Author Topic: Pentagon Plan Sets Navy Up To Quickly Shed 30% Of Cruiser And Destroyer Fleet  (Read 657 times)

rangerrebew

un 23, 2021,09:50am EDT
Pentagon Plan Sets Navy Up To Quickly Shed 30% Of Cruiser And Destroyer Fleet
Craig Hooper

The Navy’s new shipbuilding plan, released in mid-June, telegraphs enormous cuts to America’s large surface combatant fleet of cruisers and destroyers. The mild verbiage from the report, saying “that growing the small surface combatant force enables reductions in the quantity of large surface combatants while yielding a more distributed and lethal force,” masks a likely brutal downsizing.

The cuts will be deep and potentially rapid. Today, 92 large combatants are in the fleet, but the Navy’s longer-term plans suggest the legacy large surface combatant fleet of Ticonderoga Class (CG 47) cruisers, Zumwalt Class (DDG 1000) destroyers and Arleigh Burke Class (DDG 51) destroyers will shrink to a fleet of 63 to 65 large surface vessels over the next 30 years. Amphibious assault vessels (LHA/LHDs and LPDs) and command, support and fast transport ships will be cut as well, and the future small surface combatant fleet of littoral combat ships and frigates is only projected to grow to between 40 and 45 ships from a current fleet of 35.

The cuts are widespread, but one place the axe falls hardest is upon the Navy’s large surface combatant fleet. First, the Department of Defense will force the Navy to eliminate the entire 22-hull Ticonderoga Class cruiser fleet. But even that drastic cut is not enough for the Navy to get to the Department of Defense’s current projection of 63 to 65 ships. With 88 Arleigh Burkes in service, under construction or already authorized, Arleigh Burke destroyer procurement will likely cease and 27 older Flight I, Flight IA and Flight II Burkes will be ushered out of the fleet.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/craighooper/2021/06/23/dod-plan-sets-navy-up-to-quickly-shed-30-of-cruiserdestroyer-fleet/?sh=b6ce09660123

rangerrebew

Let me see here.  The Navy is getting rid of cruisers and destroyers; the AF is shedding aircraft; the Marines have dumped tanks; the Army and Guard are shedding personnel.  And all this while Russia and China are expanding their militaries.  What's Milley doing?  Is he planning to get all gays and trannies pink Honda 50s to rid on base, with pink leather jackets; pink uniforms;  crying towels; gay clubs on each base with the savings? Will he force everyone to read "My Two Mommies" to expand their knowledge?   :im waiting:

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
It's all part of the demo-communist plan.
Otherwise known as... setting things up for surrender...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Which leads to what should be the obvious questions,"What happens to all the sailors that were enlisted to man all those boats that will no longer be floating?"

Not to mention "What happens to all the shore support people that kept those floating sailors happy,healthy,well fed,and well armed?"

I was not a squid,but my GUESS is there were more support sailors than there were floating sailors.

Is the Navy prepared to just give those people the boot,and make them lose any hope of the early retirement they were looking for in exchange for working longer hours for less money?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Yeah, let's scrap the ships that work, and swap them out for gunboats that have to be towed back to port.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

rangerrebew

@sneakypete

"What happens to all the sailors that were enlisted to man all those boats that will no longer be floating?"

This is the modern military, run by thoroughly modern Milley and nothing is manned anymore.  If  such terms need be changed to the PC ways of the military to "personned" all those boats would be good. :silly:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 11:50:12 am by rangerrebew »