Author Topic: Weissmann: ‘Anti-American’ for Tucker Carlson to Complain About NSA Surveillance  (Read 656 times)

Offline Hoodat

Weissmann: ‘Anti-American’ for Tucker Carlson to Complain About NSA Surveillance

PAM KEY   |   8 Jul 2021

Andrew Weissmann, the lead prosecutor for former special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe, said Thursday on MSNBC’s “Deadline” that Fox News host Tucker Carlson was “anti-American” for questioning being monitored by the NSA.

Weissmann said, “If you think about what Tucker Carlson could have done here, he could have followed the same route that “The New York Times” and other respected journalists did when they were incidentally overheard and may have, in fact, not been incidentally had their call records obtained by the Department of Justice. They could have gone to the attorney general, and Tucker Carlson could have joined them to say what I’m concerned about here is not that there was incidental collection when I am calling a foreigner, including if you try to reach out to Vladimir Putin, you can pretty much be sure you’re going to be high risk of being intercepted.”

He continued, “He could have said, look, there’s a First Amendment issue, and I want to be sure there are safeguards, but he didn’t take that route. He did, as you said, and as frank pointed out, he wanted to use this for his own purposes and to sow distrust which is so anti-American.  .  .  .

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2021/07/08/weissmann-anti-american-for-tucker-carlson-to-complain-about-nsa-surveillance/

For a lawyer, Weissman is lacking a great deal of coherence here.  But his point is unmistakably reminiscent of an earlier period when people were labeled as anti-German for questioning the actions of the Gestapo and SS.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

As a lawyer, he should be familiar with the Fourth Amendment.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis