Author Topic: Mexican highway robbers stole 7 million rounds of US ammo  (Read 1224 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Mexican highway robbers stole 7 million rounds of US ammo
« on: July 20, 2021, 10:49:51 pm »
American Military News by Ryan Morgan   July 20, 2021

Armed assailants stopped and stole two trailer-loads of small-caliber ammunition, consisting of more than 7 million total rounds, bound for the U.S. on June 11.

The Mexican newspaper Milenio reported the more than 7 million rounds of ammunition was valued at more than 55 million Mexican Pesos, more than $2.7 million USD. The theft took place on a highway in Mexico’s most violent state, Guanajuato.

The ammunition manufacturer, Tecnos Industries, told the Associated Press that 98.5 percent of the stolen ammunition was .22 caliber, not commonly used by criminal organizations like the Mexican cartels. The drivers for the ammunition shipments later found alive following the robbery.

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2021/07/mexican-highway-robbers-stole-7-million-rounds-of-us-ammo/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Mexican highway robbers stole 7 million rounds of US ammo
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 12:12:59 am »
Why would I care?

That ammo should have been made in America.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 02:02:44 am »
Aguila is a subsidiary of Technos Industries. They are in the group of the largest ammo manufacturers in the world.

I don't have a problem with purchasing Non USA manufactured ammo. Just a few of the foreign ammo makers I've purchased products from are Lapua, Nosler, Fiocchi, Sellier & Bellot and Aguila.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 02:57:25 pm »
If I have .22 bullets flying my way, I won't much care that larger caliber bullets are more deadly or in what country they were manufactured. I'm weird that way.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 03:41:42 pm »
If I have .22 bullets flying my way, I won't much care that larger caliber bullets are more deadly or in what country they were manufactured. I'm weird that way.

@PeteS in CA

You miss the point,which is that if jobs were still available in the US there wouldn't be so much unrest,and the left wouldn't be taking over and creating their dream police state.

So far,the US is able to keep printing the welfare and unemployment checks to keep people fed and housed,which has kept the violence to a minimum,but when the day comes,and it WILL come,that we are no longer able to print the money because we no longer have credit,it's going to get ugly on a historical scale.

Not just from the professional welfare classes,either. People who worked all their lives and who are now living on a retirement check they EARNED will be as out of cash as the professional welfare classes. This includes people like retired military members and disabled veterans who are disabled due to going to war.

Yeah,it's going to get ugly on a historical scale when this happens,and make no mistake about it,the left is working hard day and night to make it happen.

Online unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2021, 04:09:06 am »
I don't have a problem with purchasing Non USA manufactured ammo. Just a few of the foreign ammo makers I've purchased products from are Lapua, Nosler, Fiocchi, Sellier & Bellot and Aguila.

Most of the ammunition manufactured in Russia
only APPEARS to have copper jackets.
They are actually STEEL jackets!
Very thin steel jackets, but still. steel jackets.
Firing one or ten rounds of it will not significantly erode the rifling in your barrel,
but firing a hundred or a thousand rounds of it certainly will!
You can test any ammunition you own with a magnet.
See if the bullet end of the cartridge is attracted to a magnet.

If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2021, 11:36:46 am »

Most of the ammunition manufactured in Russia
only APPEARS to have copper jackets.
They are actually STEEL jackets!
Very thin steel jackets, but still. steel jackets.
Firing one or ten rounds of it will not significantly erode the rifling in your barrel,
but firing a hundred or a thousand rounds of it certainly will!
You can test any ammunition you own with a magnet.
See if the bullet end of the cartridge is attracted to a magnet.

Do you have a link showing steel jackets on the bullets and not the casing?  Or are you thinking of steel core bullets?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vqs1ne1xws
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 11:41:54 am by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2021, 12:43:02 pm »
Brass vs. Steel Cased Ammo – An Epic Torture Test

Lucky Gunner Labs 9/21/2019

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/
There are two major types of centerfire rifle cartridges available on the market today:

•   Those which are loaded with steel, and

•   Those which are loaded with brass

This seemingly simple variation has caused a never ending stream of argument, discussion, speculation, and questioning from new and seasoned shooters alike. So, our team set out to test and determine what differences you can expect when shooting brass vs. steel cased ammo in this epic torture test. Complicating the conversation are other variables that typically get lumped into the argument without proper segmentation, such as:

•   Different coating options available on the steel-cased ammo (lacquer or polymer)

•   The different projectile loadings available (copper jacketed lead, the bi-metal coating that most Russian manufacturers use, etc)

•   The different propellant (gunpowder) burn rates

Our team decided to try something ambitious and daunting:  to provide the best resource and data available to answer these questions once and for all through objective experimentation and observation.

We realize this is a lofty and borderline arrogant goal.  We’ve done our best. Please keep reading to see if you agree.

Brass vs. Steel Cased Ammo Test Summary

•   We acquired four identical Bushmaster AR-15 rifles.  We chose the Bushmaster MOE Series AR-15 because it’s a widely available, affordable, and mass-market.  Our team didn’t want something too cheap and of lower quality or something too expensive and of high quality since our goal is to help the most number of people.

•   We acquired 10,000 rounds each of the following ammunition (new production):

o   Federal 55gr – Brass-Cased – Copper Jacket

o   Wolf 55gr FMJ – Steel-Cased with Polymer Coating – Bi-Metal Jacket (steel and copper)

o   Tula 55gr FMJ – Steel-Cased with Polymer Coating – Bi-Metal Jacket (steel and copper)

o   Brown Bear 55gr FMJ – Steel-Cased with Lacquer Coating – Bi-Metal Jacket (steel and copper)

•   We paired each ammunition type with a specific Bushmaster AR-15 and then fired all 10,000 rounds of it through that particular carbine (except for Tula; more on that below)

•   We systematically observed and tested various things, including (more details below):

o   At the start: accuracy, velocity, chamber and gas port pressures, chamber cast

o   After 2,000 rounds:  accuracy, velocity

o   At the 4,000 round mark:  accuracy, velocity

o   After 5,000 rounds: throat erosion, chamber cast

o   Af the 6,000 round mark:  accuracy, velocity

o   After 8,000 rounds:  accuracy, velocity

o   After 10,000 rounds:  accuracy, velocity, chamber and gas port pressures, throat erosion, extractor wear, chamber cast, barrel wear

•   We logged every malfunction of every rifle-ammo combination

•   The rifles were cleaned according to a preset schedule and temperatures were monitored and kept within acceptable limits (more below)

•   We sectioned the barrels and otherwise made unique observations after the test was complete

If you’re interested in any of the following, you’ll find observations, data, and further details below:

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2021, 01:09:04 pm »
Bimetal Jacket Impact

As indicated by accuracy testing, the steel cased/bimetal jacketed ammunition caused accelerated wear to the inside of their respective bores.

The barrel of the Federal carbine had plenty of life left after 10,000 rounds at extremely high rates of fire.

We subjected the Wolf and Brown Bear barrels to the same rates of fire and they were completely “shot out” by 6,000 rounds.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2021, 02:27:31 pm »

Bimetal Jacket Impact

As indicated by accuracy testing, the steel cased/bimetal jacketed ammunition caused accelerated wear to the inside of their respective bores.

The barrel of the Federal carbine had plenty of life left after 10,000 rounds at extremely high rates of fire.

We subjected the Wolf and Brown Bear barrels to the same rates of fire and they were completely “shot out” by 6,000 rounds.

@Elderberry

I see plenty of mention of bore wear with steel cased ammo,but not a word about chamber wear. Since an oversized chamber due to wear can cause a steel-cased round to explode inside the chamber and maybe blind or kill the shooter,IMHO,chamber wear/erosion is a MUCH more serious concern that bore wear.

Offline thackney

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2021, 03:26:52 pm »
@Elderberry

Thank you for the info and links

@unite for individuality Got my info above

Cheers!
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2021, 04:24:19 pm »
@Elderberry

I see plenty of mention of bore wear with steel cased ammo,but not a word about chamber wear. Since an oversized chamber due to wear can cause a steel-cased round to explode inside the chamber and maybe blind or kill the shooter,IMHO,chamber wear/erosion is a MUCH more serious concern that bore wear.

There's a lot less sliding in the chamber than in the bore,
so there's less wear there, too.

Brass casings do not need corrosion protection.
Steel casings do need corrosion protection.
They are usually coated with lacquer or polymer,
which can gunk up the chamber after many rounds
and cause feeding problems.
Lacquer tends to be worse in this regard.
If you're using coated casings,
you need to pay more attention to cleaning the chamber.

But the steel casings usually come with steel jacketed bullets,
which brings us back to the bore wear issue.
When shopping for ammo,
carefully read the product description.
Look for "magnetic" or "non-magnetic" bullets.
"Non-magnetic" is clearly preferable.
I've seen ammo made in America with magnetic bullets!
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2021, 04:56:57 pm »
@Elderberry

They reported taking chamber casts at 5,000 and 10,000 rounds but didn't report any finding.

One of the picture of the "cut" barrels also shows the neck portion of the chambers.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2021, 10:46:47 pm »
They reported taking chamber casts at 5,000 and 10,000 rounds but didn't report any finding.

One of the picture of the "cut" barrels also shows the neck portion of the chambers.

@Elderberry

Lots of throat erosion on the bottom two. I see so much erosion and pitting,I have to wonder what kind of powder they are using.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2021, 10:55:32 pm »
@Elderberry

Lots of throat erosion on the bottom two. I see so much erosion and pitting,I have to wonder what kind of powder they are using.

You'll just have to ask Federal and the Russians.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2021, 02:12:24 am »
You'll just have to ask Federal and the Russians.

@Elderberry

I don't really care. I bought a few cases of .223 and .308 when it was cheap. That Israeli .308 is some pretty hot stuff.