Author Topic: Micky Dolenz recalls ill-fated Monkees tour with opening act Jimi Hendrix: ‘Yeah, it was kind of emb  (Read 1536 times)

Offline corbe

Micky Dolenz recalls ill-fated Monkees tour with opening act Jimi Hendrix: ‘Yeah, it was kind of embarrassing’

Lyndsey Parker  9/18/2020

Fifty years ago, on Sept. 18, 1970, guitar legend Jimi Hendrix died of asphyxia while intoxicated. He was only 27 years old, and his stint as a superstar lasted less than five years, but he obviously made his indelible mark — being declared by the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame as “arguably the greatest instrumentalist in the history of rock music” and by Rolling Stone as the greatest guitarist of all time.

And one of the first mainstream rock acts to recognize Hendrix’s greatness was the Monkees. Unfortunately, the Monkees’ young fans weren’t quite as enthusiastic when that TV band’s Micky Dolenz came up with the seemingly bizarre idea to hire Hendrix as the opening act for the Monkees’ first U.S. tour in 1967.

Hendrix ended up playing only seven of that tour’s 29 dates, dropping out after having to contend nightly with thousands of nasty, impatient, jeering teenyboppers. “Yeah, it was kind of embarrassing,” Dolenz admits to Yahoo Entertainment. “Jimi would go, ‘Purple haze!’ and the kids would be like, ‘We want Davy!’ He’d go, ‘Foxy lady!’ and they’d yell, ‘We. Want. The. Monkees! We. Want. The. Monkees!’ He was coming up against that very typical opening-act dilemma for anyone touring with a big headliner, really.”

The odd pairing might have been doomed from the start, given the two artists’ very different audiences. But Dolenz had been a fan of Hendrix since the guitar god was still known as “Jimmy James” and performing in Greenwich Village nightclubs with the Blue Flames. “It was 1966 or so, and the Monkees were in New York on a press junket,” he recalls of the first time he saw Hendrix live. “Someone said, ‘You gotta come down to the Village and check this cat out.’ The actual act was, I think, the John Hammond Band or something. But when we went down there, I remember sitting in the front row and there was this young kid, and he was playing guitar with his teeth! I didn't even know his name at the time. I don't even know if he was introduced, but he was going under the name Jimmy James at that point. He was just great.”

<..snip..>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/micky-dolenz-recalls-ill-fated-monkees-tour-with-opening-act-jimi-hendrix-e2-80-98yeah-it-was-kind-of-embarrassing-e2-80-99/ar-BB199KU2
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

On this date 54 years ago Hendrix quits Monkees tour.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 05:36:56 pm by corbe »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Jimi was a candidate for the third spot when Keith Emerson and Carl Palmer were forming their band, but instead they gave it to Greg Lake.  Jimi's drug abuse problem was too much for them because they intended to tour from the start and they wanted somebody more dependable.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Micky Dolenz recalls ill-fated Monkees tour with opening act Jimi Hendrix: ‘Yeah, it was kind of embarrassing’

Lyndsey Parker  9/18/2020

Fifty years ago, on Sept. 18, 1970, guitar legend Jimi Hendrix died of asphyxia while intoxicated. He was only 27 years old, and his stint as a superstar lasted less than five years, but he obviously made his indelible mark — being declared by the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame as “arguably the greatest instrumentalist in the history of rock music” and by Rolling Stone as the greatest guitarist of all time.

@corbe

It should be noted that Stevie Ray Vaugh was not playing at that time. Stevie Ray is THE KING of guitar playing,and everybody else is fighting for second place.

Which *I* happen to think is occupied by David Gilmore from Pink Floyd. No,he doesn't play a gazillion notes a mintue,but he does play all the notes that need to be played.

And one of the first mainstream rock acts to recognize Hendrix’s greatness was the Monkees. Unfortunately, the Monkees’ young fans weren’t quite as enthusiastic when that TV band’s Micky Dolenz came up with the seemingly bizarre idea to hire Hendrix as the opening act for the Monkees’ first U.S. tour in 1967.

He had to have been taking acid to think that was a good idea.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline rustynail

I liked Micky better in Circus Boy.

Offline skeeter

@corbe

It should be noted that Stevie Ray Vaugh was not playing at that time. Stevie Ray is THE KING of guitar playing,and everybody else is fighting for second place.

Which *I* happen to think is occupied by David Gilmore from Pink Floyd. No,he doesn't play a gazillion notes a mintue,but he does play all the notes that need to be played.

He had to have been taking acid to think that was a good idea.
SRV did Hendrix much better than Hendrix did Hendrix. I don’t much like the noodlers & shredders either, BTW. The best guitarists, rock guitarists anyway, accentuate a song with haiku like solos that don’t overstay their welcome.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 12:17:32 am by skeeter »

Offline corbe

I agree @skeeter

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Little Wing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An4uDegHB8s

Will the Austinites tear this statue down?

Offline skeeter

I agree @skeeter

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Little Wing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An4uDegHB8s

Will the Austinites tear this statue down?

Stevie Ray Vaughan looked cooler playing it, too.

Offline libertybele

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@corbe  @skeeter

https://youtu.be/KC5H9P4F5Uk

And here is what a Stevie Ray sound check looks and sounds like.

https://youtu.be/grBmQwLSlDw

« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 12:28:36 am by sneakypete »

Offline skeeter

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
SRV did Hendrix much better than Hendrix did Hendrix. I don’t much like the noodlers & shredders either, BTW. The best guitarists, rock guitarists anyway, accentuate a song with haiku like solos that don’t overstay their welcome.

@skeeter

Music is all about da blues,man. If you can't play da blues,you play a lesser music,like rock and roll.

Offline skeeter

@skeeter

Music is all about da blues,man. If you can't play da blues,you play a lesser music,like rock and roll.
I can always find something in any genre to like.

Except hip hop. There is nothing redeeming in that garbage.

Offline libertybele

I can always find something in any genre to like.

Except hip hop. There is nothing redeeming in that garbage.

Hip hop and Disco I find to be garbage; more so Hip hop.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.