Author Topic: Ruger Setting Stage for Return of Marlin  (Read 5723 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Ruger Setting Stage for Return of Marlin
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2021, 01:14:03 pm »
@Elderberry

No,I meant remove the peep sight. It slides left and right for windage adjustments,and there should be a larger rectangular hole when it is removed.

@sneakypete

Maybe so with the peep sights you are used to using.  Williams sights just ain't built thataway.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2021, 03:06:05 pm »
@sneakypete

Maybe so with the peep sights you are used to using.  Williams sights just ain't built thataway.

@Elderberry

Never really liked peep sights,so I was never willing to spend the money for the high-priced spread. I guess you could take the biggest drill bit you could find that wouldn't completely destroy your sight,and drill it out after removing the "peep",but that seems wasteful to me. Better to sell it and then mount one of the cheapies like came on my 22 rifle when I was 10. Remove the aperture,and "BINGO!",you have a "ghost sight".

I never really "got" the whole peep sight thing on a hunting rifle to start with,since you are supposed to focus on the front sight,anyway. Let your eye do the "work". It's what eyes do.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2021, 03:21:19 pm »
I don't know what your problem is with them. They work fine for me both in the woods and at the range.

You don't focus on the aperture. No matter what its diameter is. You look thru it and place the front sight on your target.

To each his own.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 03:24:04 pm by Elderberry »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2021, 05:46:02 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_sights

Aperture sights

Aperture sights, also known as "peep sights", range from the "ghost ring" sight, whose thin ring blurs to near invisibility (hence "ghost"), to target aperture sights that use large disks or other occluders with pinhole-sized apertures. In general, the thicker the ring, the more precise the sight, and the thinner the ring, the faster the sight.[2]

The theory of operation behind the aperture sight is often stated that the human eye will automatically center the front sight when looking through the rear aperture, thus ensuring accuracy.[2] However, aperture sights are accurate even if the front sight is not centered in the rear aperture due to a phenomenon called parallax suppression.[10] This is because, when the aperture is smaller than the eye's pupil diameter, the aperture itself becomes the entrance pupil for the entire optical system of target, front sight post, rear aperture, and eye. As long as the aperture's diameter is completely contained within the eye's pupil diameter, the exact visual location of the front sight post within the rear aperture ring does not affect the accuracy, and accuracy only starts to degrade slightly due to parallax shift as the aperture's diameter begins to encroach on the outside of the eye's pupil diameter. An additional benefit to aperture sights is that smaller apertures provide greater depth of field, making the target less blurry when focusing on the front sight.

In low light conditions the parallax suppression phenomenon is markedly better. The depth of field looking through the sight remains the same as in bright conditions.[10] This is in contrast to open sights, where the eye's pupil will become wider in low light conditions, meaning a larger aperture and a blurrier target. The downside to this is that the image through an aperture sight is darker than with an open sight.

These sights are used on target rifles of several disciplines and on several military rifles such as the Pattern 1914 Enfield and M1917 Enfield, M1 Garand, the No. 4 series Enfields and the M16 series of weapons along with several others.

Ghost ring

The ghost ring sight is considered by some to be the fastest type of aperture sight.[neutrality is disputed] It is fairly accurate, easy to use, and obscures the target less than nearly all other non-optical sights. Because of this, ghost ring sights are commonly installed on riot and combat shotguns and customized handguns, and they are also gaining ground as a backup sighting system on rifles.[citation needed] The ghost ring is a fairly recent innovation, and differs from traditional aperture sights in the extreme thinness of the rear ring and the slightly thicker front sight. The thin ring minimizes the occlusion of the target, while the thicker front post makes it easy to find quickly. Factory Mossberg ghost ring sights also have thick steel plates on either side of the extremely thin ring. These are to protect the sight's integrity in cases where, for example, the shotgun were to fall and impact a surface in a manner that would, in the absence of the steel plates on either side, damage or distort the shape of the ring.

BassWrangler

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2021, 07:13:32 pm »
I don't know what your problem is with them. They work fine for me both in the woods and at the range.

You don't focus on the aperture. No matter what its diameter is. You look thru it and place the front sight on your target.

To each his own.

Agree. I love peep sights. Prefer red dot sight, but peep sights don't have a battery to go dead

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2021, 09:00:30 pm »
Agree. I love peep sights. Prefer red dot sight, but peep sights don't have a battery to go dead

I have to remember to check the battery in my M1Carbine's red dot.  I also have a red dot on my 1911. But I like the way it shoots so naturally for me with iron sights, so I have 2 slides for it.

BassWrangler

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2021, 05:50:25 am »
I have to remember to check the battery in my M1Carbine's red dot.  I also have a red dot on my 1911. But I like the way it shoots so naturally for me with iron sights, so I have 2 slides for it.

Replace the batteries on your birthday. That way it's not an issue. Bit of a pain that some pistol RDS require removing the site to do that (with subsequent re-sighting in).

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2021, 11:42:24 pm »
I'd like to see them bring back an innovation from the past..........quality.

I agree. Quality took a turn for the worst when Remington bought them. And it’s Remingtons fault if you read about what happened.

My Glenfield (née Marlin) was made in 1991 and the quality is superb.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!