Author Topic: The Economy: A Winning Issue for Republicans  (Read 847 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Economy: A Winning Issue for Republicans
« on: July 20, 2021, 02:57:10 am »
Powerline by John Hinderaker 7/19/2021

The Democrats entered 2021 thinking they could do pretty much anything they want, and coast to future victories on the back of the inevitable economic rebound from covid shutdown-depressed 2020. No matter how much they held back the economy, their thinking went, it would show vigorous growth and thereby insulate them from political fallout. The Democrats’ cockiness was exemplified by Joe Biden’s absurd assertion that “no serious economist” is worried about inflation.

This was basically the same strategy the Democrats followed in 2009, when Barack Obama took office in the wake of the 2008 financial collapse and resulting recession. The Democrats thought they were playing a hand they couldn’t lose. But, oops: 2010 saw a massive backlash and one of the best Republican cycles ever.

The same blowback may be building today, if this Tarrance Group survey is valid. Tarrance conducted interviews with voters in 51 battleground Congressional districts. It was not a conventional poll, and the numbers interviewed were relatively small, so take it with a grain of salt.

Still, if the interviews are anywhere near reliable, the results are encouraging for the forces of sanity. Voters are appropriately concerned about inflation and the other implications of the Democrats’ unprecedented spending spree. Thus:

More: https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2021/07/the-economy-a-winning-issue-for-republicans.php

Offline Hoodat

Re: The Economy: A Winning Issue for Republicans
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 03:27:52 am »
Conservatism would be a winning issue for Republicans, if Republicans were Conservatives.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 03:31:14 am »
Conservatism would [always] be a winning issue for Republicans, if Republicans were Conservatives.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 05:19:12 am »
It’s also a reflection of the divide between what average Americans are concerned about versus what Democrats consider the major concerns

Most Americans are concerned about rising crime, inflation, critical race theory…

Democrats are concerned about global warming and the fact that people have to show an ID when they vote
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 11:43:00 pm »
It used to be "the economy, stupid".

But it ain't no mo'.

These days it's "the politics", stupid.

"The economy" doesn't matter when the government keeps handing out mo' and mo' free stuff...

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 04:23:09 am »
It used to be "the economy, stupid".

But it ain't no mo'.

These days it's "the politics", stupid.

"The economy" doesn't matter when the government keeps handing out mo' and mo' free stuff...

That's right... From BOTH sides.