Author Topic: The Canadian Immigration System? Bring It On!  (Read 190 times)

rangerrebew

The Canadian Immigration System? Bring It On!
« on: July 17, 2021, 04:41:07 pm »
The Canadian Immigration System? Bring It On!
By John Miano on July 17, 2021

This week, we had a bit of political theater courtesy of Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.), chairwoman of the House immigration subcommittee, in the form of a hearing titled “Oh, Canada! How Outdated U.S. Immigration Policies Push Top Talent to Other Countries”.

Let’s look at some of the overall differences between the U.S. and Canada in regard to immigration:

Difference No. 1: The Bases of Immigration. A major difference is that the U.S. immigration system is mostly family-based, while the Canadian system is mostly employment-based.

Difference No. 2: Foreign Workers in Canada Are Not Chained to Their Employers. On the employment-based immigration side, Canada’s system is different as well. What the U.S. has is really an employer-based system. The employer makes the visa petition on behalf of the potential immigrant.

In Canada, the potential immigrants make their own visa applications. Having a job is a factor in getting accepted, but the potential immigrants determine their own fates.

Furthermore, even temporary workers can change jobs easily. In fact, it is illegal in Canada to fire a temporary worker for looking for another job.

https://cis.org/Miano/Canadian-Immigration-System-Bring-It

Offline Hoodat

Re: The Canadian Immigration System? Bring It On!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 05:05:29 pm »
Difference No. 2: Foreign Workers in Canada Are Not Chained to Their Employers. On the employment-based immigration side, Canada’s system is different as well. What the U.S. has is really an employer-based system. The employer makes the visa petition on behalf of the potential immigrant.

This is huge.  It allows foreign workers to effectively become slaves to their employers.  I work with a guy from India who has been waiting over 10 years for a green card.  While he waits, he is not allowed to change jobs unless he can first find another company to sponsor him.  So while he waits, he is forced to work for a lower wage than his American counterparts.  And it is to his employer's advantage that his status remains stalled.

This also keeps my wage down since my employer can always replace me with another slave from India.  If foreign nationals are allowed to switch jobs, then wages will increase due to the introduction of competition for the best workers.  And the underperforming workers will find themselves pushed out of work from the higher wages demanded.

Bill Clinton set all this up with the whole VISA lottery where the government profits by controlling the number of VISAs offered.  It needs to end now.  It is not fair that my co-worker who is an exemplary person and a blessing to everyone around him is forced to work for an employer taking advantage of him for over ten years while some San Bernardino terrorist is given a green card after a month in the US.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-