Author Topic: Be Safe: Don't Visit Your Dying Parent. Don't Leave Your House. Don't Get Married. Don't ...  (Read 310 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Be Safe: Don't Visit Your Dying Parent. Don't Leave Your House. Don't Get Married. Don't ...
Dennis Prager

Posted: Jun 29, 2021 12:01 AM

As many observers have noted, staying safe has become a religion. "Safetyism," as it is sometimes called, like all religions, places what it values -- in this case, being safe -- above other values. Safetyism explains the willingness of Americans to give up their most cherished values -- including liberty -- in the name of safety for the last year and a half.

Millions of Americans not only gave up their right to go to work, earn a living, attend church or synagogue, and visit friends and relatives, but they even gave up their right to visit dying relatives and friends. One can assume that nearly every person recorded as having died of COVID-19 died without having a single loved one at their bedside from the moment they entered a hospital until their death. The acceptance of such cruelty -- irrational and unscientific cruelty, one might add -- can only be explained by the failure of generations of schools and parents to teach liberty, while successfully teaching the worship of safety. If your father had to die alone, it was worth it for the sake of safety; if your mother had to be in what amounted to solitary confinement in a nursing home for more than a year, that, too, was worth it for the sake of safety. And, of course, if political leaders and leaders in science and medicine have to lie for the sake of safety, so be it; truth, too, is less important than safety.

None of this is new. Twenty-five years ago, I wrote and broadcast about the willingness of Americans to watch individual rights crushed in the war against smoking, and especially in accepting the absurdity of the allegedly lethal dangers of secondhand smoke. No one denies that intense exposure to secondhand smoke can exacerbate preexisting illnesses such as asthma. But the anti-smoking zealots' claim that 50,000 Americans die each year from exposure to secondhand smoke is nonsense. For example, in 2013, the Journal of the National Cancer Institute reported that there was no statistically significant relationship between lung cancer and exposure to passive smoke.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline PeteS in CA

Being recovered and vaxxed, I probably assume more risk when I get out of bed in the morning, as did people who chance to come into close proximity to me. Only the dead incur zero risks.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I have stopped listening to Dr. Strangelove Fauci and I Learned to Stop Worrying, and Love the Chinese Kung Flu.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline roamer_1

Y'all started being safety people when you stopped riding in the back of pickups and started requiring helmets on motorcycles. Now all we're arguing is degrees.  :shrug: :whistle:

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Y'all started being safety people when you stopped riding in the back of pickups and started requiring helmets on motorcycles. Now all we're arguing is degrees.  :shrug: :whistle:

First thought I had... bicycle helmets...let alone motorcycle helmets.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline roamer_1

First thought I had... bicycle helmets...let alone motorcycle helmets.

Bicycle helmet - never owned one. Don't think I have ever had one on.

Motorcycle helmet (loosely defined) - YES I own one. and it's a full wrap w/comms and the whole 9 yards... But that's for stock cars and off-road 4WD and occasional boat racing... And MAYBE dirt bikes. Never worn one on the highway, though I am more likely to be on 4 wheels on the highway anyhow. And yes, I STILL ride in the back of a pickup every chance I get.

Offline goatprairie

I remember as a kid in the fifties and sixties riding on the handlebars of a bicycle. Very common in those days. And no helmets. Any kid wearing a helmet in those days would have been scorned by every other kid.
I suppose many parents today would have a heart attack seeing a kid riding on the handlebars without a helmet.