Author Topic: Ruger Setting Stage for Return of Marlin  (Read 5688 times)

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Ruger Setting Stage for Return of Marlin
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2021, 01:33:44 am »
I am just on the edge of that... Getting to be where I can't see the dot, not to mention the distant prey. Fixed that some with light gathering orange front sight - that fixed the up close problem for now.

And I am getting to where the scope will be a necessity... along with remembering to adjust the sight beforehand when changing from brush to field... And just forget about over 150.

But thanks. I reckon I will be there in a year or two, and that 1-4 variable will undoubtedly be the ticket.

My cousin, with whom I've had the pleasure of sharing many a campfire, has never been able to sit and wait on a stand for game to show up so most of his shots have been at spooked animals and he has been remarkably successful at that. His sight of choice is a double ghost ring. Ain't nothing faster than that. @roamer_1
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 01:34:34 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2021, 01:35:11 am »
I wouldn't be hunting Elk, or even Mule deer with a 30-30.  I 'm right there with you on the .300 WM for Elk but most likely would go with my trusty old .270 Winchester if on a combo hunt.

@Bigun

I go up with the big iron in the scabbard on my back, and the 45/70 on a mountain sling in my hands.

I can certainly take an elk with the 45/70. I just never get the chance in the brush.
If they spook up around me it's likely a snap shot that I won't take. And then they're disappeared, just that fast.

Just better for me to be off a ways where I can take my time toward a well aimed shot.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2021, 01:45:39 am »
for clarity, I committed a while back to First Tactical... both my go bag (35L),  and my 55 liter bag are First Tactical, and are fitted with a pass-through enclosure designed to carry a rifle scabbard.

All my working guns live in a First Tactical scabbard, so that is what I mean by the 300 win going up in a scabbard on my back.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2021, 01:55:08 am »
I've always thought that the Controlled Feed bolt actions were the most reliable.

@Elderberry

Well,,they ARE reliable,but I won't say "most" reliable. ESPECIALLY not in a panic situation,where loading another round manually quickly and being able to shoot it are important factors. LOTS of people have panicked in stressful situations and "short stroked" a bolt rifle while trying to reload it,and ended up with an empty chamber.

Plus,almost everybody takes their eyes off the target trying to chamber another round in a bolt gun.

Neither are problems in a lever gun,plus they hold more ammo.

Hard to beat a Marlin 45/70 in bear country as a sling rifle while wandering around,though. Although if being attacked by a brownie,I would prefer a Huey Cobra or a Spooky C-130 gun ship.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 01:58:59 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2021, 01:58:29 am »
My cousin, with whom I've had the pleasure of sharing many a campfire, has never been able to sit and wait on a stand for game to show up so most of his shots have been at spooked animals and he has been remarkably successful at that. His sight of choice is a double ghost ring. Ain't nothing faster than that. @roamer_1

@Bigun

I ain't that way, mostly. I am quiet on the path, and I can usually take a planned shot. I have been a brush hunter my whole life - that's what you get till you get on a ridge. The ravines getting to the ridge are choked up, always. You get some open bottoms and hollers and a feller does alright there with a blind or a slow walk. But here, you are probably high on a ridge sitting and waiting for a shot.

It's nice too... Set a little camp, have some coffee on the fire, a bag of snickers, and sit and wait.

In the brush I tend to find a trail heading to water and find a likely place and sit down. Just the best luck for me down in the bottoms. I seldom take a snap shot. Don't want to take a chance at injury, and don't want the adrenaline tainting the meat anyway.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2021, 02:01:38 am »
Back in the day the Pump action Colt Lightning rifle was a very good equivalent.

@Wingnut

True,but IF I remember correctly,they were only good for black powder loads,and they weren't real sturdy.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2021, 02:03:44 am »
@sneakypete , lever actions are hardly the most reliable. They have fairly finicky timing that can get off as parts wear. If you want guaranteed reliability, go for a bolt action.

@BassWrangler

That has never been my experience,and I was a professional gunsmith for several years. Almost never had to do anything to a lever gun but replace a long firing pin from dry firing.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2021, 02:05:01 am »
A few weeks ago my son and a couple of his friends were out in the back forty shooting their ARs.  I drove out to where they were and asked if they minded an old man seeing if his old 30-30 still worked? They accommodated me and I proceeded to put three in the ten ring at 100yds from a standing position.

I thanked them, got back in my vehicle and left.

At dinner that evening my son accused me of showing off for his friends. I said not a word.  At 73 I didn't think any comment to be necessary.

@sneakypete   

@Bigun

Sometimes,even at 73,life can be good!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2021, 02:09:32 am »
I know you don't like peep sights, so that ain't an option. That leaves a red dot sight, Or a low magnification scope. The last scope I purchased for a hog gun was a 1-4 power variable. While in the brush, leave it at 1X.

@Elderberry

Unscrew the "peep" from  your peep sight,and discover the wonderful world of Ghost Rings. Your eye will automatically center the front sight in it without you even trying.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2021, 02:10:22 am »
@Bigun

Sometimes,even at 73,life can be good!

Yep!  That's a fact!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2021, 02:18:35 am »
@Elderberry

Well,,they ARE reliable,but I won't say "most" reliable. ESPECIALLY not in a panic situation,where loading another round manually quickly and being able to shoot it are important factors. LOTS of people have panicked in stressful situations and "short stroked" a bolt rifle while trying to reload it,and ended up with an empty chamber.

Plus,almost everybody takes their eyes off the target trying to chamber another round in a bolt gun.

Neither are problems in a lever gun,plus they hold more ammo.

@sneakypete
That's probably right. Bolt guns are for long range, where you have time to jack another round...
I will take a lever in the brush every time - even before a side arm.

Hard to beat a Marlin 45/70 in bear country as a sling rifle while wandering around,though. Although if being attacked by a brownie,I would prefer a Huey Cobra or a Spooky C-130 gun ship.

LOL! YUP.

Can't say enough how bad it is getting caught with a scoped gun in brush with dire need. Especially a scoped bolt gun.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2021, 02:20:58 am »
Let's not forget the Savage Model 99. Especially if you can find one in .308. EXCELLENT lever rifle.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2021, 02:25:23 am »
@Elderberry

Unscrew the "peep" from  your peep sight,and discover the wonderful world of Ghost Rings. Your eye will automatically center the front sight in it without you even trying.

As if I don't know all of this all ready??? All of my non-scoped rifles have peep sights on them. Back when I was around 14 when I bought my first deer rifle, a Glenfield 30-30, I immediately mounted a set of Weaver Foolproof peep sights on it.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2021, 02:29:35 am »
Let's not forget the Savage Model 99. Especially if you can find one in .308. EXCELLENT lever rifle.

Absolutely! But finding one is next to impossible because those who have them ain't about to turn them loose.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2021, 02:34:12 am »
@Elderberry

@sneakypete

My first bolt action, other than my Rem521 .22  was a Rem700 in .243. Being a "Short Action", I could aim, shoot, extract and load with my vision still on my target, thru the scope, the entire time.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2021, 02:34:26 am »
@Elderberry

I don't even recall ever seeing the sights the very few snap shots I've made successfully
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 02:59:04 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2021, 02:53:19 am »
@Wingnut

True,but IF I remember correctly,they were only good for black powder loads,and they weren't real sturdy.
@sneakypete
My FIL had a Remington, I think 760 in 30-06 so pretty darn sturdy and not black powder. All the guns, along with 90%+ of everything else went to my wife's brother, but he's a diabetic who doesn't take care of himself and 300+ pounds, now there's only him and my wife so...........
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 02:54:17 am by GtHawk »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2021, 04:01:15 am »
As if I don't know all of this all ready??? All of my non-scoped rifles have peep sights on them. Back when I was around 14 when I bought my first deer rifle, a Glenfield 30-30, I immediately mounted a set of Weaver Foolproof peep sights on it.

@Elderberry

Did you,or didn't you remove the peep sights?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2021, 04:05:37 am »
@sneakypete
My FIL had a Remington, I think 760 in 30-06 so pretty darn sturdy and not black powder. All the guns, along with 90%+ of everything else went to my wife's brother, but he's a diabetic who doesn't take care of himself and 300+ pounds, now there's only him and my wife so...........

@GtHawk

I had forgotten all about the Remington pump rifles. What I remember most about them is they make a hell of a lot of noise from just being on your shoulder when you walk. Rattles from the slide action and the magazine rattle.

Every one I ever touched was a used gun in for repair,though. New ones might have been a lot quieter.

I may be wrong about this because it has been  a LOOONG time,but I also seem to remember the recoil with the 30/06 was horrendous,due a combination of bad stock design and the recoil of the 06.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 04:08:12 am by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2021, 04:09:50 am »
Absolutely! But finding one is next to impossible because those who have them ain't about to turn them loose.

@Bigun

Yeah,if you find one for sale,it is usually either in a pawn shop or an estate sale.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2021, 04:29:44 am »
@GtHawk

I had forgotten all about the Remington pump rifles. What I remember most about them is they make a hell of a lot of noise from just being on your shoulder when you walk. Rattles from the slide action and the magazine rattle.

Every one I ever touched was a used gun in for repair,though. New ones might have been a lot quieter.

I may be wrong about this because it has been  a LOOONG time,but I also seem to remember the recoil with the 30/06 was horrendous,due a combination of bad stock design and the recoil of the 06.
@sneakypete
Could be, I don't recall shooting it, I did fire his 03 Springfield and recall the kick from that. The worst thing I fired as far as hard recoil was a old .45-70 carbine my FIL had that he and my BIL thought would be very funny to load a round up hot and offer it to me to shoot...that hurt!

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2021, 06:38:13 am »
I love reading a good thread like this one.... but it pains me to admit I have never shot a lever gun, not even once.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2021, 06:57:07 am »
@sneakypete
Could be, I don't recall shooting it, I did fire his 03 Springfield and recall the kick from that. The worst thing I fired as far as hard recoil was a old .45-70 carbine my FIL had that he and my BIL thought would be very funny to load a round up hot and offer it to me to shoot...that hurt!

@GtHawk

Yeah,a carbine and a heavy 45-70 load is not a fun combination to shoot for pleasure,but it is a good combo for hiking or camping in an area with bears.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2021, 11:46:49 am »
@Elderberry

Did you,or didn't you remove the peep sights?

@sneakypete

You must be confusing me with someone else. I first brought up peeps with Roamer who doesn't use them. Like I said, all my non-scoped rifles have peep sights. My scoped guns Never had peeps on them. Except the scope on my MAS49/56 is side mounted and it still has its factory aperture/peep sights on it. I mount peeps to stay. Well my Mausers also had aperture sights, but I rebarreled them ages ago and now they're scoped.

Now if you were meaning, "Did you Unscrew the aperture from your peep sights and just use the larger threaded hole?" Of course I have.  The way your eyes work using the different diameter apertures or just the large threaded hole is all the same. No alignment of front and rear sights is ever required.  Only more light comes thru, the larger the hole size is. There may be some amount of loss of accuracy, the larger the aperture is, but I haven't seen it affect me hunting. I have tiny apertures I only insert when I am at the range.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2021, 12:29:20 pm »
@sneakypete

You must be confusing me with someone else. I first brought up peeps with Roamer who doesn't use them. Like I said, all my non-scoped rifles have peep sights. My scoped guns Never had peeps on them. Except the scope on my MAS49/56 is side mounted and it still has its factory aperture/peep sights on it. I mount peeps to stay. Well my Mausers also had aperture sights, but I rebarreled them ages ago and now they're scoped.

Now if you were meaning, "Did you Unscrew the aperture from your peep sights and just use the larger threaded hole?" Of course I have. 

@Elderberry

No,I meant remove the peep sight. It slides left and right for windage adjustments,and there should be a larger rectangular hole when it is removed.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 12:32:09 pm by sneakypete »