Author Topic: Expect a 10% or worse correction in U.S. stocks by mid-August, says this forecaster with a proven tr  (Read 2545 times)

Offline libertybele

10%  ??  We're due for a market correction, and with runaway inflation and shortages of goods, I think we're likely to see a correction much, much worse than that.
Expect a 10% or worse correction in U.S. stocks by mid-August, says this forecaster with a proven track record

To be sure, predictions are a dime a dozen on Wall Street. But this one comes from Hayes Martin, president of investment advisory firm Market Extremes. I was introduced to Martin’s work several years ago and since then I’ve found his predictions of market turning points to be impressive. (For the record: Martin does not have an investment newsletter; my newsletter-tracking firm does not audit his investment performance.)

I devoted two columns to Martin’s forecasts over the past year, and both proved prescient. In May 2020, I concluded that “the stock market… is stronger than even the most bullish investors believe.” In January of this year, I wrote that the market was still “firing on all cylinders.”

In an interview on July 14, Martin said the U.S. stock market today is most definitely not firing on all cylinders. In fact, he said, the market’s internal health is now worse than at any time since October 2018. That was the beginning of a 20% decline in the S&P 500 SPX, -0.75% and a 26% decline in the small-cap Russell 2000 Index ..........................

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/expect-a-10-correction-in-u-s-stocks-by-mid-august-says-this-forecaster-with-a-proven-track-record-11626380633?mod=home-page
« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 11:47:19 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I have to admit I agree. The market is starting to look tired and wobbly.

The problem is the monetary effect. What it should do and what it will do might be two different things.
The Republic is lost.

Offline cato potatoe

Is anybody else reallocating for the short term?  My financial advisor sees a 10-20% pullback in equities, followed by a resumption of the bull market due to fed lunacy.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Is anybody else reallocating for the short term?  My financial advisor sees a 10-20% pullback in equities, followed by a resumption of the bull market due to fed lunacy.
Wouldn't surprise me to see a 10,000 point drop.

Focusing on no new accumulations, value and dividend stocks make up bulwark, and keep lots of cash to ride it out
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical

Focusing on no new accumulations, value and dividend stocks make up bulwark, and keep lots of cash to ride it out

Right now the market looks like crap. Monetary effect not withstanding, I think we're very close to a big down move.
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

Yes, dividend stocks; cash/gold on the side as a safety net.

I think 10% is conservative.  I'm going with 35-50%.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
After living through '87, '00, '08, and '20 corrections, and it is my opinion that this bubble has more of an '00 feel to it, based on mad idiotic speculative market run up, with no fundemenatals backing up the rise.....  The early '70's ugliness was pretty much before my time, but it was unique (at least during the past 50 years), of being one ugly bleed that lasted almost 2 years.

Based on S & P as a reference point, here is the data:

'87-33.5%
'00-49.1%
'08-56.8%
'20-33.9%
'21- ??

I'd say the odds of having a near 50% correction are very high.  End of 3Q (October) has always been the psychological trigger for these events. And based on wreckless governemnt fiscal policy, I am also guessing this one is going to be a long one. Nothing positive is going right, right now, as far as equites sustained profits, and subsequently equity price.

As far as investment choices, anything outside land, precious metals, and things focusng on prepper areas is.....  likely going to get beat up badly

When it crash lands, then we can pick and choose some bargains.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 01:32:21 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline skeeter

After living through '87, '00, '08, and '20 corrections, and it is my opinion that this bubble has more of an '00 feel to it, based on mad idiotic speculative market run up, with no fundemenatals backing up the rise.....  The early '70's ugliness was pretty much before my time, but it was unique (at least during the past 50 years), of being one ugly bleed that lasted almost 2 years.

Based on S & P as a reference point, here is the data:

'87-33.5%
'00-49.1%
'08-56.8%
'20-33.9%
'21- ??

I'd say the odds of having a near 50% correction are very high.  End of 3Q (October) has always been the psychological trigger for these events. And based on wreckless governemnt fiscal policy, I am also guessing this one is going to be a long one. Nothing positive is going right, right now, as far as equites sustained profits, and subsequently equity price.

As far as investment choices, anything outside land, precious metals, and things focusng on prepper areas is.....  likely going to get beat up badly

When it crash lands, then we can pick and choose some bargains.
what would you recommend one do with a 401k that wouldn’t involve getting pantsed by Uncle Sam?

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
I'm going to figure 15% initially, probably pretty quick.
The Republic is lost.