Author Topic: House Democrats Remind Speaker of the Coalitions That Put Him There  (Read 777 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas Scorecard by Jeramy Kitchen July 15, 2021

“There needs to be 76 members who decide who our next Speaker is, and more than 60 are not there.”

On Thursday, in response to Texas House Speaker Dade Phelan removing Democrat State Rep. Joe Moody (El Paso) as the House speaker pro tempore, the leaders of the various House Democrat caucuses issued a joint statement condemning the action.

“We know first hand that Speaker Pro Tem Joe Moody has done more than any other member on the House Floor to protect our Chamber and the institution of the Texas House. It’s unfortunate that Speaker Phelan has been unable to do the same.”

They went on to add, “We are a coequal branch of government. When Governor Abbott decided to defund the whole legislature, Speaker Phelan was silent. There needs to be 76 members who decide who our next Speaker is, and more than 60 are not there.”

The joint statement was issued by State Rep. Rafael Anchia (D–Dallas), chairman of the Mexican American Legislative Caucus; State Rep. Chris Turner (D–Grand Prairie), chairman of the House Democrat Caucus; State Rep. Nicole Collier (D–Ft. Worth), chairman of the Texas Legislative Black Caucus; and State Rep. Garnet Coleman (D–Houston), chairman of the Legislative Study Group.

Also on Wednesday, Texas House Speaker Dade Phelan released another statement, saying, “In an effort to further compel House Democrats to return to the State of Texas, I am chartering a plane that will be on standby in Washington, D.C., on Saturday. I am demanding all of our colleagues in D.C. to contact my staff immediately in order to secure their seat on the plane and return to Austin in order to do the state’s business. The State of Texas is waiting.”

More: https://texasscorecard.com/state/house-democrats-remind-speaker-of-the-coalitions-that-put-him-there/

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: House Democrats Remind Speaker of the Coalitions That Put Him There
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 02:37:56 am »
Phelan Finally Strips Democrat Joe Moody of ‘No. 2’ Position

https://texasscorecard.com/state/phelan-finally-strips-democrat-joe-moody-of-no-2-position/

Phelan has thus far been reluctant to punish Democrat quorum-breakers in any meaningful way.

On Wednesday, Texas House Speaker Dade Phelan relieved Democrat State Rep. Joe Moody (El Paso) of his position as speaker pro tempore, effective immediately.

This was undoubtedly in response to Moody being one of the many Democrat lawmakers who left Texas for Washington, D.C., shirking responsibilities during the ongoing legislative session and paralyzing the House of Representatives who, due to lack of quorum, are unable to consider any legislation as an overall body or in the committee process.

What is the Position of Speaker Pro Tempore?

Per the House rules, the position of speaker pro tempore is governed by Rule 1, Section 10, which states:

“A permanent speaker pro tempore shall, in the absence or inability of the speaker, call the house to order and perform all other duties of the chair in presiding over the deliberations of the house and perform other duties and exercise other responsibilities related to presiding over the deliberations of the house as may be assigned in writing by the speaker.”

It goes on to say:

“The speaker pro tempore shall serve at the pleasure of the speaker. In the event of a vacancy in the office of speaker, the speaker pro tempore does not assume the office of speaker. The authority of the speaker pro tempore to perform the duties and exercise the responsibilities of the speaker is limited as provided by this section.”

Per Rule 4, Section 4 (c) of the House rules, “a permanent speaker pro tempore appointed under Rule 1, Section 10, may not serve on more than one substantive committee or as chair of a standing committee.”

Moody also currently serves as the Vice Chairman of the House Calendars Committee, a position that Phelan has not stripped him of as of yet. He previously served as speaker pro tempore during the 86th Legislative Session (2019), when he was appointed by former Speaker Dennis Bonnen (R).

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 06:52:04 am »
Not a lot can be done now with the horse out the barn door.

It sounds like little effort was made to stop them in the first place.
The Republic is lost.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 01:13:53 pm »
Phelan Finally Strips Democrat Joe Moody of ‘No. 2’ Position

https://texasscorecard.com/state/phelan-finally-strips-democrat-joe-moody-of-no-2-position/
stupid to place him in a responsible position anyway.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 02:05:03 pm »
stupid to place him in a responsible position anyway.

With Dade Phelan as speaker who needs a Democrat?

The most important vote cast in any legislative session takes place on the first day and once the speaker's chair is filled you pretty much know what is going to happen for the rest of that session.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 02:20:15 pm »
Not a lot can be done now with the horse out the barn door.

It sounds like little effort was made to stop them in the first place.

For the most part, the scum that populate the Texas legislature are every bit as duplicitous as the scum populating the feral legislature.

@Free Vulcan

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien