Author Topic: California is planning floating wind farms offshore to boost its power supply – here’s how they work  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Watts Up With That? by Matthew Lackner 7/17/2021

Northern California has some of the strongest offshore winds in the U.S., with immense potential to produce clean energy. But it has a problem. Its continental shelf drops off quickly, making building traditional wind turbines directly on the seafloor costly if not impossible.

Once water gets more than about 200 feet deep – roughly the height of an 18-story building – these “monopile” structures are pretty much out of the question.

A solution has emerged that’s being tested in several locations around the world: making wind turbines that float. In fact, in California, where drought is putting pressure on the hydropower supply and fires have threatened electricity imports from the Pacific Northwest, the state is moving forward on plans to develop the nation’s first floating offshore wind farms as we speak.

So how do they work?
Three main ways to float a turbine

A floating wind turbine works just like other wind turbines – wind pushes on the blades, causing the rotor to turn, which drives a generator that creates electricity. But instead of having its tower embedded directly into the ground or the sea floor, a floating wind turbine sits on a platform with mooring lines, such as chains or ropes, that connect to anchors in the seabed below.

More: https://wattsupwiththat.com/2021/07/17/california-is-planning-floating-wind-farms-offshore-to-boost-its-power-supply-heres-how-they-work/

Three of the common types of floating wind turbine platform.

Online Hoodat

As if their electricity prices aren't high enough already.  Offshore wind may be the most costly way to generate electricity.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline PeteS in CA

Those look like enviro-disasters - real ones, not chimeras - in search of a site to happen.

If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Oh yeah/  That'll work. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I am convinced an army for Forest Gumps have infliltrated our R & D ranks.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Seems to me Germany was going gangbusters on offshore wind farms and ran into problems, one that I am sure California will also have had to do with the grid. And apparently you just can't count on the wind.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/german-renewables-use-knocked-by-lower-wind-output-2021-06-28/

rangerrebew

Have they made contingency plans for what happens if they get in the way of a Hollyweird  star's yacht? wink777

Offline Idiot

Watts Up With That? by Matthew Lackner 7/17/2021

Northern California has some of the strongest offshore winds in the U.S., with immense potential to produce clean energy. But it has a problem. Its continental shelf drops off quickly, making building traditional wind turbines directly on the seafloor costly if not impossible.

Once water gets more than about 200 feet deep – roughly the height of an 18-story building – these “monopile” structures are pretty much out of the question.

A solution has emerged that’s being tested in several locations around the world: making wind turbines that float. In fact, in California, where drought is putting pressure on the hydropower supply and fires have threatened electricity imports from the Pacific Northwest, the state is moving forward on plans to develop the nation’s first floating offshore wind farms as we speak.

So how do they work?
Three main ways to float a turbine

A floating wind turbine works just like other wind turbines – wind pushes on the blades, causing the rotor to turn, which drives a generator that creates electricity. But instead of having its tower embedded directly into the ground or the sea floor, a floating wind turbine sits on a platform with mooring lines, such as chains or ropes, that connect to anchors in the seabed below.

More: https://wattsupwiththat.com/2021/07/17/california-is-planning-floating-wind-farms-offshore-to-boost-its-power-supply-heres-how-they-work/

Three of the common types of floating wind turbine platform.
Wait until the mother earth lovers see these beautiful (ugh) turbines on the horizon from their multi-million dollar mansions.  I used to kind of tolerate the turbines, now I can't stand them.  They are EVERYWHERE here...not to mention solar farms that seem to go on forever.