Author Topic: Hate robocalls? You'll love what's coming June 30  (Read 1865 times)

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Hate robocalls? You'll love what's coming June 30
« on: June 25, 2021, 07:35:45 pm »

CNET
Marguerite Reardon
June 24, 2021

A big deadline in the fight to beat back those annoying robocalls is coming June 30. As of that date, every major voice provider in the US, including phone companies AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile and cable provider Comcast, will have to implement a technology called Stir/Shaken.

That's good news for everyone whose phone has been jangling with bogus phone calls involving health-related scams, expiring car warranties and fake banks offering nonexistent interest-rate discounts for credit cards. For years, the scourge of illegal robocalls has plagued the public. It's the No. 1 consumer complaint and a top priority at the Federal Communications Commission.

US consumers have received just under 22 billion robocalls in the first five months of the year, on pace to hit over 52 billion robocalls for the year, according to YouMail, a company specializing in blocking robocalls.   

(more)
https://www.cnet.com/news/hate-robocalls-youll-love-whats-coming-as-of-june-30/
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Hate robocalls? You'll love what's coming June 30
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2021, 09:03:52 pm »
Sounds nice, however I get numerous crap calls every day and when I google them they are legitimate numbers in the area code they supposedly come from but they are all spoofed, how will this stop those? Also as long as the do not call list is flagrantly violated and allows any "charity" or "political" call to continue to invade my phone it is absolutely worthless, just as I figure this new technology will be as soon as the robocallers figure out how to sidestep it.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 02:42:39 am »
Nothing will change between 6/30 and 7/1.  The article even says the major carriers adopted the changes many moons ago.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 05:47:38 pm »
Nothing will change between 6/30 and 7/1.  The article even says the major carriers adopted the changes many moons ago.
The only thing that changed or improved the situation for me was the option on my iPhone to silence unknown calls, so now I don't have to be irritated by BS calls and can check them or block them at my leisure.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2021, 05:51:06 pm »
I just don't answer. Problem solved
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2021, 08:57:49 pm »
Comcast now "verifies" that the incoming call is from a bona-fide number by putting "[V]" ahead of the displayed number on caller ID. This is for users who have VOIP phones ("land-line" phone coming in over the internet).

We'll see how long until the scammers can spoof this, too.

How the phone is handled here (I have NoMoRobo):

The phone rings...
-- If it's a known scam call, NoMoRobo cuts it between the 1st and 2nd ring (when called ID is transmitted). The call ends.

-- If it's a non-verified number, and I KNOW it's not a number from which I would receive any legitimate call (out-of-state area code), I just "lift and drop" the receiver. The call ends.

-- If it's a non-verified number, and I'm uncertain about it, I let it "go to the answering machine". If it's a spoofed RoboCall the robot itself cuts the call after the answering message is played. If it's a recorded message or even actual person, I review it after the caller hangs up. 90% of the time I just hit "delete" and it's gone.

-- If it's a verified number, and I recognize the number or caller name, then I -might- answer it by lifting the receiver. No promises, however -- sometimes I'd rather not be bothered. If it's a legitimate caller, I -might- call them back. No promises.

As you have probably discerned, I don't care for the telephone, and use it rarely.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2021, 09:02:39 pm »
As you have probably discerned, I don't care for the telephone, and use it rarely.

Phones are there for OUR convenience, not somebody else's.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online rustynail

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 09:55:48 pm »
How will I get my warranty renewed?

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2021, 12:14:36 am »

How will I get my warranty renewed?
They finally stopped calling me. I don't know why?
After 50+ "Final Warrantee Call", haven't receive one of those for a couple of weeks.
Maybe they realized that I do not own a car. Maybe they got tired of the effort.
Whatever? It is a lot more peaceful without the phone ringing twice a day for this nonsense.

But yes, very little will change. At least there is an 'effort' to stop or reduce these calls.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline thackney

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2021, 01:00:39 am »
When suspecting scam call, just answer the phone with:

"Hello, thank you for calling the CIA. You've reached the scam and fraud division.

"All of our agents are currently assisting other callers.

"To further assist you, please hold while we download your incoming and outgoing call logs to be analysed against our database of known scam and fraud operations.

"An agent will be with you shortly."

https://www.ladbible.com/news/viral-man-scares-off-spam-callers-by-impersonating-cia-recording-20210621
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2021, 01:06:00 am »
When suspecting scam call, just answer the phone with:

"Hello, thank you for calling the CIA. You've reached the scam and fraud division.

"All of our agents are currently assisting other callers.

"To further assist you, please hold while we download your incoming and outgoing call logs to be analysed against our database of known scam and fraud operations.

"An agent will be with you shortly."

https://www.ladbible.com/news/viral-man-scares-off-spam-callers-by-impersonating-cia-recording-20210621
Not really a very good idea.
1. They are used to this kind of answer.
2. Answering a robocall raises the priority of your phone number.
'Answering' marks your number as an 'interaction', which means you will only receive more calls than before, from all kinds of people.
These guys sell and share their lists with history with each other.