Author Topic: Decriminalization of marijuana is pushing pot-sniffing police dogs into retirement  (Read 320 times)

Online corbe

Decriminalization of marijuana is pushing pot-sniffing police dogs into retirement

Peter Hermann, Justin Jouvenal  28 mins ago

Apparently, no one told the officers’ canine colleagues that their pot-sniffing days were over.

The D.C. Office of Police Complaints, an independent agency that reviews and investigates allegations of misconduct, questioned the canines’ continued use in detecting drugs and criticized the department for failing to amend its practices following the change in the law six years ago.

The problem is that certain dogs used by police were trained to alert to several drugs. That includes marijuana, which, depending on the amount, could now be legal. Their human handlers cannot tell which drug the dogs have noticed.

Dustin Sternbeck, a D.C. police spokesman, said Friday that the department agreed with the agency’s assessments and will no longer deploy those dogs during traffic stops and other routine patrols. He also said the police department is phasing out canines trained to smell marijuana and other drugs.

The D.C. police department is among the latest law enforcement agencies around the country forced to change how its canine members perform their jobs as more states legalize marijuana in one form or another. Police in Virginia, Colorado, California, Michigan and Massachusetts have retired or repurposed drug-sniffing canines.

<..snip..>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/decriminalization-of-marijuana-is-pushing-pot-sniffing-police-dogs-into-retirement/ar-AAM9X2s?ocid=msedgntp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

I gotta admit I didn't see this coming.  Oh well, I certainly can't Rescue any of the Dogs.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline libertybele

I gotta admit I didn't see this coming.  Oh well, I certainly can't Rescue any of the Dogs.

Surely, canine unemployment benefits are on the horizon.     :shrug:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Surely, canine unemployment benefits are on the horizon.     :shrug:
Early retirement will cause emotional distress in working dogs, I foresee many disability retirement claims.