Author Topic: Energy company wants $15B from Biden administration for blocking Keystone XL pipeline  (Read 1235 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

TC Energy Corporation, the company that developed the Keystone XL pipeline project, is seeking to recover more than $15 billion in damages from the United States, claiming the US government breached its free trade obligations when it revoked the permit for the project.

The energy company announced in June that it is pulling the plug on the controversial Keystone pipeline project after the Biden administration revoked the permit on the president's first day in the White House. The announcement ended more than a decade of controversy over the pipeline, marking a win for environmentalists who argued the project would worsen the climate crisis.

To recover economic damages from the project's cancellation, TC Energy on Friday filed a Notice of Intent with the US State Department to initiate a legacy NAFTA claim under the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement, the company said in a statement.

When the permit cancellation was announced, TC Energy warned that it would "directly lead to the layoff of thousands of union workers."

The project, which aimed to carry oil from the tar sands of Canada into the United States, has been the subject of controversy for years, igniting conversations about environmental, political and social justice issues. The end of the Keystone XL project could push environmentalists to pressure Biden to end other projects, including Line 3 and the Dakota Access pipeline.

https://6abc.com/politics/keystone-xl-pipeline-developers-wants-$15b-from-biden-administration/10861232/

Am wondering how solid their position is.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online libertybele

I would love to see the Biden administration reverse course on this .... but what's $15B when you're spending trillions?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The direct damage is only part of the picture. Hundreds, if not thousands of businesses along the pipeline route will lose a lot of revenue, especially felt in small towns, along the pipeline route because they will not be housing, feeding, or otherwise doing business with the workers as they transit the area while constructing the pipeline. Such economic shots in the arm can be vital to the economies of those small communities. Not to mention operator's, maintenance and route inspection jobs to ensure all is working as it should (and to keep the ecoterrorists from damaging the pipeline, valves, pig stations, and other infrastructure.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I would love to see the Biden administration reverse course on this .... but what's $15B when you're spending trillions?
I'd like to see every mom and pop gas station, convenience store, hotel, motel diner and restaurant (for starters) toss in a class action suit as well for lost revenue. It's be harder to make it stick, but a good lawyer could likely make the case in front of a jury, given the chance.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

TC Energy commences NAFTA claim following revocation of Keystone XL Presidential Permit

CALGARY, Alberta, July 02, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- News Release –

TC Energy Corporation (TSX, NYSE: TRP) (TC Energy or the Company) announced today it has filed a Notice of Intent to initiate a legacy North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) claim under the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement to recover economic damages resulting from the revocation of the Keystone XL Project’s Presidential Permit. 

TC Energy will be seeking to recover more than US$15 billion in damages that it has suffered as a result of the U.S. Government’s breach of its NAFTA obligations.

The Notice of Intent was filed with the U.S. Department of State, Office of the Legal Adviser.

https://www.tcenergy.com/announcements/2021-07-02-tc-energy-commences-nafta-claim-following-revocation-of-keystone-xl-presidential-permit/

TC Energy has the law on their side.  He should have to pay the judgment personally since the decision was not backed by Congress.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline AARguy

Making the government pay for bad decisions is a good first step. We need more of this. Perhaps we can "defund  democrats" and keep them from wasting our taxes on destructive things like CRT in schools. If the Congress can't stop them, maybe WE can.

Offline Killer Clouds

Making the government pay for bad decisions is a good first step. We need more of this. Perhaps we can "defund  democrats" and keep them from wasting our taxes on destructive things like CRT in schools. If the Congress can't stop them, maybe WE can.
Election day is when you defund the demonrats. Unfortunately there are too many stupid people in the US that elect demonrats and their policy.

Online libertybele

I agree, but stopping them has to start at the local level; city, county, state.  Conservatives aren't going to succeed from the top down as there are too many RINO's  along with a very corrupt DOJ.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
Odd how much concern there is about government after the election, in contrast to little concern there was for a genuine election at election time when concern would have really mattered and made a difference!  Like jumping off a high cliff with the rocks below, and deciding to get serious half way down!
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Odd how much concern there is about government after the election, in contrast to little concern there was for a genuine election at election time when concern would have really mattered and made a difference!  Like jumping off a high cliff with the rocks below, and deciding to get serious half way down!
you suggest we were compliant before the last election?

Where do you get that?

Go back and look at the archived threads.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
They just need to change their corporate name to some Chinese sounding conglomerate.  Then they'd get the cash plus interest.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
IsailedawayfromFR:
you suggest we were compliant before the last election?

christian:
Odd, i don't recall saying anything like everybody or all are guilty of such.  As i was in many angry discussions with people at that time.  May be you were gone for a month or two and missed some very emotional angry discussions then ?  NeverTrumpers were running wild then.
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions