Author Topic: Final farewell: Offutt lab returns unidentified remains of USS Oklahoma sailors to Hawaii  (Read 171 times)

rangerrebew

Final farewell: Offutt lab returns unidentified remains of USS Oklahoma sailors to Hawaii

Steve Liewer Jun 24, 2021 Updated Jun 25, 2021

A ceremony was held for the unidentifiable remains of the USS Oklahoma from Pearl Harbor. The remains will be transported to Hawaii, where a group burial is planned.

LINCOLN — With a call to “present arms,” six-member teams of Offutt Air Force Base airmen lifted each of 10 flag-draped transfer cases, then carried them slowly and solemnly out of the hangar to a waiting truck.

The cases contained the last unidentifiable remains from the 429 men who died aboard the USS Oklahoma in the Dec. 7, 1941, Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

Most of them are small bones that were not sampled for DNA.

A truck took them to an Air Force C-17, which whisked them off to Hawaii. There they’ll be reburied, for a final time, in Honolulu’s National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific, on Dec. 7, the 80th anniversary of the shocking raid that brought the United States into World War II.

https://omaha.com/news/state-and-regional/final-farewell-offutt-lab-returns-unidentified-remains-of-uss-oklahoma-sailors-to-hawaii/article_0ef3eb44-d46b-11eb-9cb7-ff0bed4bafe3.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

Offline mountaineer

A relative of mine was one of the USS Oklahoma sailors recently identified and given a proper burial. I can't figure the exact relationship, but the sailor's great-great-grandfather was my great-x4-grandfather.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org