always been around, and the staffing issues restaurants are trying to work through have brought out the worst in people, on both side of the table.

I suspect that most states either have gone or are going through this messy recovery process.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 04:04:56 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.