Author Topic: The Mark of Klain  (Read 73 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The Mark of Klain
« on: July 23, 2021, 05:15:36 pm »
The Mark of Klain

Column: Washington does well as the world falls apart
Matthew Continetti • July 23, 2021 5:00 am

On August 8 the White House chief of staff, Ron Klain, turns 60 years old. It is, writes Mark Leibovich of the New York Times, a much-anticipated event on the D.C. social calendar. Klain, you see, has commemorated earlier "round-numbered birthdays" by throwing large, sumptuous "blowouts," including a fête at a Maryland farm in 2011 where hundreds of VIPs gathered to eat deep-fried Oreos and deliver "tributes to the honoree."

Everyone who was anyone in Barack Obama's Washington was there. One's absence signified one's exclusion from the tribe. To know Ron Klain, then, is to have entered the power elite. "Plans for his 60th," Leibovich continues, "have become such a source of Beltway status anxiety that a small universe of Washington strivers is angling for details: Some have asked White House contacts whether a celebration is in the works and if invitations have gone out."

Needless to say, I don't expect to be invited. Nor is there anything wrong with Klain throwing himself a bash: Having just celebrated a "round-numbered" birthday myself, I can attest that there is nothing more fun than gathering a bunch of your family and friends in one place for an evening of food and drink (and more drink).

What struck me instead as I read Leibovich's slightly tongue-in-cheek profile was the distance between the bourgeois comfort of Klain's personal and professional life and the facts, as they say, on the ground. One cannot finish reading the Leibovich piece without coming to the conclusion that, all in all, things have worked out pretty darn well for Ron Klain. For America? Not so much.

more
https://freebeacon.com/columns/the-mark-of-klain/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34