Author Topic: Leftist Canadian party seeks to create anti-free-speech zones around drag performances, punish 'offe  (Read 604 times)

Offline libertybele

Leftist Canadian party seeks to create anti-free-speech zones around drag performances, punish 'offensive remarks' with $25,000 fines

A Canadian political party has introduced legislation that would create anti-free-speech zones around drag shows and punish anyone caught making remarks deemed "offensive" by LGBT activists while in the vicinity.

The Ontario New Democratic Party is a radical leftist party that serves as the official opposition in the conservative-run province of Ontario. One of its parliamentary members, Kristyn Wong-Tam, chair of the city of Toronto's 2SLGBTQ+ Community Advisory Committee, held a press conference Tuesday, urging the Ontario government to spare men masquerading as women from criticism and to clamp down on free speech.

"The topic that brings us here is deadly serious," said Wong-Tam, a woman who refers to herself with plural pronouns. "The rise of hate and violence facing the 2SLGBTQI-plus communities, including the drag artists, happening across Ontario and right [across] the nation has been alarming."..........

https://www.theblaze.com/news/leftist-canadian-party-seeks-to-create-anti-free-speech-zones-around-drag-performances
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
You have no constitutionally protected free speech rights in Canada, so you're pretty much up a creek trying to stand on it.
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

You have no constitutionally protected free speech rights in Canada, so you're pretty much up a creek trying to stand on it.

The world is slowing turning into shambles.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online berdie

The world is slowing turning into shambles.

I don't think things are going too slowly. :(

Offline libertybele

I don't think things are going too slowly. :(

You are right @berdie   I chose the wrong words.

Online Kamaji

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Well, one look at El Jefe Maximo -- who's running Canada right now -- and it's apparent which way that country is going...

Offline LMAO

People assume that all Western countries have freedom of speech. They believe suppression of speech only exists in single party totalitarian states like N Korea or Cuba

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline mountaineer

One might have thought Canadians would demand freedom of speech, being so close to the USA where we presumably have that right, but apparently not.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Kamaji

Supposedly Canada has a right to free speech in their Charter of Rights and Freedoms, which is supposed to be analogous to the U.S. Bill of Rights; however, in practice, the government is allowed to censor a fair amount of speech.

Per wiki:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_expression_in_Canada