Author Topic: A Short History Of ‘Battle Hymn Of The Republic’  (Read 131 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
A Short History Of ‘Battle Hymn Of The Republic’
« on: July 04, 2021, 01:42:37 pm »
 A Short History Of ‘Battle Hymn Of The Republic’

Its powerful apocalyptic vision of a reckoning God captured the civil religion sentiment of a Union fighting for freedom for all people.

By Christine Weerts
July 4, 2021

On July 4, 1863, Chaplain Charles McCabe and his unit, the 122nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry, were sitting in the dank Confederate prison in Richmond, Virginia. There were rumors that a great battle had just been fought in a town called Gettysburg about 200 miles north. Prison officials told them the Union had been defeated. They despaired.

Then a man who worked at the prison whispered to one of the men, “No, that was wrong.” The Battle of Gettysburg, fought July 1-3, was a great Union victory, he said. Many now believe it was the turning point of the war. The men cheered and wept, and McCabe led them in the jubilant ballad:

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord

He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored

Hhe has loosed his fateful lightning of his terrible swift sword

His truth is marching on.

more
https://thefederalist.com/2021/07/04/a-short-history-of-battle-hymn-of-the-republic/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: A Short History Of ‘Battle Hymn Of The Republic’
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 05:11:35 pm »
I always thought the Battle Hymn was a take-off on John Brown's Body....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: