Briefing Room Polls (Guests Welcome!) > The Briefingroom Polls

Do you sleep with the TV on?

(1/4) > >>

corbe:
What Sleeping with the TV on Does to Your Body, Says Science

John Anderer  8 hrs ago

For many of us, falling asleep in front of the television is practically a modern rite of passage. In some cases, it's even a necessity.

According to a national survey put together by LG Electronics, roughly two-thirds of Americans (61%) fall asleep with the TV on regularly. A similar survey published in the journal Behavioral Sleep Medicine found that 31% of Americans straight-up consider their TV set a "sleep aid.

"Why have our favorite TV shows turned into bedtime stories for so many? It probably has something to do with our inability to disconnect. A poll put together by the National Sleep Foundation and published in the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine reports that 9 in ten Americans use some kind of electronic device in the hour before bed, with 60% of that group admitting their device of choice is the TV.

Considering those statistics, it makes perfect sense why so many fall asleep mid-episode. So, what's the big deal anyway? If it helps you drift off into a peaceful slumber, who cares if snippets of Netflix are chirping in the background? While it's true that the familiarity of your television will no doubt help many of us unwind and relax after a long day, snoozing away with the TV blaring in the background could be affecting you and your sleep quality more than you realize.

For many of us, falling asleep in front of the television is practically a modern rite of passage. In some cases, it's even a necessity. According to a national survey put together by LG Electronics, roughly two-thirds of Americans (61%) fall asleep with the TV on regularly. A similar survey published in the journal Behavioral Sleep Medicine found that 31% of Americans straight-up consider their TV set a "sleep aid."

Why have our favorite TV shows turned into bedtime stories for so many? It probably has something to do with our inability to disconnect. A poll put together by the National Sleep Foundation and published in the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine reports that 9 in ten Americans use some kind of electronic device in the hour before bed, with 60% of that group admitting their device of choice is the TV. Considering those statistics, it makes perfect sense why so many fall asleep mid-episode.

So, what's the big deal anyway? If it helps you drift off into a peaceful slumber, who cares if snippets of Netflix are chirping in the background? While it's true that the familiarity of your television will no doubt help many of us unwind and relax after a long day, snoozing away with the TV blaring in the background could be affecting you and your sleep quality more than you realize.

<..snip..>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/what-sleeping-with-the-tv-on-does-to-your-body-says-science/ss-AALopZA?ocid=msedgntp

mystery-ak:
No I sleep with a fan pointed right at me...even in winter.

rustynail:

--- Quote from: mystery-ak on June 24, 2021, 10:10:07 pm ---No I sleep with a fan pointed right at me...even in winter.

--- End quote ---
Same here.

corbe:
   Always. 

I try and turn it down so as to not bother @Texas Robin, when she's here, but I've found through the years that it gets me to sleep faster and doesn't seem to wake me up later.

mountaineer:
I need complete silence to be able to sleep. Much as I like having a window open, the chirping birds drive me nuts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version