Author Topic: What will it take to get young people to appreciate America?  (Read 2252 times)

Offline LegalAmerican

Re: What will it take to get young people to appreciate America?
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2021, 03:18:29 am »
Make them live in Cuba for a year.

I was going to say North Korea.  ASK OTTO WARMEIR, SP.?  How much to appreciate America for. 

Offline AARguy

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2021, 03:13:42 am »
Free booze, free dope, free sex, free board, free lodging, free car, free education, and an automatic stipend.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2021, 03:58:29 am »
Free booze, free dope, free sex, free board, free lodging, free car, free education, and an automatic stipend.

You are being sarcastic....right?  Because ALL of that is going on right now. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2021, 06:20:32 am »
I may be alone in this,but I find the America of today very,very hard to appreciate.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2021, 07:14:28 am »
I may be alone in this,but I find the America of today very,very hard to appreciate.

'America' is an idea, not bounded by borders or popularity, nor by time. America has not changed.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2021, 07:51:27 am »
A great many young people are supreme ignoramuses thanks, ironically,  in large part to the amount of electronic gizmos they have to play with.
In the old days to amuse yourself many times you had to work at it. That includes the simple task of reading a book. I used to read the WB encyclopedia to amuse myself when the winter weather was so cold it was dangerous to go outside.
I wonder how many kids do that anymore or actually read a book?
Today's kids know things, they just don't know many real important things related to understanding the great country they live in.
We had our own library at home, including Britannica, which I still generally prefer. I can't count the hours when the weather was miserable I spent reading. TV was black and white, three channels if the wind was right, and not much to it. It's funny, I saw some movie the other night, and realized I had never seen it in color.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2021, 01:38:17 pm »
We had our own library at home, including Britannica, which I still generally prefer. I can't count the hours when the weather was miserable I spent reading. TV was black and white, three channels if the wind was right, and not much to it. It's funny, I saw some movie the other night, and realized I had never seen it in color.

When TV signed off the air for the day I enjoyed watching the Test Pattern.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2021, 01:41:49 pm »
When TV signed off the air for the day I enjoyed watching the Test Pattern.
I wasn't a fan of the tone they played after the National Anthem....beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2021, 01:58:05 pm »
I wasn't a fan of the tone they played after the National Anthem....beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

@Smokin Joe

I honestly think the teebee engineers came up with that annoying sound so it would wake up anyone that fell asleep while watching teebee,so they would go to bed.

Does anyone remember when tv shows started being broadcast 24/7? I sure don't,but I probably went 6 years without even watching tv when I was in the army starting in the mid-60's. Suddenly,it was THERE.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2021, 12:07:04 am »
Question:
"What will it take to get young people to appreciate America?"

Answer:
A lifetime lived under American communism.

THEN... perhaps they'll develop an understanding of what they threw away.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2021, 11:55:16 am »
Don't it always seem to go
You don't know what you got till its gone...

Joni Mitchell: Big Yellow Taxi

C S Lewis

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2021, 12:29:40 pm »
Keep mocking the ridiculousness of wokeism and soon it will be seen as uncool. It’s working.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2021, 12:58:25 pm »
Keep mocking the ridiculousness of wokeism and soon it will be seen as uncool. It’s working.

Yeah, but tell that to corporate America.  They are slow on the draw.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2021, 01:07:35 pm »
Yeah, but tell that to corporate America.  They are slow on the draw.
Corporate America has numerous examples of catering to wokeism that have caused companies to reach borderline collapse. Maybe if they hired CEOs that understood that alienating significant portions of their bread-and butter market share to cater to a very small percentage is just plain stupid, they'd do better.

C S Lewis

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2021, 02:06:28 pm »
Many of them need to spend months in third world countries interacting with the public.  Only then will they understand. 

We also have a problem with older Americans who forget what they were taught as children.  Just listen to Joe Biden - he sounds like a college chick, and 47% of the elderly voted for his dumb ass.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 02:07:16 pm by cato potatoe »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2021, 05:15:20 pm »

There is more to that than it may seem at first glance.

Yoot is unreasonably and inexorably driven to fads. I find more than a little comfort in the sure knowledge that reality WILL slap these dumazz kids upside the head with a 2x4.

Wisdom begins sometime after 30 years, sooner for some, later for others... But life suffers no fools. those shining egalitarian answers, so apparent and true to the inexperienced yoot, soon come to fruition... and one finds the piper must always be paid.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2021, 05:32:00 pm »
What is most disturbing to me is the natural youthful tendency of rebelliousness against authority seems to have been pretty much squashed. Kids are among the biggest statist scolds out there now.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2021, 06:11:07 pm »
What is most disturbing to me is the natural youthful tendency of rebelliousness against authority seems to have been pretty much squashed. Kids are among the biggest statist scolds out there now.

Unfortunately, that just shows the power of educators and their ability to mould the minds of the young - which is why fascists and authoritarians the world over always want to control education.  The nazis did it, the communists did it.  They turn the children into spies against their parents and family members.

In a way, it's not a squashing of the sense of rebellion, it's a perversion of the need to differentiate self from parent, and takes advantage of that need by setting the children against the parents and indoctrinating them into the belief that doing so is being progressive and future-oriented.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2021, 06:19:11 pm »
Take away their Iphones and Play Stations.
A Teacher Explains The Massive Challenges Young Americans Don’t Want To Face, But Must
Jeremy Adams' book, 'Hollowed Out,' offers an alarming diagnosis, as well as a little hope, for a generation that has rejected family and tradition for a damaging digital existence.
By Auguste Meyrat
August 13, 2021

It’s as frustrating as it is typical that cultural critics treat each new development in society as just another phase, as though it were an angsty adolescent trying out a new identity. In some ways, the thought that this or that specific trend is a phase with a beginning and an end may be comforting and easier to understand, but in other ways, it leads to inadequate solutions and circular arguments.  ...

While some may contend it’s completely natural that young people be a little shallow, Adams explains at length this is not true. Something has changed in the past decade, and it’s no secret what it is – their phones.

It’s an inconvenient truth that is quickly forgotten, but Adams makes it clear: “Young people spend up to nine hours a day on their phones, most of it on social media platforms with a vapid parade of posts, comments, and pictures.” Unlike the real world, which imposes certain demands on its participants, the virtual world demands nothing and actively discourages things like introspection, reflection, and accountability. ... Read entire article at The Federalist

And consideration that there are things more important than oneself, I suspect - like patriotism.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2021, 07:54:18 pm »
... the Boomers to get out of the way.  They are holding up progress on everything.
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

BassWrangler

« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2021, 07:56:09 pm »
One day in an ChiCom re-education camp.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2021, 08:33:23 pm »
I think the young ones are more conservative than you realize, even the college educated twits as we love to call them.

They are the largest voting group now. Those 75 million votes for Trump weren't all baby boomers.

Alot of it depends on where you live. Doubtful you'll find many in Manhattan, but they are pretty common here in the Midwest.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2021, 02:16:21 pm »
I think the young ones are more conservative than you realize, even the college educated twits as we love to call them.

They are the largest voting group now. Those 75 million votes for Trump weren't all baby boomers.

Alot of it depends on where you live. Doubtful you'll find many in Manhattan, but they are pretty common here in the Midwest.
I think you are right, but I'm seeing the situation from flyover country, too. Not that we could trust the pollsters and pundits to let it slip that there are Conservative youngsters out there, too. Leftist entities rely on herd mentalities, being "cool" (or whatever you want to call it), and the hammering social media shoutdowns to get compliance, but will not proclaim any failures to convert people to their way of thinking. If they can't shout them down, the censor them.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2021, 04:21:37 pm »
I think you are right, but I'm seeing the situation from flyover country, too. Not that we could trust the pollsters and pundits to let it slip that there are Conservative youngsters out there, too. Leftist entities rely on herd mentalities, being "cool" (or whatever you want to call it), and the hammering social media shoutdowns to get compliance, but will not proclaim any failures to convert people to their way of thinking. If they can't shout them down, the censor them.

Personal anecdote - the plant where I work is experiencing generational turnover and we are hiring alot of 20-somethings. They are nearly all conservative to libertarian, and way more informed than you'd expect.

And up until this election, it was a Democrat county.

The guy I work with direction is 26 and regularly wears a 'Reagan/Bush' 84' t-shirt. First time I saw that my mouth almost dropped open.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2021, 06:26:49 pm »
Personal anecdote - the plant where I work is experiencing generational turnover and we are hiring alot of 20-somethings. They are nearly all conservative to libertarian, and way more informed than you'd expect.

And up until this election, it was a Democrat county.

The guy I work with direction is 26 and regularly wears a 'Reagan/Bush' 84' t-shirt. First time I saw that my mouth almost dropped open.
The Democrats' reliance on identity politics is wearing thin with most of the 20 somethings here, unless (and then not always) they 'identify' with one of the protected victim groups. It's hard to get the response urban areas get, because even the youngsters here were generally raised with a work ethic (some did really well on oil royalties from parents/grandparents, but even they are usually farm kids who learned to work). While social media has its share of shills, a lot of the younger set here is downright cynical at the Left's claims and absolutely does not trust Government, especially under Biden. But that's in a county that voted 82% for Trump.

C S Lewis