Author Topic: Arizona official says California's electrical power grab could lead to outages  (Read 3152 times)

Online Hoodat

Arizona official says California's electrical power grab could lead to outages

Elizabeth Troutman   |   Jul 2, 2021

(The Center Square) - The head of the Arizona Corporate Commission worries that California power officials moving their wattage to the front of the line would export power outages to Arizona and elsewhere.

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) recently decided to allow the California Independent System Operator (CAISO) to prioritize energy flow throughout California over Arizona. This concerns to the chairwoman of the Arizona Corporation Commission (ACC), Lea Márquez Peterson.

CAISO petitioned FERC to make changes to its tariff related to transmission priority through California in response to the extensive blackouts in August 2020. The summer readiness plan approved by California's primary grid operator deprioritized the electrical wattage sent outside the golden state when the power demand is high.

.  .  .  .  .

This summer, when California utilities are short on power, due to the tariff changes, Márquez Peterson said CAISO could cancel contracts and block energy at the border, allowing CAISO to repurchase power intended for Arizona for itself. She fears this will force Arizona's utilities to struggle to make up for power they had already paid for and rely on. The tariff change, she said, benefits Californians at the expense of the health and wellbeing of Arizonans.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/arizona/arizona-official-says-californias-electrical-power-grab-could-lead-to-outages/article_51278106-db82-11eb-8cc9-2f4e9c5e60e2.html

Rigging elections has consequences, Arizona.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The next Holdomor will be done over energy, not food.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Time for a simple solution:

Online rustynail

California Über Alles.

Offline Smokin Joe

Time for a simple solution:

Better get nonconductive handles...or you'd never have to worry about a utility bill again.

Better yet, trip the breakers, then disconnect it.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Joe wrote:
"Better get nonconductive handles...or you'd never have to worry about a utility bill again.
Better yet, trip the breakers, then disconnect it."

Heh, the pic was intended to be allegorical (I think that's the right word).
I don't think they make one with a long-enough handle for 750,000 volts...!

Offline Smokin Joe

Joe wrote:
"Better get nonconductive handles...or you'd never have to worry about a utility bill again.
Better yet, trip the breakers, then disconnect it."

Heh, the pic was intended to be allegorical (I think that's the right word).
I don't think they make one with a long-enough handle for 750,000 volts...!
There's cheap ways to make a mess of such, but I won't elaborate.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Huh. I thought there was a lot more power leaving Arizona going to California to make up for deficiencies in the California grid rather than the other way around.

@thackney - do you know?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline PeteS in CA

AFAIK, California has been an electricity net importer for decades, especially from the Pacific Northwest.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline thackney

Huh. I thought there was a lot more power leaving Arizona going to California to make up for deficiencies in the California grid rather than the other way around.

@thackney - do you know?

@IsailedawayfromFR

California invested heavily in solar power. Now there's so much that other states are sometimes paid to take it
https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-fi-electricity-solar/
JUNE 22, 2017

California was the largest net electricity importer of any state in 2019
https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=46156
DECEMBER 7, 2020

California was the largest net electricity importer of any state in 2019. ... In 2019, California's net electricity imports were the largest in the country at 70.8 million megawatthours (MWh), or 25% of the state's total electricity supply.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
A couple weeks ago, we had several 122F days in a row.  Going into that spell, we got a notification from the Electric Cooperative that supplies electricity to most of the city that we may have an over-stressed grid because of California. We were warned we could have rolling blackouts at peak periods, which was a great concern when it's >120F.  It didn't happen.  I live in a tiny part of the city that doesn't get power from the Co-op, but I don't know if we were ever at risk in the Castle.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

@IsailedawayfromFR

California invested heavily in solar power. Now there's so much that other states are sometimes paid to take it
https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-fi-electricity-solar/
JUNE 22, 2017

California was the largest net electricity importer of any state in 2019
https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=46156
DECEMBER 7, 2020

California was the largest net electricity importer of any state in 2019. ... In 2019, California's net electricity imports were the largest in the country at 70.8 million megawatthours (MWh), or 25% of the state's total electricity supply.
Seems then the best reciprocal course of action for Arizona would be to negate the export to California if that state does that to Arizona.

I realize that Arizona makes money off both ends, the import and export, but when it comes to servicing its citizens, that should be the higher priority.  Just like California is doing.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

A couple weeks ago, we had several 122F days in a row.  Going into that spell, we got a notification from the Electric Cooperative that supplies electricity to most of the city that we may have an over-stressed grid because of California. We were warned we could have rolling blackouts at peak periods, which was a great concern when it's >120F.  It didn't happen.  I live in a tiny part of the city that doesn't get power from the Co-op, but I don't know if we were ever at risk in the Castle.
I do hope you don't have an overly-political grid overseer like we have in Texas.

Time to contact your state reps as Arizona citizens are the priority here.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
They are trying to get people used to limited electricity. Imagine having the power to say "If you oppose us, you could lose your electricity until you get into alignment".
Countdown to Resignation

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I do hope you don't have an overly-political grid overseer like we have in Texas.

Time to contact your state reps as Arizona citizens are the priority here.

The AZ Corporation Commission is as crooked as they come.  Rats and RINOs.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Hoodat

In Georgia, we have the Public Service Commission made up of five elected members.  The Libertarians always run candidates in these races.  The races are rarely partisan since there is really no political benefit to these seats.  It pits the people against regulated utilities and other businesses (e.g. intrastate moving and relocation, trucking, etc.)  Several years ago, they approved construction of two new nuclear reactors at Plant Vogtle, the first to be constructed in over 30 years.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Ours were appointed by the Governor as patronage positions and all have been fired since the debacle of this past winter.

Now Abbott has appointed three new ones.

Yes, public pressure can achieve results.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Ours were appointed by the Governor as patronage positions and all have been fired since the debacle of this past winter.

Now Abbott has appointed three new ones.

Yes, public pressure can achieve results.

Yeah, the only problem with AZ's Commission is all these low-information voters.  9999hair out0000
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

They are trying to get people used to limited electricity. Imagine having the power to say "If you oppose us, you could lose your electricity until you get into alignment".
Just as Stalin's people would never admit the collective farms were a total failure, and sent troops to the Ukraine to confiscate their grain (starving millions of Ukrainians to save face and feed the Russian cities),  Unca (Dementia) Joe will never admit that the GND is a dismal failure or that 'renewables" are not sufficient for peak load--or even base load in days which will bring on heavy usage, and will do what is necessary to maintain power in the urban enclaves where his alleged vote base is. (Besides, urban blackouts mean crime waves).

Red State America is at risk, especially in the North during winter and the south in summer.

The next Holdomor will be over energy.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 11:16:46 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

Still well worth your time to look into a fail-over jenny... Power it by NG if you have it, or propane with a big tank out back somewhere... and you will be nearly impervious to blackouts, rolling or otherwise.

A bunch of folks up here are going to diesel - A big Cummins jenny that feeds right out of the diesel storage for the farm.

Online roamer_1

Just as Stalin's people would never admit the collective farms were a total failure, and sent troops to the Ukraine to confiscate their grain (starving millions of Ukrainians to save face and feed the Russian cities),  Unca (Dementia) Joe will never admit that the GND is a dismal failure or that 'renewables" are not sufficient for peak load--or even base load in days which will bring on heavy usage, and will do what is necessary to maintain power in the urban enclaves where his alleged vote base is. (Besides, urban blackouts mean crime waves).

Red State America is at risk, especially in the North during winter and the south in summer.

The next Holdomor will be over energy.

YUP. And why it is wise to get off-grid as much as possible. Some of that is alt energy. Some of that is learning how to live without. But if you want to keep your independence, getting off the teat is imperative.

Online roamer_1

California is a good example of what is coming. The megacities have the political power, and they use it to suck the surrounding countryside dry - of both power and water. They take from agriculture to the point that agriculture cannot be sustained. Whole farms are going under for want of power or water.

The only way out is to get out. Once the land is sucked dry, the megacity will fail. It is coming, sure as God made little green apples. And nationally, the very same thing. Power and water will go to sustain population centers, with the rest left wanting. Literally starving out the ag lands that feed them.

Get out. Get independent of it. It is going to fail.

Online HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
How will people power their electrical vehicles ?

Oh my ?

Online roamer_1

How will people power their electrical vehicles ?

Oh my ?

Here ya go!

Online Hoodat

California is a good example of what is coming. The megacities have the political power, and they use it to suck the surrounding countryside dry - of both power and water.

Ayn Rand wrote a book about it.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-