Author Topic: California Judge Rules That Shooting Victims Can Sue Gun Manufacturer  (Read 945 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
California Judge Rules That Shooting Victims Can Sue Gun Manufacturer
By Jack Phillips
July 9, 2021 Updated: July 9, 2021

A California judge ruled that victims of a 2019 shooting in San Diego that left one dead and three wounded can sue the manufacturer of a rifle and the gun shop that sold it.

Superior Court Judge Kenneth Medel ruled (pdf) Wednesday that the victims and families in the shooting in Poway, California, can file a lawsuit against Smith & Wesson, one of the largest gun manufacturers in the world, over alleged negligence.

Lawyers for Smith & Wesson argued that the lawsuit was barred by the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA), a federal law that shields gun manufacturers and sellers from liability. The 2005 law prohibits arms manufacturers and dealers from being sued over crimes that were committed with their products, although there are exceptions to the rule.

The plaintiffs in the suit alleged that the gun maker violated California state law by designing the M&P15 rifle—similar to the popular AR-15 rifle—so that it can be easily modified. The suit, which is backed by the gun-control group Brady Center, also claimed Smith & Wesson’s marketing “attracted impulsive young men with military complexes who were particularly likely to be attracted to the unique ability of AR-15 style weapons,” according to reports.

more
https://www.theepochtimes.com/california-judge-rules-that-mass-shooting-victims-can-sue-gun-manufacturer_3894968.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Can auto accident victims sue Ford, Chevrolet, and Nissan?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
The plaintiffs in the suit alleged that the gun maker violated California state law by designing the M&P15 rifle—similar to the popular AR-15 rifle—so that it can be easily modified. The suit, which is backed by the gun-control group Brady Center, also claimed Smith & Wesson’s marketing “attracted impulsive young men with military complexes who were particularly likely to be attracted to the unique ability of AR-15 style weapons,” according to reports.

Clearly any vehicle manufacturer can now be sued if it manufactures a vehicle which can be easily modified and which is marketed to "impulsive young men" who are "particularly likely to be attracted to the unique ability of" such a vehicle to be driven recklessly.
James 1:20

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Sue the farmer who grew the corn that the distiller made into whiskey that the driver drank before running into someone on a park bench. It's the farmer's fault, right?

Well, no. Did the firearm malfunction? Did parts of the firearm fail, structurally? If not, then the product performed as it was intended to perform.

How that performance was applied is dependent on the actions of the user.

There are volumes of State, Federal, and local laws which deal with the improper use of, or even just modifications to, a firearm.
If someone used that product in contravention to those laws, better take it up with them.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 05:13:45 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Was the gun made in California, sold in California, was that particular gun used in a crime in California? As others have said what about car manufacturers whos cars were modified and used in crimes? I predict this will go to the Ninth Circus where the clowns will uphold this ridiculous ruling and then get slapped down(maybe) by the USSC. What's next sue knife manufacturers if one of their knives are used in a crime, hammers? the list of manufacturers to be sued could be very long indeed.

Offline thackney

So families of people that OD on pharmaceuticals can sue the manufacture as well.

This is going to be a long list.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
So families of people that OD on pharmaceuticals can sue the manufacture as well.

This is going to be a long list.

I'll sue McDonalds and Whataburger for making me fat.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
You're going to see more and more rulings like this in anti 2A states because the left wants to do away with the PLCAA.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline DefiantMassRINO

That's right, put another American industry out of business so criminals will only be able to illegally acquire foreign-made firearms.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
You just know that the shysters are trying to figure out some way for the ammo manufacturers to be included in this asinine scheme, especially now that they know they have a really stupid judge working with them.