Author Topic: ‘Bunch of guns’ found in hotel room near MLB All-Star Game, cops feared possible ‘Las Vegas-style’ s  (Read 2171 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
‘Bunch of guns’ found in hotel room near MLB All-Star Game, cops feared possible ‘Las Vegas-style’ shooting
July 11, 2021 | Jon Dougherty

Police have arrested four people in connection with a potential plot to conduct a mass shooting during Major League Baseball’s All-Star Game in Denver after a maid found “a bunch of guns laid out” in a hotel room on Friday.

The firearms discovery was made in a room near Coors Field ahead of Tuesday’s All-Star Game, as authorities said they feared another “Las Vegas-style” shooting was being planned, reports said. The game was relocated to Denver from Atlanta earlier this year after Georgia lawmakers passed and Gov. Brian Kemp signed voter integrity legislation the MLB disagreed with.

That said, Fox 31 reported that police have no evidence to indicate that a mass shooting event was set to take place. Still, according to the Denver Post, police were concerned that another shooting similar to the massacre in Las Vegas in the fall of 2017 that left 58 people dead who were attending a concert near a hotel in Vegas, and hundreds more hurt or wounded.

more
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2021/07/11/bunch-of-guns-found-in-hotel-room-near-mlb-all-star-game-cops-feared-possible-las-vegas-style-shooting-1101903/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

... On Saturday, authorities said three men and a woman had been arrested, FOX 31 reported. The men were identified as Richard Platt, 42; Gabriel Rodriguez, 48; and Ricardo Rodriguez, 44, all taken into custody as part of an investigation into allegations of possession of a weapon by a previous offender, the station reported.

One of the male suspects posted on Facebook that he was recently divorced and wanted to "go out in a big way," sources told the Post.

The female suspect was identified as Kanoelehua Serikawa, 43, who was being investigated on possible charges of possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute.  ...
Denver maid reports ‘bunch of guns’ in hotel room near MLB All-Star Game site; 4 arrests: report (FOX)
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I wonder if two of those white Nationalist guys are related to Chai Chai Rodweeguezzzz?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline PeteS in CA

While the appearance certainly is sinister and deserving of caution, the Maven Hotel is a quarter of a mile or more from Coors Field's parking lots and parts of the stands that might be visible from the hotel. That assumes that the room they had overlooks the stadium area and that none of the other hotels and such obstruct that overlook.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
While the appearance certainly is sinister and deserving of caution, the Maven Hotel is a quarter of a mile or more from Coors Field's parking lots and parts of the stands that might be visible from the hotel. That assumes that the room they had overlooks the stadium area and that none of the other hotels and such obstruct that overlook.
That quarter mile is just over 500 yards. A decent shot with a good rifle could cause problems at that range, if not choose their target. A really good shot with a very good rifle could choose individual targets, given the line of sight to do so.

Carlos Hathcock had a confirmed kill at 2300 meters (2500 yards), and the record confirmed kill by a sniper was done at 3540 meters (11,614 feet) in Afghanistan by a Canadian  shooter. Both of those were .50 caliber rounds, but 1000 yard shots are fairly common in the .30 caliber family of rifles.

With some skill and very decent optics the possibility of a threat is there. That alone does not constitute a threat, just the means to deliver on one.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Whatever their intentions may have been one thing is for certain they are all dumber than a Biden voter for having left the weapons out in what was basically a display and not putting the do not disturb sign on the door to keep housekeeping out of the room.

Online roamer_1

Gee. People with guns in Colorado. Who'da thunk it?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@mystery-ak

Ok,I am saying some questions need to be answered before everybody gets their panties all in a wad.

1:What kind of guns were they,what caliber were they,and what kind of optics,if any,did the long guns have on them?

2a:WHO were the people in possession of those weapons?

2b: Did any of them have criminal records for violent behavioc?,

2c: Do the cops have ANY evidence at all these people intended to go on a shooting spree?

2d: Where there any gun shows happening close by these people could have been intending to visit to sell those guns?

The ONE thing we know to be a fact is that NO gun in history has ever decided to open fire on on anyone,at any time.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Whatever their intentions may have been one thing is for certain they are all dumber than a Biden voter for having left the weapons out in what was basically a display and not putting the do not disturb sign on the door to keep housekeeping out of the room.

@GtHawk

That is the big thing that makes me suspect this was no big deal. People planning stuff like mass shootings are careful to hide their weapons until it's time to shoot.

Offline mountaineer

@sneakypete - at least some of the men are being investigated for "possession of a weapon by a previous offender," so I'll guess felony records were involved; drug charges against two of the men also are pending. The woman with the Hawaiian name is being investigated for possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete - at least some of the men are being investigated for "possession of a weapon by a previous offender," so I'll guess felony records were involved; drug charges against two of the men also are pending. The woman with the Hawaiian name is being investigated for possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute.

@mountaineer

None of which have any connection to mass murder.

Online DB

Sound more like drug dealers setting up shop for the incoming fans. They have to protect their "product" from the local distributors who don't like outsiders...

Offline mountaineer

... A preliminary assessment indicated the stash of guns appears to be connected to a possible illegal transaction involving drugs and guns, according to an internal law enforcement memo obtained by ABC News.

But Denver Police Chief Paul Pazen said at a news conference Sunday afternoon that the investigation is in its early stage and that "nothing has been ruled out."  ...
ABC News

Offline PeteS in CA

While it is possible the “owners” of the guns just have an weird gun fetish, since they possessed the guns illegally I think these are reasonable possibilities (duplicating a comment or two above):

* An attempted mass shooting;

* Protection at the ready for something illegal, e.g. drug deals;

* A little private “gun sale” to others similarly unable to buy and possess guns legally.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Online roamer_1

While it is possible the “owners” of the guns just have an weird gun fetish, since they possessed the guns illegally I think these are reasonable possibilities (duplicating a comment or two above):

* An attempted mass shooting;

* Protection at the ready for something illegal, e.g. drug deals;

* A little private “gun sale” to others similarly unable to buy and possess guns legally.

How the heck do you purchase a gun illegally, other than receiving stolen goods?

Offline Smokin Joe

How the heck do you purchase a gun illegally, other than receiving stolen goods?
Someone who isn't supposed to have a gun (felon, or other disqulifier) purchases one through a private sale.
Someone who doesn't know the gun is stolen buying a stolen gun at near market rates (price high enough to not question provenance).  NCIC should be open to query by private citizens to help prevent this, but AFAIK, it isn't.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online roamer_1

Someone who isn't supposed to have a gun (felon, or other disqulifier) purchases one through a private sale.
Someone who doesn't know the gun is stolen buying a stolen gun at near market rates (price high enough to not question provenance).  NCIC should be open to query by private citizens to help prevent this, but AFAIK, it isn't.

Yeah, I already mentioned the 'Receiving Stolen Goods' part.

Personally don't care much for the felon exclusion, and won't pay it mind...
Too many of my friends kicked their heels a bit too high and wound up doing time... And according to government, lost the right to subsistance and self defense... And that's bullcrap. They paid their dues, and have to eat.

But thanks all the same for another angle.

Offline Smokin Joe

Yeah, I already mentioned the 'Receiving Stolen Goods' part.

Personally don't care much for the felon exclusion, and won't pay it mind...
Too many of my friends kicked their heels a bit too high and wound up doing time... And according to government, lost the right to subsistance and self defense... And that's bullcrap. They paid their dues, and have to eat.

But thanks all the same for another angle.
Yeah, here, after 5 years from end of sentence served, (for some offences) a guy can petition to have his rights restored. Smoke poles and archery remain in a pinch. "Receiving Stolen Goods" implies that the person was aware they were stolen, and sometimes that isn't the case (why my comment on the NCIC, which would help keep that down for people who deal with people they don't know).

But regardless of record, having illegal drugs and guns in the same place isn't a wise idea. The drugs make the guns illegal on the spot. Whatever they were up to, it looks like a reasonable bust that someone is trying to blow up into a preempted mass casualty event, and that part just might not be the case (but plays well with the antigun crowd).

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

Whatever they were up to, it looks like a reasonable bust that someone is trying to blow up into a preempted mass casualty event, and that part just might not be the case (but plays well with the antigun crowd).

Yeah, I got that too. Unless they were after a particular target, and in possession of passin fair skill, their choice of location seems... awkward... in the case of a Vegas style spree.

I mean 500 yds is not a thing for someone familiar with long shots... And there are plenty that can function at that range.... But I doubt that is Joe Banger.

Offline Smokin Joe

Yeah, I got that too. Unless they were after a particular target, and in possession of passin fair skill, their choice of location seems... awkward... in the case of a Vegas style spree.

I mean 500 yds is not a thing for someone familiar with long shots... And there are plenty that can function at that range.... But I doubt that is Joe Banger.
My take, too, unless those boys had some high dollar hardware. It's out there, but figure 4-5K for the optics and integrated targeting stuff (I won't elaborate, and only wish I could afford such a setup), and another 2-5K minimum for the rifle to hang it on. Still no guarantees, even in at 500 meters.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

PICTURED: Four suspects arrested in Denver hotel raid that uncovered 16 firearms and 1,000 rounds of ammo - as one insists it is a 'giant misunderstanding' and they were planning on selling them

Authorities raided two rooms at the Maven Hotel in Denver on Friday night after a maid spotted a rifle while cleaning
    Police uncovered a haul of 16 long guns, body armor and 1,000 rounds of ammunition. They also found drugs and a stash of cash
    Richard Platt, 42; Gabriel Rodriguez, 48; Ricardo Rodriguez, 44; Kanoelehua Serikawa, 43, were all taken into custody and charged following the raid
    The three men, who all have criminal histories in Colorado, are each charged with possession of a weapon by a previous offender, as well as other charges
    Serikawa is charged with possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute
    Police have released few details about the arrests or the ongoing investigation. They have also not disclosed how, if at all, the four suspects knew each other
    Platt, who works in construction and has a son, has prior convictions for weapons, drugs, theft and assault
    Ricardo Rodriguez said in jail interview that he had no knowledge of any plans to target the MLB game on Tuesday night 

By Emily Crane For Dailymail.com
Published: 10:42 EDT, 12 July 2021 | Updated: 17:32 EDT, 12 July 2021
... It is believed that the hotel rooms that were raided belonged to Platt and Ricardo Rodriguez. Ricardo admitted during the jail interview to having a handgun and AK-47 in his room. 

Ricardo said there was a haul of weapons inside Platts' hotel room.

'They had quite a bit. They had a sniper rifle, probably two of them. Three mid-sized assault rifles, AK-47s. Probably another short-entry weapon. Numerous firearms ranging from 9mm to 40mm,' he said. 

'He said he was collecting them for his friends. He had a lot of guns... I don't know what his intentions were.

'My understanding is he was going to be selling them, trading them, that's about it.'  ...

Offline PeteS in CA

... Three mid-sized assault rifles, AK-47s. ...

Unless they were select-fire, capable of full automatic, that's probably little more than "reporter" talk for, "It sure looks scary to me!"

And was "sniper rifle" reporterese for "hunting rifle with a scope"?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 11:11:03 pm by PeteS in CA »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@roamer_1

You do it by being one of those nasty people that buy a gun without seeking permission from your lord and masters in the local goobermint.

Online roamer_1

@roamer_1

You do it by being one of those nasty people that buy a gun without seeking permission from your lord and masters in the local goobermint.

I don't need no damn permission. And I'd reckon, neither do you, @sneakypete  :beer:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 12:48:55 am by roamer_1 »