Author Topic: Nearly two-thirds of Millennials earning over $100K a year report living ‘paycheck-to-paycheck’  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
https://patriotdailypress.org/2021/07/13/nearly-two-thirds-of-millennials-earning-over-100k-a-year-report-living-paycheck-to-paycheck/

Nearly two-thirds of Millennials earning over $100K a year report living ‘paycheck-to-paycheck’
July 13, 2021

High-earning Millennials have a major spending problem.

What are the details? A new survey conducted by PYMENTS and LendingClub, which analyzed the financial data of roughly 30,000 Americans, found that 60% of Millennials making more than $100,000 a year still said they were living paycheck-to-paycheck, Business Insider reported.

That surprising figure was not far off from the 70% of Millennials in total who reported living paycheck-to-paycheck. Millennials are individuals born between 1981 and 1996.

In the survey, those living paycheck-to-paycheck were defined as consumers who “manage to pay their monthly bills but have little left over.”

According to the report, Millennials were not the only demographic of high earners who still lived paycheck-to-paycheck. In total, 40% of those earning more than $100,000 a year still struggled to make ends meet and have money left over.

But the fact that so many Millennials seem to struggle financially is indicative of a problem with exorbitant spending, not insufficient income, the report argued. Put simply, most Americans have not been saving enough money to avoid a paycheck-to-paycheck lifestyle.

The survey found that “70% of consumers have less than $15,000 in savings, and one-third of all consumers have less than $1,000,” or not a sufficient a cushion to shield against unexpected expenses.

More at URL above...

Offline Kamaji

Student loan payments - the modern world's equivalent of indentured servitude.

Offline Hoodat

Millennial choose to live paycheck to paycheck because they are cynical about the future.  They have been taught not to trust the financial sector while at the same time being shown not to trust government.  Millennial know better than any other demographic that Social Security is complete BS.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online berdie

Truthfully, I can see how this happens. I look at home prices, rental prices, car prices, etc. and shudder. Add on student loans. **nononono*

And we can now add food and gas prices.

Offline mountaineer

My guess is that they're spending a lot of money on nonessentials. Or, one might say, they treat a lot of things as essential when they really aren't.

One of the advantages of having parents who lived through the Great Depression and talked about it is that I have a healthy appreciation for frugality.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

Truthfully, I can see how this happens. I look at home prices, rental prices, car prices, etc. and shudder. Add on student loans. **nononono*

However, consider that home prices, rental prices, etc., are the same for those in the social security age bracket.  Prices aren't any cheaper for them and yes food and gas prices are astronomical.  The two of us live on a fraction of $100k.

Also consider those with children are now receiving up to $300.00 per child.  Gee, cry me a river.

I hadn't gone grocery shopping in a couple of weeks, and I was shocked.  $5.00 for a bag of lettuce and another $5.00 for a small bag of potato chips.  Yikes!!!! Our meat and frozen vegs supply is getting to where I need to replenish the freezers (not looking forward to that).

The packages are shrinking as well.  The carbonated flavored water, (most brands) runs about $3.99 for a 12 pack. Now the carbonated flavored water has shrunk to 8 packs and runs $3.99 -- 4 cans less for the same price!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 08:03:11 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

At that income bracket, 40% paycheck goes to payroll deductions - federal income tax, social security tax, medicare tax, state income taxes, life insurance, health insurance, retirement ... that's before you pay mortage, property taxes, and other monthly bills and daily costs of living.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online berdie

However, consider that home prices, rental prices, etc., are the same for those in the social security age bracket.  Prices aren't any cheaper for them and yes food and gas prices are astronomical.  The two of us live on a fraction of $100k.

Also consider those with children are now receiving up to $300.00 per child.  Gee, cry me a river.

I hadn't gone grocery shopping in a couple of weeks, and I was shocked.  $5.00 for a bag of lettuce and another $5.00 for a small bag of potato chips.  Yikes!!!! Our meat and frozen vegs supply is getting to where I need to replenish the freezers (not looking forward to that).

The packages are shrinking as well.  The carbonated flavored water, (most brands) runs about $3.99 for a 12 pack. Now the carbonated flavored water has shrunk to 8 packs and runs $3.99 -- 4 cans less for the same price!

I don't disagree that the prices are the same for retired individuals. Those that don't have paid for homes/automobiles and reduced debt are in the same boat with the millennials. Our Pay check to paycheck level is much lower. My neighbor (75 y/o) has to work over over 40 hours a week at a very physical job to make ends meet since her  SS is inadequate.

I totally agree about groceries. I went to the store last week after a two week break and was appalled! Produce and meat prices were were stupid crazy. The only positive I can find is that I do know how to cook (as I'm sure you do) and don't have to rely on premade food. I am not sure that a lot (not all) of the younger generation knows how to cook. They think gravy comes in a jar and the only way to get a "home cooked meal" is frozen and put in the microwave. Or at a restaurant. Both of those alternatives are pretty expensive.

Offline libertybele

At that income bracket, 40% paycheck goes to payroll deductions - federal income tax, social security tax, medicare tax, state income taxes, life insurance, health insurance, retirement ... that's before you pay mortage, property taxes, and other monthly bills and daily costs of living.

I looked at the federal tax bracket for someone making $100k and that bracket is 24%.  So, as for the actual payroll deduction, I am not sure, but the social security deduction is about 6% and another 1.5% for medicare.  So I think that the 40% deduction may be a little steep ... but regardless the taxes are the same for various age groups and most of us have the same expenses; mortgage, home owners insurance, health insurance, flood insurance, property taxes, etc., and daily cost of living.

Under Biden it's only going to get worse.  Guarantee it.

The only difference in age brackets is  that those who have children are getting up to $300.00 per child ....  which not EVERYONE is getting and again, most of us have the same expenses.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 08:44:56 pm by libertybele »

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online berdie

The only difference in age brackets is  that those who have children are getting up to $300.00 per child ....  which not EVERYONE is getting and again, most of us have the same expenses.

I have read that the $300 a month  "stimulus" for children is actually a monthly payment for the child tax credit that is normally received when a tax return is filed.

I might have misunderstood.

Online DB

I looked at the federal tax bracket for someone making $100k and that bracket is 24%.  So, as for the actual payroll deduction, I am not sure, but the social security deduction is about 6% and another 1.5% for medicare.  So I think that the 40% deduction may be a little steep ... but regardless the taxes are the same for various age groups and most of us have the same expenses; mortgage, home owners insurance, health insurance, flood insurance, property taxes, etc., and daily cost of living.

Under Biden it's only going to get worse.  Guarantee it.

Factor in state taxes and sales taxes...

Offline libertybele

I have read that the $300 a month  "stimulus" for children is actually a monthly payment for the child tax credit that is normally received when a tax return is filed.

I might have misunderstood.

Regardless,  it is still a benefit received that not everyone gets. Obviously, those without children and those with adult children.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

Just think about where all those six-figure jobs are: in very densely populated, urban and suburban areas. (Oil fields are an exception. But even there, boomtowns will drive up the cost of living just as badly.) Costs are thus through the roof.

You go outside of that area, and costs of living drop precipitously... but so do wages.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

Factor in state taxes and sales taxes...

Ok ... that too, but the point being ... regardless of age, state taxes (FL not included) and sales taxes are paid by everyone.  Millennials don't have it any rougher than anyone else.  As for their cost of tuition; they have a choice; go to college and pay the costs, or don't go to college and avoid the cost. We paid for our kids to go to college and no one bailed us out. We bought a pre-paid college plan when they were younger that covered partial tuition (lab fees not included) and dormitory.  Books, food, etc., weren't covered.  Both of my kids worked while they went to school to help cover the costs. 

Nope, I don't feel sorry for the Millennials. 

« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 09:26:41 pm by libertybele »

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee

indentured servitude from living 4 years at a country club, partying at a frat house.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
indentured servitude from living 4 years at a country club, partying at a frat house.

or...7 Years down the drain.  Might as well join the F'n Peace Corps.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

:yowsa:

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Well not just that, Millennials and the following generation Z live for the moment, they are all about eating out not in, coffee bought at Star*ucks not brewed at home, upscale bars and entertainment, expensive vacations, gadgets and always the next new gadget bigger TV, leasing expensive cars so they look good. Saving for the future and buying their own home just isn't their thing because they would have to cut back on their toys and fun

Offline roamer_1

And McMansion mortgages, and car payments, and every other thing bought on credit, making payments... and every kind of subscription and services automatically debited from your bank accounts. And ready-made meals, take-out, and every other sort of convenience.

And a six dollar cup of coffee every day...

I know. I seen me do it.
I LIVE on less than I once spent per month on coffee.

Offline libertybele

Well not just that, Millennials and the following generation Z live for the moment, they are all about eating out not in, coffee bought at Star*ucks not brewed at home, upscale bars and entertainment, expensive vacations, gadgets and always the next new gadget bigger TV, leasing expensive cars so they look good. Saving for the future and buying their own home just isn't their thing because they would have to cut back on their toys and fun

That sounds about right. Times have changed.  When we first married and after we had two children, we had a whopping $30 a week after our bills were paid -- that went for food, diapers, etc.  Yes, we were broke, but our bills were paid and we stretched our dollars.  I consider us one of the very lucky ones, my hubby worked for a gov't contractor and every 3 months he was given a Cost Of Living Allowance check -- we banked those checks for a couple of years and were able to put a down payment on a home .... the rest is history. Those were the times under Reagan. I felt secure, safe  and never dreamed that America would be in the shape that she's in.  Millennials are in for a major shock!

Offline roamer_1

Heh. GMTA

They want better than their daddy, and they want it right now.All for the low low monthly price of...

Offline roamer_1

That sounds about right. Times have changed.  When we first married and after we had two children, we had a whopping $30 a week after our bills were paid -- that went for food, diapers, etc.  Yes, we were broke, but our bills were paid and we stretched our dollars.  I consider us one of the very lucky ones, my hubby worked for a gov't contractor and every 3 months he was given a Cost Of Living Allowance check -- we banked those checks for a couple of years and were able to put a down payment on a home .... the rest is history. Those were the times under Reagan. I felt secure, safe  and never dreamed that America would be in the shape that she's in.  Millennials are in for a major shock!

That's right. I came up poor, and married poor... I know how it is done... But one of my businesses took off, and I done what folks with money do. It is an easy path, paved, well traveled,and high speed... The problem is there ain't no off ramp. And you're headed straight to hell.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
That's right. I came up poor, and married poor... I know how it is done... But one of my businesses took off, and I done what folks with money do. It is an easy path, paved, well traveled,and high speed... The problem is there ain't no off ramp. And you're headed straight to hell.
Good luck doing that these days!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

@jmyrlefuller all I can say is my bet is that you'll get married! When it happens, I'll be the first to tell you "I told you so"!

Offline roamer_1

Actually, since my divorce, I have had four shots at new marriage and I am (for all intents and purposes) poor as a church mouse. I have 20 acres under development off-grid, an 1100 ft2 house here close to town, and I own both of those free and clear... And my business which has been all but destroyed. Totally on my butt.

And I ain't likely to fix that. No intention to. I want to be poor. I want free time for hunting and fishing and gardening and foraging.

That means I have to quit chasing after the almighty buck and worry about subsistence.

And like I said, four good shots at gals willing to do the same, 2 of them extremely serious.

But then, I am looking specifically for a hilljilly. Nothing else will do. I want a gal that wants to live up in the holler, off grid, and way the hell out there. And there are some to pick from that know that life and want it.

So, no pal, money ain't the problem.