Author Topic: Any China Invasion of Taiwan Could Spark Japan-U.S. Joint Defense: Deputy PM  (Read 474 times)

Online corbe

Any China Invasion of Taiwan Could Spark Japan-U.S. Joint Defense: Deputy PM

John Feng  6 hrs ago

A Chinese invasion of Taiwan could be an "existential threat" to Japan that would lead to a collective defense of the democratic island with the United States, Japan's deputy prime minister said.

Taro Aso, who also serves as finance minister, made the remarks at a fundraising event in Tokyo on Monday, according to a report by Japan's Jiji Press.

"If a major incident occurs in Taiwan, it's not at all unusual to consider it an existential threat [to Japan]," the senior official was quoted as saying. "In such a case, Japan and the United States will have to work together to defend Taiwan."

Observers have noted the finesse with which Japanese officials conduct diplomacy, including their careful use of words. The deputy PM's description of an "existential threat" is a choice phrase required to trigger the relevant self-defense clauses in Japan's otherwise pacifist constitution.

<..snip..>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/any-china-invasion-of-taiwan-could-spark-japan-u-s-joint-defense-deputy-pm/ar-AALPpKK
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline rustynail

Japan better plan like they are on their own.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I hope they remember how it is done.  Send them a copy of Tora Tora Tora. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher

And...  just whose side will Pedo Joe join once the bullets start flying.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Kamaji

Most likely he'll sit out and bluster about the U.N. and making increasingly strident verbal demands that the Chinese respect Taiwan's "special nature" or something hokey like that.  But, when push comes to shove, he'll stay bought.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 05:07:35 pm by Kamaji »

Offline skeeter

China has set the opening price at 10% of Hunters take. Will Japan be willing to pony up 15% for the Big Guy?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

He'll have to check his note cards and Jen pSaki will circle back to you on that.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
He'll now as soon as Mrs. Wilso....er....Jill tells him.