Author Topic: Vanessa Williams and PBS slammed for 'Black national anthem' performance  (Read 1147 times)

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Vanessa Williams and PBS slammed for 'Black national anthem' performance

There was backlash over Vanessa Williams performing for Independence Day before it even happened.
Williams hosted PBS' "A Capitol Fourth" on Sunday, and it had been announced that she would sing "Lift Every Voice and Sing," which has become known as the "Black national anthem."
In the promotion leading up to the show, Williams talked about including the song.

"It's in celebration of the wonderful opportunity that we now have to celebrate Juneteenth," USA Today reported the former Miss America saying. "So we are reflective of the times."

Juneteenth commemorates the emancipation of African American slaves and was declared a federal holiday in the US this year.

Conservative Twitter jumped on the "national anthem" part and declared it "divisive," "segregation" and "racist" to have any anthem other than "The Star Spangled Banner," which was scheduled to be performed by Grammy-award winner Renée Fleming.............

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/05/entertainment/vanessa-williams-black-anthem-trnd/index.html
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Last time I saw or heard anything from her...she was nekkid and they took her crown away.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mountaineer

How long is this Juneteenth thing going to be celebrated? Into August and September, as well?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
How long is this Juneteenth thing going to be celebrated? Into August and September, as well?

C'mon man ...maybe it's just that you ain't black enough.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Last time I saw or heard anything from her...she was nekkid and they took her crown away.

It wasn't the nekkid part so much, as where she put her face.  :whistle:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline AARguy

There can be only ONE NATIONAL ANTHEM, but many anthems. I assume the Rotary Club has an anthem... I know the Twilight Zone has a theme song (anthem). And I would speculate that the NFL has an anthem and I know Notre Dame has a fight song. But there is only ONE... NATIONAL ANTHEM that unites all of us. Want to have another anthem for vegetarians, non-smokers, or hot dog eating contestants? Have at it.

But there is only ONE... AMERICAN NATIONAL ANTHEM.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
The black anthem lift every voice and sing isnt' the Woke SJW thing conservatives think it is. It's been sung for like 50 years or something.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

All the way to next year's black history month.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online dfwgator

The black anthem lift every voice and sing isnt' the Woke SJW thing conservatives think it is. It's been sung for like 50 years or something.

That's not the point,  the point is that they are trying to make this country into an image to satisfy 12% of the population.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
All the way to next year's black history month.

January 19, 2022, if anyone else wants to plan....

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
It wasn't the nekkid part so much, as where she put her face.  :whistle:

Yep.  It was an Applebee's slogan moment.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.