Yes
7 (38.9%)
No
11 (61.1%)
What's a TV?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: July 14, 2021, 10:08:00 pm

Author Topic: Do you sleep with the TV on?  (Read 4207 times)

Offline corbe

Do you sleep with the TV on?
« on: June 24, 2021, 10:08:00 pm »
What Sleeping with the TV on Does to Your Body, Says Science

John Anderer  8 hrs ago

For many of us, falling asleep in front of the television is practically a modern rite of passage. In some cases, it's even a necessity.

According to a national survey put together by LG Electronics, roughly two-thirds of Americans (61%) fall asleep with the TV on regularly. A similar survey published in the journal Behavioral Sleep Medicine found that 31% of Americans straight-up consider their TV set a "sleep aid.

"Why have our favorite TV shows turned into bedtime stories for so many? It probably has something to do with our inability to disconnect. A poll put together by the National Sleep Foundation and published in the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine reports that 9 in ten Americans use some kind of electronic device in the hour before bed, with 60% of that group admitting their device of choice is the TV.

Considering those statistics, it makes perfect sense why so many fall asleep mid-episode. So, what's the big deal anyway? If it helps you drift off into a peaceful slumber, who cares if snippets of Netflix are chirping in the background? While it's true that the familiarity of your television will no doubt help many of us unwind and relax after a long day, snoozing away with the TV blaring in the background could be affecting you and your sleep quality more than you realize.

For many of us, falling asleep in front of the television is practically a modern rite of passage. In some cases, it's even a necessity. According to a national survey put together by LG Electronics, roughly two-thirds of Americans (61%) fall asleep with the TV on regularly. A similar survey published in the journal Behavioral Sleep Medicine found that 31% of Americans straight-up consider their TV set a "sleep aid."

Why have our favorite TV shows turned into bedtime stories for so many? It probably has something to do with our inability to disconnect. A poll put together by the National Sleep Foundation and published in the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine reports that 9 in ten Americans use some kind of electronic device in the hour before bed, with 60% of that group admitting their device of choice is the TV. Considering those statistics, it makes perfect sense why so many fall asleep mid-episode.

So, what's the big deal anyway? If it helps you drift off into a peaceful slumber, who cares if snippets of Netflix are chirping in the background? While it's true that the familiarity of your television will no doubt help many of us unwind and relax after a long day, snoozing away with the TV blaring in the background could be affecting you and your sleep quality more than you realize.

<..snip..>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/what-sleeping-with-the-tv-on-does-to-your-body-says-science/ss-AALopZA?ocid=msedgntp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Do you sleep with the TV on?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 10:10:07 pm »
No I sleep with a fan pointed right at me...even in winter.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online rustynail

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 10:11:16 pm »
Same here.

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 10:12:08 pm »
   Always. 

I try and turn it down so as to not bother @Texas Robin, when she's here, but I've found through the years that it gets me to sleep faster and doesn't seem to wake me up later.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 10:26:04 pm »
I need complete silence to be able to sleep. Much as I like having a window open, the chirping birds drive me nuts.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 10:29:32 pm »
Well, yeah, but only if I fall asleep unexpectedly.
I am more prone to listen to something in bed... Coast2Coast is a favorite... But anything of a documentary flavor will do... I pipe that through a tablet on my headboard, turned face down for darkness.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 11:06:37 pm »

Me too. Any little noise wakes me up.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 01:08:17 am »
I can't sleep with the TV on. But I do sleep with the radio (Internet radio now) on.
Let it burn.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 01:17:37 am »
It isn't the noise that bothers me, (I usually sleep on drilling locations during my off tour when working) so steady noise is a lullaby (I have awakened when it got too quiet for too long out there), but it is the constant flash-flash-flash of ads designed to catch your attention when you are awake.

I either turn it off, mute it on some noncommercial channel and read the subtitles, or on occasion doze off sitting in front of one...(and then sleep poorly, I think because the flashes from the ads disrupt REM sleep).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 01:20:24 am »
No way. Everything off except the air purifier for a little white noise to mask the wife’s snoring.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2021, 01:34:27 am »
While in the military, sleeping aboard ship was an adventure.
There is activity 24hrs a day. And some of it is very loud.
I learned to sleep anywhere with any kind of noise.
So the answer is yes. I sleep with the TV on.
Not because of any show per se, doesn't really matter. I just like the sense of activity.

But only with paid commercial free streaming channels. Can't sleep with regular TV on.
Late night commercials on regular TV are way too loud.
They would wake someone out of a coma. Which is what they are designed to do.
HULU will shut itself off after a few hours anyway. So I usually wake up with the TV off.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline corbe

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2021, 01:55:35 am »
   The shows I sleep to are usually History Documentaries (pre recoded), if I am still awake when commercials come on I hit the fast forward button 4 or 6 times.  I usually don't have to do that twice.  At around 8 or 9 the next morning I wake up to the local news and immediately turn the TV off. 

Rinse, Lather, Repeat.

Considering how much I pay monthly for Dish, Nyquil would probably be cheaper.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2021, 02:22:02 am »
No TV.  No noise.  No light.  Pitch black.  The slightest noise or light keeps me up.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2021, 02:43:15 am »
I may fall asleep with the TV on but can't stay asleep. I need quiet, fortunately being deaf in my right ear I get blessed silence sleeping on my left side.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2021, 03:08:14 am »
While aboard a carrier was assigned to the forward berthing compartment.
During flight ops when an aircraft landed it would land right on top of my bunk.
There would be a huge BOOM! ... dragging chain on the landing ... then dragging it back for the reload. All night long.
It would violently shake our bunks. If you can sleep though that, a TV is like a lullaby.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2021, 05:33:35 pm »
I used to when I was a kid.

As a teenager, it was usually the radio.

Now, I need a dark and quiet room to sleep.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline thackney

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2021, 11:45:01 am »

We always keep a fan on for white noise, even when we point it at a corner when it is winter.

But now we want total darkness for sleep.  Windows are covered with doors for blackout.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2021, 07:51:59 pm »
We always keep a fan on for white noise, even when we point it at a corner when it is winter.

But now we want total darkness for sleep.  Windows are covered with doors for blackout.

it's funny... I do the fan thing too, but not really for the noise. After so much time sleeping outside, I don't sleep well without air movement. So it's pointed right at the bed, and rotating back and forth to simulate or rather create air currents.