Author Topic: Drug Overdose Deaths Reached Highest Level Ever in 2020, with Fentanyl a Key Factor As long as the b  (Read 295 times)

rangerrebew

Drug Overdose Deaths Reached Highest Level Ever in 2020, with Fentanyl a Key Factor
As long as the border is in chaos, the deadly drug will keep flowing in and kill even more
By Andrew R. Arthur on July 16, 2021

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) this week released its “Provisional Drug Overdose Death Counts” for 2020. As AP explained the dry CDC numbers, drug overdoses hit a new estimated high of 93,000 last year, with fentanyl driving the surge. With the Southwest border in chaos as migrant apprehensions reach 21-year highs, this year’s total will likely be higher.

As I have explained numerous times in the past (including to Congress, twice), fentanyl is an incredibly dangerous — and deadly drug. The Drug Enforcement Administration describes it as “80-100 times stronger than morphine”. Oxford Treatment Center reports that two milligrams of the drug is a lethal dose for most people (heavy-duty users can handle more).

AP explains that the drug “was involved in more than 60% of the overdose deaths last year, CDC data suggests.” That “involvement” is interesting in and of itself, because fentanyl is now being mixed with other “hard drugs” like heroin, cocaine, and methamphetamine to make them even more potent.

https://cis.org/Arthur/Drug-Overdose-Deaths-Reached-Highest-Level-Ever-2020-Fentanyl-Key-Factor

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
AP ties the overdose deaths to the shutdowns that isolated Americans and left untold numbers unemployed in response to the Covid-19 pandemic. Curiously, direct government payments to those affected by the pandemic also played a role, as users who received unemployment money and who benefited from eviction suspensions found themselves with additional cash to buy more drugs.

As that wire service explains, however: “The proliferation of fentanyl is one reason some experts do not expect any substantial decline in drug overdose deaths this year.”
It's disappointing to see that this pressure group is telling everyone to ignore the elephant in the room, with what lockdown did to people.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
It's disappointing to see that this pressure group is telling everyone to ignore the elephant in the room, with what lockdown did to people.
I think they go hand in hand, people isolated and depressed about the locked down, access to extra cash and China and the cartels pumping Fentanyl and other drugs into America. I guess I'm lucky because I don't have an addictive personality, was on Vicodin for well over twenty years and had no problem dropping it, same with cigarettes and alcohol, but I know that others struggle and this Covid situation has had a lot of negative impacts so of course the democrats want lockdown the sequel. China's Winnie the Pooh must be laughing his ass off.