Author Topic: Supermarkets Are Stockpiling Inventory as Food Costs Rise  (Read 1104 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Supermarkets Are Stockpiling Inventory as Food Costs Rise

Supermarkets are stocking up on everything from sugar to frozen meat before they get more pricey, girding for what some executives anticipate will be some of the highest price increases in recent memory.

Some supermarkets said they are buying and storing supplies to keep their shelves full amid stronger demand. Grocery sales in the U.S. for the week ended June 19 rose about 15% from two years earlier and increased 0.5% from a year earlier, according to Jefferies and NielsenIQ data.

Stockpiling by food retailers is driving shortages of some staples, grocery industry executives said, and is challenging a U.S. food supply chain already squeezed by transportation costs, labor pressure and ingredient constraints.
share your thoughts

The move is a reversal from last year when consumers hoarded groceries because of concerns about food availability, disrupting the food industry. Now, retailers themselves are stockpiling to keep costs down and protect margins............

https://www.wsj.com/articles/supermarkets-are-stockpiling-inventory-as-food-costs-rise-11625572980
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Supermarkets Are Stockpiling Inventory as Food Costs Rise
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 12:18:47 am »
Every once in a while we like to roast or rotisserie a whole chicken, so for the 4th of July we decided to rotisserie a chicken (We had it last night, and it was Deeeelish!!).  I ordered a 6 pound roaster from Instacart from our local Kroger.

I got 6 chickens.  Thank goodness I had plenty of room in the deep freezer.  Now, I have 5 huge chickens in there.  Without expecting it, we are now hoarders.  Maybe we are, I have dozens of Tenderloin Beef already.  We got about a dozen bacon-wrapped tenderloins as a mistake from Omaha Steaks, so we got them free.

We have meat coming out the ying-yang...I think we got lucky, the chicken was $1.19/lb and we know it's going to get really expensive soon because Biteme.

I wasn't going anywhere with this, it just hit me.  I need to buy more golf balls.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 02:20:18 am »
Every once in a while we like to roast or rotisserie a whole chicken, so for the 4th of July we decided to rotisserie a chicken (We had it last night, and it was Deeeelish!!).  I ordered a 6 pound roaster from Instacart from our local Kroger.

I got 6 chickens.  Thank goodness I had plenty of room in the deep freezer.  Now, I have 5 huge chickens in there.  Without expecting it, we are now hoarders.  Maybe we are, I have dozens of Tenderloin Beef already.  We got about a dozen bacon-wrapped tenderloins as a mistake from Omaha Steaks, so we got them free.

We have meat coming out the ying-yang...I think we got lucky, the chicken was $1.19/lb and we know it's going to get really expensive soon because Biteme.

I wasn't going anywhere with this, it just hit me.  I need to buy more golf balls.
Better not to spread the word around of your stash too widely.

It may be like ammunition that turned into gold lately so may be a tempting target to some.

Now the golf balls, no.  I can dive into a water hole and pull out as many as I need.  Been doing that since I was young.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 02:25:15 am »
Better not to spread the word around of your stash too widely.

It may be like ammunition that turned into gold lately so may be a tempting target to some.

Now the golf balls, no.  I can dive into a water hole and pull out as many as I need.  Been doing that since I was young.

888high58888 888high58888
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 02:25:23 am »
We have dozens of golf balls we've picked up in the rough or fished out of the water hazards. Shall I FedEx them to you, Cyber?

Whenever beef tenderloin is on sale, I buy a whole one and cut it into petit filets. The freezer is pretty full of chicken breasts right now but runnung low on hamburger. I will try to rectify the situation shortly.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 02:32:29 am »
We have dozens of golf balls we've picked up in the rough or fished out of the water hazards. Shall I FedEx them to you, Cyber?

Whenever beef tenderloin is on sale, I buy a whole one and cut it into petit filets. The freezer is pretty full of chicken breasts right now but runnung low on hamburger. I will try to rectify the situation shortly.

Yes, I did that for years.  Cut 'em like you want 'em.  I saved the Pizmo Point (if I get stuck with one) to make roasts, rolled in Grey Poupon and shaved horseradish.  Yum!
I will NOT comply.